Nursing BSN

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Would like some help sorting this out. I am/have applied to 15 colleges that have bsn programs. Some are 2+2, and some are direct entry. Here are my stats.</p>

<p>weighted gpa 3.92/top 19% in a highly competitive high school
21 of my courses are honors, ap or aice (cambridge ap)
sat 1810
act 28 (taking again in october, hoping for 30)
I am in the stem program at my high school</p>

<p>I have worked as an intern over the past 3 summers in our local hospitals.</p>

<p>Im applying or have applied to:</p>

<p>uva (fat chance)
unc (better chance of being run over by elephant)
fau
uf
fsu
university of south carolina
university of conn
university of tenn
ucf
usf
unf
clemson
northeastern</p>

<p>any thoughts or suggestions on what my chances are of getting admitted to the above noted colleges.</p>

<p>What state do you live in? That is particularly important for nursing schools because some public colleges save most of their seats for in-state students.</p>

<p>I live in Florida</p>

<p>First, you need to really think about whether you can tolerate the change in weather from spending the winter in Boston or Connecticut.</p>

<p>There are many moderately priced private colleges with good nursing programs. They will often be close in price to the out of state price of many public universities. They typically offer much smaller classes than large public universities.</p>

<p>Another recent thread has discussion about getting into UVa’s nursing program. The odds are certainly against that option. Also, few out of state students bother to apply to UNC Chapel Hill because they are limited to 10% out of state.</p>

<p>Two things to consider. First, the NCLEX pass rate of the school (most of these are probably good), second, the cost and scholarships available. Look for schools in states that are offering big scholarships for nursing majors, they are out there. And remember, when you graduate from school, you are going to be a new grad, and get paid the same amount of money to work the same shifts as someone that went to a cheaper school than you did, and passed the same licensing test you took. So don’t put yourself into unnecessary debt for your BSN. And good luck!</p>

<p>Another thing to consider in terms of selection is the type of hospitals you will be doing your practicums in. Typically, hospitals in larger cities are more progressive and expose you to more interesting or more challenging types of patients. </p>

<p>I went to nursing school 30 years ago in San Francisco and did my rotations all over the city. I was exposed to a variety of environments from the county hospital, SF General to the prestigious Stanford in Palo Alto.</p>

<p>Yes, nursing schools that are not in major metropolitan areas typically limit your options for clinical experience. You may get fewer hours, may need to spend more of your clinical hours in places where there are less opportunities to learn (such as prisons and nursing homes vs. hospitals), and may have to drive much longer distances to get to clinicals. </p>

<p>In comparison, in a major metro area, there are typically many more hospitals and you may be able to get to them via mass transit without needing to buy a car.</p>

<p>hghschjunior
did you get into the nursing programs you listed on this thread? my d is going through
same thing you did last year … only this year. any advise?<br>
accepted so far fsu direct admit got scholarship
waiting on Emory -reach
unc -smaller reach
u miami - good chance</p>

<p>thanks. any advise helpful</p>

<p>I was admitted to many nursing programs. I applied to 18 colleges and got in to 16. UNC told me to take a hike and so did UF. I am currently at FSU. I am in the nursing program, this is my freshman year. Its hard to tell you much more than that as you are truly just doing prerequisites until year 3. I had 33 credits come with me from highschool from ap and aice classes, so i’ve been doing the nursing prereqs such as chem, bio, next year will be anatomy. Other than that I’ve been pretty free to take what I want so I really like psychology and am taking two this spring and another sociology course. </p>

<p>Let me know if you have any other questions.</p>