NSLI-Y Summer 2023

Anyone have any sense of when semi finalists for the summer will know if they are going or not? My family and I are trying to plan a summer trip and we would like to move forward with plans.

3 Likes

here are last year’s dates! my prediction is that notifs will start coming out this Friday.
March 11th, 2022 Bahasa Indonesian, Turkish, and Tajiki Persian Summer acceptances
March 18th, 2022 Mandarin Summer acceptances
March 19th, 2022 Arabic and Hindi Summer acceptances
March 25th, 2022 Korean Summer acceptances
March 29th, 2022 Mandarin Virtual Summer Intensive acceptances
April 1st, 2022 Summer rejections for Russian, Arabic, Korean, Mandarin Summer
April 8th, 2022 Mandarin AY acceptances
April 12th, 2022 Russian Summer, Russian Virtual Summer Intensive, Arabic AY acceptances
April 19th, 2022 Korean AY acceptances
April 22nd, 2022 People got emails about some notifications being delayed
April 27th, 2022 Russian AY acceptances & NSLI-Y is finished with sending out notifications

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I was starting to think I wouldn’t get a response. I really appreciate this!!

No problem! I was actually wrong about my prediction though, as some people have started receiving indo/turkish/tajiki notifications!

If you think of it and hear anything about Korea can you let me know? Thanks so much

1 Like

and do applicants hear either way?

Does anyone know if acceptances and rejections for the same language are sent out on the same day? Where did the 2022 notification dates list come from? Thanks for any more info anyone can provide.

Generally yes (based on 2019 experience)—it went country by country summer program and then country by country AY program.

I got the list from the NSLI-Y Discord server made by applicants/alumni. Generally, whenever someone receives a notification, they let everyone else know.

1 Like

Of course! That’s the program I applied to as well, so I’m eagerly anticipating the results.

First batch of finalists and alternatives for these languages are out today! Good luck and congrats to all.

1 Like

How likely is it that an alternate will be accepted to the Tajiki program, if they are a sophomore?

How likely is it that an alternate will be accepted to the Tajiki program, if they are a sophomore?

I heard that Hindi went out today from the other CC thread, but I would love to know how that person knows that and how many people were chosen for Hindi already. Hoping that more will come out in the next few days.

Someone sent a Hindi acceptance screenshot in another space! No notifications today, though :disappointed:. I’m hopeful for tomorrow and Friday.

Can someone tell me if Turkish summer has definitely gone out?

Yes Turkish summer is out. My kid is not in Turkish but discord revealed that finalists and alternates contacted 3/6. You may have a note on the application website.

oof, same me too. do you know if they send all of the finalist emails all at once, or if they gradually send them out? Also what are the chances of me getting a spot as an alternate?

acceptances and alternates are released together, and rejections are released together later. I don’t know the chances of getting bumped up, but it’s not uncommon! Good luck!

1 Like

thank you for the response. We did not receive anything for Turkish. Does anyone ever really get picked for their second choice. I know there are a lot more spots for Arabic.