Nursing Program final college decision class of 2022

I’ve narrowed it down to University of Alabama and Towson University. I’ve toured both and really enjoyed Alabama. Alabama has everything I wanted in a school, however Towson is 1/5 of the cost (In-State and financial need). My mom has called Alabama’s finance office but they said they’ve given me the most possible and the only other option I have are private loans. I’ve looked at rankings and NCLEX pass rates but is taking out 5 times the amount of loans worth it?

No.

Private loans have much higher total costs, including having interest build up while you are in college.

Also, factor in the time and cost of travel. For instance, air fares over Christmas and Thanksgiving are very expensive. If you are driving, you have to add in the wear and tear on a car. If your parents, are driving, you need to double that mileage, and add in hotel room costs Your parents may have to use their vacation time to drive you back and forth.

No.

A BSN is a BSN. Borrow the least amount you can.

I am not so sure. 5x more in loan makes a big difference that could mean one is affordable & one is out of reach.
I dont know anything about either programs so I can’t comment on their nursing programs at all. I assume you have done your reaserch & both are good solid programs ( direct admit )

Is one school worth taking out 5x more in loan? you have to consider the loan payback amount that you & your parents have to deal with…that could run into a lot of monthly payment.

The starting hourly pay for new grads is very low, ranging anywhere from lows 20 in some parts of the country to a very high 28 or 30 in places like CA from what I have heard,
the pay varies in different part of the country.
Having to deal with the student loan repayment & living expenses ( when you work ) are not easy & can be stressful.

No