Nursing School -- How hard to get in?

<p>My daughter (junior in HS) and I visited campus last week and she absolutely fell in love with the school. </p>

<p>The one thing that concerns me is that she wants to be a Nursing major, and UW does not have direct entry into the nursing program. You have to apply during your sophomore year. I am worry that she may get off to a slow start academically if she has trouble adjusting to college life (new freedoms, new temptations, homesickness, etc.), and a couple of so-so grades as a freshman could affect her chances of acceptance.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how competitive the nursing program is? Their website says you have to have a 2.75 GPA minimum, but that it will probably take better grades than that due to the competion. If anyone knows the acceptance rate, that would be really helpful to us.</p>

<p>Im sure youll get better answers than this, as my daughter is going to UW but NOT looking at all at nursing. BUT, my neighbors daughter did about 4 years ago.</p>

<p>It was very frustrating for her. If I remember right, they had called before she ever enrolled and asked what the "average college GPA was of those admitted. If I remember right it was over 3.5. She had about a 3.75 if I remember right, but unfortunately, there were enough students that had yet a higher GPA, so they "ran out of room" so to speak. </p>

<p>Several friends kids are looking at nursing right now. There is a huge variety of ways to do it; 2 year degree, 4 year at a less prestigious school, or travel farther to a "high end" like UW that has more space for students. </p>

<p>There are catches to ALL of them. Do you want "guaranteed" placement, the lower cost of a 2 year and then let employer pay to get 4 year, etc.....</p>

<p>One advantage of 4 year right off the bat is that you get a more well rounded education, so if you decide that nursing is not for you, you have a better rounded education to fall back on. Example, daughters friend is going to a school that has excellent marketing/business school too - she has thought about somehow combining those 2 things into a career. </p>

<p>My own daughter, now a sophomore in HS, is thinking of nursing maybe. She is looking at our local MATC Nursing Program. Great program, inexpensive (about 10K for the full thing), and quick. Luckily we started looking ahead as there is a 2 year wait list.</p>

<p>Lots of good options. I think a lot comes down to; guaranteed placement vs. great overall school with a CHANCE of getting in. No right or wrong, just choices.</p>

<p>DJD</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the info.</p>

<p>My daughter is very bright (in the Gifted and Talented program in HS, does extremely well on standardized tests, etc.), but is not always the most self-motivated when it comes to hitting the books. I would just sleep better at night if I didn't have to worry that a couple of bad test results as a freshman could jeopardize her career choice (or force her to transfer out).</p>

<p>It seems like plenty of programs allow some direct entry (Marquette, Iowa, etc.) for Nursing. My daughter is pretty sure of her choice of major. She is a CNA, has worked at nursing homes, and has won a national award as a lifeguard.</p>

<p>It almost seems to me that UW's policy of making so many kids wait until their junior year to be admitted to many of the programs (including business and education) is a scam to part a lot of kids from two years of tuition money before kicking them to the curb.</p>

<p>You definitely want a BSN degree instead of just a nursing diploma these days, and if smart enough to get into UW, much less being in any GT programs, you want to take advantage of getting a bachelors degree right away. A college education is more than just nursing job skills. UW may motivate her to study more than some other school with a lesser peer group- being bored in HS is one reason for not studying. It is no scam to have people wait for limited spots- many will change their plans- would it be more fair to have to decide while still in HS? Regardless of getting into one of those programs or not the first two years of tuition will be well worth the cost for the academic and nonacademic learning at UW. Your D will most likely thrive at UW and be able to take advantage of Honors program courses as a freshman.</p>

<p>staceyglow,</p>

<p>My daughter just got accepted to the nursing school and is on cloud 9. She knew that they can accept only 30% of qualified applicants and she was also transferring from our local CC, MATC. She had a 3.75 GPA and figured the decsion could go either way.</p>

<p>Long term, they are working to get more capacity in the Nursing school but I do not expect it to get any easier by the time your daughter would apply. However, with her focus and work experience she sounds like she will be a great nurse.</p>

<p>My sense from speaking with admissions for the program is that a 3.5 GPA with a good record of work and community service will make you a likely admit. However, UW-Madison can be a hard place to concentrate on school during your first year (and beyond). My advice would be to encourage her to attend but also remind her how important her grades from freshman and the first half of sophomore year will be.</p>

<p>Good Luck,</p>

<p>Kevin</p>

<p>WIS75 said <<<<"You definitely want a BSN degree instead of just a nursing diploma these days, and if smart enough to get into UW, much less being in any GT programs, you want to take advantage of getting a bachelors degree right away">>>>></p>

<p>I DO understand your point in the above statement, but I think different people have different needs too. </p>

<p>I myself did not take the time to go to a 4 year college. I didint have good guidance, was tired of school at the time, wanted to get working and making money etc..... I regret that choice <em>now</em>, but NOT because of career placement, income, etc. I regret it because of the lack of "personal enrichment" or "well rounded-ness" I would have received - which was the farthest thing form my mind <em>then</em>.</p>

<p>In my area, and I am only about an hour from Madison, MANY people go the "RN" 2 year route and then let the employer pay to finish up to a 4 year degree. Wages are almost identical if doing "RN" type work (many things at the "management" level need more than a 2 year). Granted, you will NOT get the same type of "enrichment" doing a 4 year degree this way as going to a 4 year at a great school like UW or the many others out there that offer similar education.</p>

<p>There can also be a big financial difference, at least in the short run. I believe 2 years at MATC runs about 10K or less. 4 years at UW about 80K. Add on 2 more years of income by only going 2 years and getting in the work force, you have another 80K+ to consider. SO at the 4 year point, the RN has paid of school, and is 70K+ of income. The BSN is just starting and 80K in debt, That is a 150K difference if the math is right. To some people that is worth it, to some not. Even if the 4 year graduate makes 10K more per year (very unusual around here) it would be 15 years to equal out. And that is only IF the 2 year doesn't go on to finish the BSN while working. </p>

<p>A recent customer of mine is a young couple. Both 2 year degrees. She an RN and he is a Union Carpenter. They make over 100K per year with 2 year degrees at 25 years old, in a county that has an average household income of under 50K. I think this speaks to teh validity of the 2 year programs IF income and low debt is what you are looking for.</p>

<p>I post this NOT as a statement that UW BSN in not a great program, but just for info for those reading that there is a LOT of good reasons for either type of program, depending on desires, goals, etc... Just want to make sure people look at all their options, something no one, including my HS counselors, did for me when I was trying to figure it all out.</p>

<p>Take Care, Djd</p>

<p>It is a lot easier to get a BS when you are young and without family/work responsibilities. Years later one may have regrets when one wants to advance and the degree is required. Management positions now go to those with a BS degree and many nurses choose to go beyond basic nursing after many years and need the degree for further nursing education. The Bellin College of Nursing in Green Bay went to a BS degree (in conjunction with UW-GB) years ago because they realized the importance of getting the bachelors degree in this era. You also sacrifice a lot in rigor when you substitute tech college classes for university ones. The purpose of college is EDUCATION, not job skills nor money earned. Those who save money by going to any of the tech schools are missing the university experience, just as those at other state universities are missing the UW experience.</p>

<p>Sorry, I didn’t read all of the posts, but I’m a student in the nursing school (just finished year #1!), so I might be able to shed some light…</p>

<p>Yes, it’s tough. The classes are not particularly challenging-- it is all the extracuriculars and work they “recommend” (i.e. require) in addition to the full courseload. They admit about 1/4-1/3 of the applicants, but keep in mind a good chunk of those applicants fail to meet course/GPA requirements. And even though the avg GPA is high, they really stress a “holistic” application. What that means is your daughter needs to seek out experiences (perferably medical) with a diverse population. What’s diverse? All ages, from all socioeconomic types, from different cultural or racial backgrounds, etc.</p>

<p>Honestly, if I were your daughter, I’d make a list of what they’re looking for (as listed above) and find volunteer work that hits as many of those as possible. (Tidbit: if she’s taking a language, she’ll want to continue in college. That shows commitment and interest in other cultures.)</p>

<p>They also look for leadership. It’s best to get involved in a group or two from the very start and take on responsibilities. </p>

<p>Also, if she has not heard of this before, she should look into becoming a certified nursing assistant (CNA). It counts A LOT in the application… It gives you the best idea of what nursing really is… and after she’s in, it will help so much with her first semester!!! </p>

<p>Best of all, if she knows she has a specific area in nursing she wants to try, she should really explore it… As we all know, admission essays need passion!</p>

<p>My stats at the time of application were:
Aspiring Nurses Association-- member w/ some project leadership experience (4 semesters)
National Alliance for Mental Health student org-- secretary (3 semesters; my interest was mental health)
Volunteering at the UW-Hosp, FOCCUS (a group in the Ukraine that supports education/medical/youth services for those affected by Chernobyl), special olympics, a blood donation center, and at a variety of mental health service places for all ages.
Working 16-24 hours/week at a nursing home/rehabilitation center
4.0 GPA</p>

<p>My GPA was prolly not typical (and not as important), but most students had my other stats. It’s time-consuming but doable. Also, a lot of students who are rejected apply the following year and are accepted. Still, be prepared to apply to another school early on (know the requirements at other schools before you even sign up for classes at SOAR)… or, have a back-up major. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>D of friend just got rejected for second time. Had above average grades too.
Now she has to transfer and is a year behind because she tried to get into UW a second time.
I am a nurse and can say without hesitation that a BSN is the way to go today. More and more hospitals are limiting advancement to BSNs. I have also found that the grads from BSN programs have much better critical thinking skills and usually are the candidates for leadership positions. I have been a nurse for 30 years and the divide between 2 and 4 year grads is widening.</p>