Nursing College In Northeast??

<p>Coincidentally, I have been married to a Nursing Educator for almost 25 years. She insist that it is not possible for a BSN program to be both accredited and have 15+ staff to student ratio during clinical hours.
As opposed to embarrassing anyone you may actually save them from enrolling in a program that isn’t accredited. So how about sharing which programs "tend to boast about the high number of clinical hours they provide students, but often the staff to student ratio is 1:15 or worse, offering a much less then ideal learning experience?</p>

<p>Why are you only limiting yourself to 4 year BSN programs? A graduate of a 2 year associates program is just as much of an RN as a BSN graduate.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Reasons:</p>

<ul>
<li>There are places that are requiring their employees to have a BSN and not an ASN.</li>
<li>You can get into management more easily with a BSN.</li>
<li>BSN programs have more nursing classes, and often have more clinical hours and opportunities.</li>
<li>2 year Associates programs take an average of about 3 years to complete…if you can have a higher degree in just one more year, why not?</li>
</ul>

<p>…and what I listed isn’t even the entire list.</p>

<p>aglagas:</p>

<ol>
<li>I’m sorry but I am not able to respond to your request because the info was given to me in confidence ( I did say I was not at liberty to provide specifics). I will not respond to any further questions or comments regarding this issue.</li>
<li>As far as your wife’s disbelief that a program could be accredited with such poor ratio’s you need to keep in mind the following:
a. Neither NLNAC or CCNE have identified in their standards specific (numerical) faculty to student ratios (I just looked this up tonite). But, even more significant:
b. Reaccreditation by NLNAC occurs only every 8 years and for CCNE it is 10 years. That leaves a lot of time between reaccreditiation visits for ratios to slide (for a variety of reasons).</li>
</ol>

<p>i would just like to say that I really enjoyed this exchange of information.
Thank you Aglages and Mwallenmd. Please know that you have helped many of us.</p>

<p>“2 year Associates programs take an average of about 3 years to complete”</p>

<p>Where did you hear that from? My mother completed her 2 year ADN in 2 years.</p>

<p>^ There’s generally a year of prereqs and then 2 years of actual nursing classes. Nobody finishes in less than 2.5 years unless they finish the prereqs before applying and get in right away and then don’t fail anything.</p>