NSLI-y 2021-2022

Hi! I’m a 2020-2021 semifinalist with Hindi as my first choice and then any country as my second. Does anyone know when we will know if we get an interview?

@cincinnatiii They’re reviewing applications for summer again. Top summer applicants will get an interview, and will be notified on a rolling basis between January and March. Academic year should know by January 15th or so. You need an interview to make finals (last I heard).

Do you mean that we’ll be notified for interviews between January and March for semifinalist summer?

Yes, if you are chosen for interviews you’ll know sometime in those three months. Really hoping they miraculously all come out in January at this point because I don’t think I’ll be able to wait three months!

1 Like

that’s so stressful! have they always done this only-top-semifinalists-get-interviewed thing for summer program or is it different this year for some reason?

No I think it’s new

Hey guys, just in case you haven’t heard yet, some applicants for Tajiki summer have received a notification from NSLI-Y that they were selected to receive an interview.

Can confirm :slight_smile:

Some Hindi Summer notifs are out too :slight_smile: Anxiously waiting for Russian notifs, even though my odds of getting an email are infinitesimally small.

1 Like

Has anyone heard if Turkey summer interviews have been extended?

Has anyone heard about the Chinese summer interviews?

I just got notified about the Hindi interviews :slight_smile: Good luck to everyone else!

It’s been shared by an alum (and now interviewer) that interview notifications will come out on a rolling basis.

The site, MyAFS, has the following shared as an overview of how interviews will go. It’s public on their website, it just doesn’t pop up on Google right away. These are just estimates by the AFS, and obviously things change but it was updated a week ago so it’s fairly recent information.

• December: Approximately 75 summer applicants to be released, in addition to NSLI-Y academic year applicants and YES Abroad applicants
  • January: Approximately 250 summer applicants.
  • February: Approximately 430 summer applicants.
3 Likes

Thank you very much Ghostmorning! Do you think if you haven’t heard by beginning of month that the next batch of interviews will be given next month or do you think they are inviting applicants to interviews all month long?

Some applicants for Indonesia have just received a notif, so month-long notifs :slight_smile:

My son is a semi-finalist for the year-long NSLIY and has yet to hear about an interview. He will email if he has not heard by Friday, 1/15 which was the date in the notification e-mail.

Can confirm, I just received an email for my summer Indonesia interview.

Does anyone know if the program is still planned to be in person?

Congrats! Hope it goes well!

1 Like

In the email to the semi finalists it says that it is still planned for in person, and I haven’t gotten any information suggesting otherwise, so I think so.