NSLI-y 2021-2022

Has anyone who is a Korean summer semi-finalist gotten an email about interviews yet? Should we still email if we haven’t gotten a response about interviews yet?

I don’t think any Korean summer only applicants have received emails yet. Only AY applicants are supposed to hear by the 15th and there is no end date for summer applicants (it could be anytime between now and March I think) so I would not email as the SF email states only AY applicants should email.

hey, I applied for the study abroad program in germany and I haven’t gotten a reply yet, is that normal?

Has anyone been notified yet of an interview for the Chinese summer program?

I applied for Chinese and I haven’t heard back anything either.

Hello, has anyone received interview for the summer Arabic?

1 Like

This for summer Russian too…thanks

Russian came out yesterday! Can personally confirm :))

Yep! Around 4pm (EST) if anyone cares.

yep I got it as well! Good luck to everyone who got it

1 Like

Hey all, I’m looking to see if anyone has any insight into the weeding out process of those who don’t really need NSLI-Y resources to learn a target language.

When I started an application before I noticed that there was a note acknowledging that they try to distribute the program places to those who have not lived abroad (among other things ofc). I’ve lived abroad for a couple of years bc my parents have worked in embassies but there are absolutely no opportunities to learn my target language at our post and we don’t have the $$ for pricey language programs in the US or elsewhere. The website does note that preference is given to ppl who do not have critical language resources in their home community. Basically, I’m wondering if my lack of “critical language resources” in my community will at least cancel out my residency abroad so I’m not dinged on my application

TLDR: Moved abroad but now I have practically no way to learn the language. Will living abroad still hurt my app?

Thanks!

i haven’t :cold_face:
if anyone’s gotten summer arabic please let us know tyty

I haven’t gotten an interview request for summer arabic yet :frowning:

Not quite certain. I know a Russian semifinalist who qualified for an interview who’s mother is from Russian and who went to visit family in Russia a year or so ago. It’ll likely depend on how strong the rest of your application is. Good luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like

chinese was my second choice and hindi my first, I got mine last week

Hello guys! I’m a semi-finalist for Summer China. Just thought I’d join the thread. I heard that China usually has more slots open. Do you guys know if this is true?

I believe the Chinese summer program is slated to have 200 or so participants, but there are more because more people apply to that particular program, so I’m not sure if it means much. good luck!

Do you know if any semifinalists have received an interview for the China summer program yet?

i just got mine

Did anyone receive an interview request for summer arabic yet?