Nursing Application advice for a future Undergrad

I am trying to find good nursing schools/programs to apply for my first-year of college I am aware of the how competitive it is and I am curious if there are any suggestions anyone could provide to me. Some things I’m looking for: Out of state, In-state, direct entry/admit nursing, student life, and merit scholarships.

From what my college-counselor, she said for out of state schools like Arizona, I have high chances of being accepted and receiving merit scholarships. However, she has not been much help in terms of figuring out the best schools for me.

• If there is any constructive criticism or something I am missing please do comment on it * :) Stats: 3.9 weighted GPA and 1100 SAT ( taking another one soon) Schools: (* stars are private from my research) Chico Fresno Long Beach Dominican () Seattle Uni * University of SF * Gonzaga * Xavier University of Washington

I should also add in Stanislaus, from what I recalled, my college counselor said that I would have some type of “priority” within the pre-nursing pathaway if I apply for the county I live in. (please do correct me if I am wrong)

Also I was also suggested to take Dual Enrollment Classes and specifically “medical terminology” because it will add a point to my nursing application (after my two years of pre-nursing) however, it is only transferable in CSU’s. I need advice for that also :)))

@tessellates
Yes, nursing is very competitive. You didn’t mention what year in high school you are. If you can try to get the SAT score up by taking it again. Figure out your budget early and make sure you/your parents can afford. Here is the info on the schools you talked about. Only two CSUs and 2 UCs are direct entry in California. HTH
@Gumbymom is one to explain the Stanislaus question and what EI you need etc. She will likely chime in

CSU Chico- not direct entry, prenursing
CSU Fresno- not direct entry, prenursing
CSU Long Beach-not direct entry
Dominican () direct entry
Seattle Uni * direct entry
University of SF * direct entry
Gonzaga * direct entry
Xavier
BSN keep a 2.7 to stay in
University of Washington- prenursing
CSU Stanislaus - not direct entry, prenursing
Arizona State- Direct
University of Arizona not direct preprofessional nursing

All CSU’s with exception of Cal Poly SLO will use the Eligibility index and major to rank applicants. All Direct admit Nursing programs (SDSU and CSU Fullerton) along with the Pre-Nursing programs at the CSU’s are impacted meaning you need a High GPA and SAT scores to get an acceptance and there are more qualified applicants than spots available in these programs.

(CSU Capped Weighted GPA x800) + (SAT Math + EBRW)= Eligibility index.

So based on your current stats, (3.9x800) + (1100)= 4220 is your EI.

Entering a CSU as a Pre-Nursing Freshman does not guarantee admission into the Nursing school. You must all the Nursing school requirements and maintain a specific GPA to qualify to apply to the Nursing school at Stanislaus, Chico, Fresno And Long Beach.

The Direct Admit CSU’s EI minimums are around a 4500+ but that can change based on the # of spots available and the stats of each in-coming Freshman Class.

An EI of 4220 should get you into Chico State, Stanislaus and Fresno State Pre-Nursing but again it will be based on your EI ranking. Bumping up your SAT scores are the best way to increase your chances. CSULB will probably be tough with your current stats.

Run the Net Price calculators on all out of state schools along with any private CA schools to make sure they are affordable. Merit scholarships are based on GPA (usually Unweighted) and test scores and you may have a difficult time with your current stats.

Best of luck.

College confidential (and some other websites) have a search function that allows you to highlight colleges with various features. For example, here are some of the colleges that offer nursing degrees but have private or out of state tuition of less than $30,000 a year (before aid.) The stats are for all undergrads, not just the nursing program.

Arizona State University at the Tempe campus
Tempe, AZPublic, 4-year College
In-State$10,522
Out-of-State$27,372
Acceptance84%
Average GPA3.5
Campus SettingUrban

University of Maryland University College
Adelphi, MDPublic, 4-year College
In-State$7,296
Out-of-State$12,336
Acceptance100%