Nursing Degree.

<p>Hello Forum,
I will graduate with a Associates Biology degree in May and I was thinking to start a degree towards nursing. Can I start a Bachelors in Nursing without doing the Associate degree in nursing? If so will it take the full four years? Also I reside and Houston,Texas but I don't know which schools offer this program.</p>

<p>Thanks to anyone for their words of advise.</p>

<p>I would recommend looking into accelerated nursing degree for students with a bachelor’s degree. With your science background, you should already have a lot of the prerequisites already.
A lot of variations from school to school , but you have a good start already.
This is the path my daughter is taking when she graduates this may. She is in a program to become a nurse practitioner</p>

<p>Thank you for the reply. I will look into it. However, I notice you wrote that it’s for student’s with a bachelor’s degree.</p>

<p>There are a full variety of programs. Take a look at a range of colleges in your region and see what options they offer. Some take transfers in the 3rd year, while other colleges do not.</p>

<p>You probably have many of the requirements for the first two years of a BSN degree already. Look at the curriculum requirements for schools in your area and see if you can transfer in as a sophomore or junior and start the nursing clinicals for your BSN. Good luck!</p>

<p>It is probably too late to transfer into a 4 year nursing program for this fall, if you haven’t applied. However, as a biology major, you could transfer to a college where you have a good shot at getting into the nursing program after a semester or so. You can use that time to complete any remaining prerequisites and/or to get other required general classes out of the way. There also are still some hospital based RN programs.</p>

<p>Yes, you can start a nursing program, though probably not this fall. Most programs require students to apply from Jan - March for fall semester entry. If there’s a school close to you with spring semester entry, that might be your best bet.</p>

<p>It will probably take two years, not four. Look for programs that require undergrad students to apply for the upper division nursing courses. You probably already have the prerequisites you’ll need, but there may be 1-2 special pre-nursing courses (specific to the school) that you need to pick up before you can apply. You could take those this summer or during the fall semester and then apply.</p>

<p>Hope that helps!</p>

<p>I don’t know about transfer programs, but anyone applying to a direct entry BSN program in the Fall should try to get their application submitted and complete by early to mid October. Many nursing programs fill up by December or January, and one program announces that it won’t even accept applications after November.</p>

<p>It depends on the school, program, and competitiveness. I was referring to traditional BSN programs in my area/state, not a transfer program, though. Our deadline was early February, with offers for admission being sent out mid-March (this was for the fall semester). I recognize that my area/state may be an exception to this rule.</p>