NSC - Hotel and Parking Recommendations

<p>We just registered for the May 29th NSC. Anyone have recommendation on a good TAMU hotel and also how best to handle parking? Is there a hotel within walking distance? Parking seems expensive and I cannot tell which option allows you to get closest to NSC event.</p>

<p>I do not believe there really is a hotel with in a short walking distance to the university. There are some very short drive options. Here is a link to all the hotels/motels in the area: <a href=“http://www.visitaggieland.com/hotels/hotels-motels-inns/?sfilter=A&efilter=G&HASDTN=1&MAXSHOW=10&SORTDIR=ASC&SHOWMAP=true&TOTALRESULTS=13&STARTROW=1&SORTBY=hasDTN%20DESC,rankid%20ASC,sortCompany%20ASC&USERANK=1&DISTANCE=0&SUBCATID=17&CATID=2&LATITUDE=0&ITINERARYTHEMEID=0&LONGITUDE=0&LISTIDS=0&REGIONID=0”>http://www.visitaggieland.com/hotels/hotels-motels-inns/?sfilter=A&efilter=G&HASDTN=1&MAXSHOW=10&SORTDIR=ASC&SHOWMAP=true&TOTALRESULTS=13&STARTROW=1&SORTBY=hasDTN%20DESC,rankid%20ASC,sortCompany%20ASC&USERANK=1&DISTANCE=0&SUBCATID=17&CATID=2&LATITUDE=0&ITINERARYTHEMEID=0&LONGITUDE=0&LISTIDS=0&REGIONID=0&lt;/a&gt;
There are a lot of nice hotels down University Drive in College Station.</p>

<p>Students and families do have the option to stay on campus during the NSC for a small fee. </p>

<p>Probably your cheapest option is to purchase a weekly parking pass for $12 and park in the West Campus Garage. You can purchase the parking permit here: <a href=“https://transport.tamu.edu/account”>Error; </p>

<p>There is an NSC parking permit - you will want to drive, although some hotels are ‘on the edge of campus’ it’s a very big campus-- at least a 20-30 min brisk walk to the closest hotels-- NSC days are very long. DO park in designated areas… both NSCs I’ve been to had parents with parking tickets. It designates what lots you can park in- there are several on the one pass. It was $12 for the whole time. We have stayed in every Hilton brand & Marriott brand & Hyatt in College Station. They’re all fine - nothing super special - located all within the corridor near campus ( along Texas Ave. & University). The key is to make a reservation asap, the rooms disappear quick (that’s why we have stayed in all the different hotels). You really don’t spend much time at the hotel. Make sure you have internet service, you’ll need it to find classes. The kids can stay on campus- mine both opted to stay in the hotel. </p>

<p>Thanks for all of the feedback. We thought about staying on campus, but my S preferred a hotel. Little nervous still. I searched and found that the Ramada College Station has an $85 + tax rate and the hotel gets great reviews. We will probably buy the parking pass.</p>

<p>Anyone know what time registration starts on Day 1? We cannot stay the night before but plan to drive to campus from San Antonio (3 hours). I cannot seem to find a schedule posted yet, although I’m sure we will get one.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>This is what I was able to find from their website about times:
“*Please note: A Freshmen New Student Conference Sample Schedule will be posted to this page by March 14, 2014. Conference schedules are provided online for your convenience and planning purposes. Specific schedules for each New Student Conference date will be posted a week before the conference date. Program times and locations are subject to change. You will receive an official finalized scheduled of events at NSC Check-In.” </p>

<p>Looks like they will be mailing a packet in April about the NSC. </p>

<p>In the past, there is an optional pre-conference day - it started at 2pm and went until 930pm ( it included checkin from 2-4pm). Then day 1 starts at 8am for check in or 9am/10am if you had already checked in – last activity of the day started at 830pm. Day 2 started at 830am with class registration that afternoon- the latest you are done is 6pm. No guarantee it is the same, but this was the schedule in the past. Hope it helps.</p>

<p>To add to the above, it does specifically say that although they encourage you to attend pre-conference day it is NOT mandatory and “you will not be at a disadvantage if you are unable to attend”.</p>

<p>Don’t stress! A lot of it is optional, just do as much as you want to do. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express very close (driving distance) to campus. We paid for the NSC parking pass and had no problems! Enjoy it!!!</p>