Nurse anesthesia or anesthesiologist

<p>I really want to be an anesthesiologist it's too many years is it possible for me to become an nurse anesthesia and work for a while then go and become an anesthesiologist im just wondering is it anyway i can work myself up to be an anesthesiologist that's my main career goal please help</p>

<p>So BA+Med school+residency is too long but BSN (probably a 5 year plan to get in all the new MCAT requirements)+work for two years in critical care+ graduate degree to become a CRNAand THEN med school + residency isn’t? Advanced practice nurses are not doctors. Advanced practice nusring is not a shortcut to being “just like” a doctor. The only way to become an anesthesiologist is to go to medical school and specialize. There are no shortcuts.</p>

<p>There is no need to assume someone taking that path is being lazy or trying to find a shortcut, there are many reasons as to why someone would not want to directly study onward to become an anesthesiologists. As such I intend to go from BSN to 4 years of military service to CRNA to possibly med school simply because continuation of school is not what I want to do, without accomplishing other things in between. To OP it is definitely possible to go from nurse anesthesia to anesthesiologist but it just wouldn’t be the quickest way. </p>

The short answer is probably not. There is no crossover for classes taken as a nurse that count for medical school.

Plus, you need to study and pass the MCAT just to get into medical school and when you apply for a residency, you may not get in one and will have to reapply the following year.

To become an anesthesiologist you need:

After completing a four year bachelor’s degree, students then take four years of graduate education leading to a degree in medicine (M.D.) or osteopathy (D.O.). After receiving a medical degree, students must complete four more years in an anesthesiology residency.