NSLI-y 2021-2022

I am also a Russian summer semi-finalist, and still have not gotten an email saying when my interview will be, I’m thinking of emailing them in a week, but I think it’s just taking really long to coordinate everything.

I’m a semi-finalist for Russian AY and YES Abroad (?, I don’t know if they do semi-finalist status, but they wanted a medical form, and my interviewer asked about both programs).

I’ve never applied to these programs or been a part of discussion forums/groups, so I’m not sure what the timeline is like for releasing selection decisions. I know decisions will be done by April 23, but has there been a release pattern from the past few years? I’m only asking because I am graduating this year, and this would be a gap year kind of deal, and I would be deferring university for a year. Also, is there any notification if you do not get selected as a finalist or alternate? Questions applicable for both NSLI-Y and YES.

My D21 also applied to both NSLI-Y and YES. It is my understanding that NSLI-Y announces semi-finalist; whereas YES does not.

For YES there appears to be some level of consistency… but NSLI-Y has been a complete mess for decisions. Below is a summary the decision releases for the past 3 years:

YES PROGRAM
2020 = March 10 - 2nd Tuesday
2019 = March 11 - 2nd Monday
2018 = March 12 - 2nd Monday

NSLI-Y PROGRAM
2020 (Chinese) = April 21 - 3rd Tuesday
2019 (Chinese) = April 5 - 1st Friday
2018 (Chinese) = April 13 - 2nd Friday

Hopefully you can draw something from this.

2 Likes

Hi Mainahh… Welcome to the CC NSLI-Y forum.

1 Like

Does anyone know if there are currently any NSLI-Y AY students oversea? I thought I heard that some Taiwan were able to return a while back. But I could be wrong.

Yes, some AY students were able to go abroad to Taiwan. There’s an Instagram one of the groups started if you want to look it up.

1 Like

Do you by any chance know the notification dates for other languages?

No… the above dates are for the NSLI-Y AY Chinese program only. You can probably go through past forums and look for the languages you are interested in. Summer announcements typically occur in March. AY decisions come in waves (per language) in April.

Did anyone else apply to YES-Abroad? Decisions seem delayed compared to past 3 years of decisions.

Are any of you tempted to call to find out when finalist notifications will begin to come out? I was so hoping there would be some update or information today!

No plans to call… the receptionists typically do not share any insight on application status or decision release timing. If you do call, please share any feedback.

From what I hear, the YES-Abroad decisions appear to be delayed compared to past years; no announcements as of today (historically they have been released March 10-12).

i sent a message via facebook messenger… left me on read. i’ll take that to mean they don’t intend on releasing any info beforehand

As expected :sweat_smile:

Hey guys! I’m a Korean AY year semi-finalist, and I already had my interview back in January. I noticed that on the semi-finalist portal it says the deadline for the medical forms and photos is March 24th, but in the semi-finalist notification email and on the instructions in the portal it says everything was due February 24th. I already submitted everything before the Februrary deadline, but I never got an email reminding me of the deadline or telling me to submit anything. Did anyone else see this or have this issue? I wasn’t sure whether to email them about it but I guess I was a little confused.

I saw that too. Seems fine since we got everything submitted though. I hope nobody forgot about the Feb. deadline.

They moved the deadline to the 24th of March.

I got the email saying I qualified for an interview for Russian Summer on February 2. It has now been 7 weeks and I haven’t gotten any more communication from NSLIY or any affiliated emails about when my interview was going to happen. I emailed them at the start of the weekend, havent gotten any replies, but im getting really concerned that there’s some sort of problem and I won’t get my interview in time to be considered for a finalist position. Just wondering if there are any Russian Summer people who qualified for interview but haven’t recieved any more info, or any other NSLIY program for that matter who has the same problem.

I don’t know of anyone, but a good idea would be calling them just to make sure that if there is a problem or they overlooked something, it’s clear that you’ve tried every means possible to reach them. I also hear calling is the quickest way to get in touch with them.

I don’t have their number, I’m not on Facebook or anything, would you mind posting their number here? Thanks!

nevermind, found it, but thank you so much