NSLI-y 2021-2022

I think we should know by 12/8. Just a guess based on the Yes Abroad application process which is administered by AFS

1 Like

I’m so nervous!! I have been checking my email so much these past 3 days.

2 Likes

Me too! It’s so stressful…

2 Likes

I was chosen as a semi-finalist!

3 Likes

Lol. Just got mine back too! I was worried I am a freshman.

1 Like

Where do you see what program you got?

It’s only one of the two choices.

My first was Russia and second was Arabic.

I’m a semifinalist!! My top choice was korean academic year

1 Like

Does it tell you which program you are a semifinalist for? I put down two choices.

Turkish AY semifinalist here!

1 Like

WOOHOO I got semi finalist too! Anyone know how much that narrowed the pool? I think I heard it cut out about half.

1 Like

they said somewhere that the pool gets narrowed by half or by two thirds at semi finalist level, and then from there half, one third, or one fourth of the semi finalists become finalists, at least in past years. I think it’s all based on how many people apply though so it might be more or less accepted this year.

So I can’t add a link but remove the spaces

eca dot state dot gov/files/bureau/fy2020_nsli-y_nofo dot pdf

It is the program proposal. Looks like 650 kids should be selected. It breaks it down my languages and summer vs school year.

2 Likes
  1. Arabic: 92 for summer; 15 for academic year. Programs may be proposed for
    Egypt, Jordan, and Morocco. If security considerations permit and ECA concurs,
    programs in additional countries may be added at a later time.
  2. Chinese (Mandarin): 199 for summer; 34 for academic year. Programs may be
    proposed for the People’s Republic of China and Taiwan.
  3. Hindi: 32 for summer; 5 for academic year. Programs may be proposed for India.
  4. Indonesian: 15 for summer. Programs may be proposed for Indonesia.
  5. Korean: 85 for summer; 15 for academic year. Programs may be proposed for the
    Republic of Korea (South Korea).
  6. Persian (Tajiki or Farsi): 15 for summer. One program may be proposed for
    Tajikistan.
  7. Russian: 107 for summer; 16 for academic year. Programs may be proposed for
    Belarus, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Moldova, Russia, and Ukraine.
    The majority of participants should be placed in Russia.
  8. Turkish: 15 for summer; 5 for academic year. Programs may be proposed for
    Turkey.
    C. U.S. Depart

Hi! I’m a semifinalist for summer program, but I’m not sure if I should start the medical form stuff right away, or should I wait so see if I get an interview? Because it’s risky to get the medical exam with covid and all, so I don’t want to get it all for nothing if I don’t get selected for interview. Thoughts?

Semifinalists will get an interview. Just have it turned in by the deadline in February.

This year is different and according to the website/email only some semifinalists for summer will get an interview.

Hello! Does anyone know how to tell which program you are a semifinalist for?

You are a semi-finalist for NSLI-Y in general. That said - over 99% of finalists end up in their first choice. It is very rare to get your second choice.

yeah that’s hella stressful