Nursing Degree

<p>I will be graduating in 2015 which means I need to start applying for colleges very soon, but i don't exactly know what I'm doing. I would like to pursue a career in Nursing i just don't know how to pick a college. Can anyone give me suggestions on which schools to apply to (preferably in Texas) or just explain how the whole Nursing majors work.</p>

<p><a href=“Google”>Google;

<p>There are tons of schools in TX you could apply to. If you want a large, public university, there’s Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Univ. of Texas. If you want a private, but well-known university, there’s Baylor, Rice, Texas Christian, and Southern Methodist. If you’re looking for smaller schools, there’s TX State, Univ. of North TX, Tarleton State, Stephen F. Austin State, Abilene Christian, etc. It really depends on your stats and what you’re looking for in a college. The Nursing major works pretty similarly to other majors but you’ll be doing a lot of hands-on training at hospitals and such.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that it does not really matter where you get your nursing degree from. my mom got an associate’s as a nurse, she’s been working for 30ish years. Makes around 65k. Newly minted bachelor’s nurses start at a bit more modest wage. </p>

<p>I’d go with your most affordable option to be honest. </p>

<p>I would advise you to try to get into a school that is direct admission into the nursing program (UT isn’t this way.) Lot’s of schools will make you apply for their nursing school for your junior and senior year.</p>

<p>Nursing has changed over the last 30 years. If you can afford to pursue a BSN/RN then I will second the advice from Vikingboy11…apply to direct entry BSN programs.</p>

<p>To summarize:</p>

<p>Apply as early as possible. Many programs fill up by Dec.</p>

<p>Try to get into a direct entry BSN program, where you do not have to compete for a limited number of nursing spaces in your second or third year of college. If you do pick a college that is not direct entry, try to find one where the competition for those spaces will not be overwhelming. Ask for data.</p>

<p>Take both the ACT and the SAT. For whichever test result is better, take that test again. You can find an online comparison chart showing equivalent scores between the two tests.</p>

<p>Try to find a college that is near at least one major hospital, and that will not require long drives to get to clinicals.</p>

<p>Run the Net Price Calculator for various colleges, which is online on each college’s website. You may find that some private colleges are close in cost to public colleges, once you consider need-based or merit aid. Very few public colleges provide much need based aid to out of state residents.</p>

<p>If you are eligible for grants from your state, find out if they can be used out of state. If not, it may pay you to stay in-state. </p>

<p>It is OK to have a couple reach schools, but make sure you also have some matches and some safeties for admissions. Your admissions safety should also be a financial safety. You cannot rely upon the average admissions stats for a college - nursing is typically one of the most difficult majors for admission.</p>

<p>Don’t pay full sticker price for a private college’s nursing program if you can avoid it, if there are cheaper quality alternatives. You will typically end up earning the same amount as someone who went to a cheaper college.</p>

<p>Check the pass rates for the RN exam for graduates of each college. Many states post them online. If not, ask a program for their pass rate. (Many students pass on the second try, but you may lose your first job in the meantime.). If the pass rates are too low over a few years, the program may be put on probation and eventually could lose accreditation, which is a very bad thing. However, don’t believe the colleges that claim a 98 or 99% pass rate - they are probably kicking out all the students who they don’t think will pass the test on the first try.</p>

<p>The goal is to find a quality nursing program, not a prestigious name on your degree. At every college, nursing programs are challenging and time consuming. It may be in your best interests to attend a college where the non-nursing courses are not extremely competitive. That will free up time to get your nursing work done. This means not choosing a highly selective college where your non-nursing classes will be full of pre-meds who all feel they need straight As.</p>