Nursing Schools

<p>I applied to a bunch of nursing schools. I hear it is harder to get into nursing programs than normal programs sometimes. Yesterday I was accepted to the URI nursing program (does anyone know if it is a good program?) and I was deferred from University of Pittsburgh nursing and I have no clue why because I thought it was more like a safety for me (does anyone know how hard their program is to get into?). Can someone tell me if I have a good chance of getting into the UConn nursing program, Villanova nursing, Northeastern nursing and Boston College nursing? Also, does anyone know of any easier nursing schools to get into (for more safeties)?</p>

<p>ACT score: 30
Weighted GPA: 3.6
AP classes taken: AP US History, AP Art History, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP Biology
- I also am taking an honors english class and 4 years of spanish
- I have done a lot of volunteer work (over 300 hours) and I am in a lot of clubs at school. I also do 2 seasons of sports for my school. I also have type 1 Diabetes (I have heard that it does help you get into schools sometimes) and I am part Native American.
- I also go to a very good public school in CT.
- The only thing I can think of not helping me is my junior year I had to get surgery and I was very sick for a few months so my grades were much lower than usual, but my guidance counselor wrote about it in my recommendation.</p>

<p>I would apply to University of Pennsylvania if I were you. Even if you don’t think your stats are up to it, they were very excited at an info session I attended when one of the girls said she was interested in their nursing program.</p>

<p>I know someone who was admitted to the Boston College nursing school with stats similar to yours (slightly higher GPA, tho). Regular decision.</p>

<p>One measure of the quality of a nursing program, is the percentage of students who pass the state boards on the first try. Other considerations include the location and type of clinical experiences that are available. Contact the colleges/universities that you are applying to, and ask.</p>

<p>“I also go to a very good public school in CT”</p>

<p>Your admissions and financial safeties are probably public universities in your home state.</p>

<p>I agree Penn is worth a try.</p>

<p>Pitt is a very good nursing school, but I share your surprise–sadly, admissions is often a crapshoot.</p>

<p>Some places to check out in your search for quality safeties (although I am not a nursing expert): Salve Regina; Sacred Heart; Bloomsburg; Elizabethtown; St. Josephs; Siena; Lycoming; Albright; Moravian.</p>

<p>Have you spoken to your guidance counselor? Consider asking your counselor to call Pitt and express your strong interest in the school (assuming that is true).</p>

<p>See if CC has a nursing subforum.</p>

<p>You will lose nothing and might gain good advice by calling the Admissions office at Yale’s Grad Nursing School and the hiring department at Yale New Haven Hospital (and other local good hospitals) to ask them for suggestions of good collegiate programs</p>

<p>I am sure you will wind up fine and wish you luck.</p>

<p>I would also check into Suny University at Buffalo, Suny Stony Brook, Suny Binghamton and Drexel. Best of luck!</p>

<p>Salve Regina is beautiful too- In the middle of the old mansion (Vanderbilts, etc)neighborhood of newport, R.I., and some of the dorms are fabulous old homes that were donated to the school.</p>

<p>jblan,</p>

<p>Did you apply to Quinnipiac or Fairfield? </p>

<p>It looks like you have a lot in common with my D. (Including Type 1 and athletics…)</p>

<p>U Delaware has a decent program.</p>

<p>UVM is small (enrollment about 75 students/class). More competitive this year because of size of program. Good program with Hospital right on campus in Burlington.</p>

<p>We were told that OOS at U Conn acceptance in to Nursing program was about 10%…(not sure about in-state)</p>

<p>If you don’t mind an all women’s college in Boston, we were told that Simmons has a very good nursing program. You should be able to get in with your stats.</p>

<p>(D didn’t apply, but some kids from her school did.)</p>

<p>I applied to Fairfield so I’m hoping to get in there, I heard their program is pretty good. Quinnipiac actually happens to be down the street from my house, so I know thats kind of a bad reason not to apply but I really dont want to be THAT close to home. UVM and UConn are making me so nervous! I hear back from UVM within the next couple weeks (I used their VIP application so I am hoping that will help me get in since my application was flagged). I talked to a UConn admissions officer and he told me the nursing program only accepts 100 people a year on the Storrs (main campus) but I could possibly get put on a side campus because they now have nursing on 2 of the UConn side campuses. Although, I really do not want to be put on a side campus. The admissions officer also told me they use your weighted GPA not your unweighted one and that they really look at your whole application overall opposed to looking more at just GPA and SAT scores (which is good in my situation!). I was considering applying to U Delaware, but I already applied to so many state universities (Uconn, UVM, URI, UMass) that I feel like I have enough options there. Does anyone know anything about the URI nursing program (since that is the only school I have gotten into so far)? or anything about UMass nursing? I dont think I want to apply to Simmons, I want a big school (not all womens).</p>

<p>I’m applying to Penn nursing. Someone I know actually goes there and she seems to like it so far. Also, I heard their program accepts about 50% of students. I think I’m giving Georgetown a shot too (theres a rumor that their nursing program accepts almost 70% of students!). I really want to go to Boston college though, but I really dont think I have a chance of getting in. I applied early action and I find out within the next few weeks so we will see. I am also very nervous about Northeastern :(</p>

<p>I would think that you’d have a better chance of getting into BC nursing over Penn nursing & Georgetown nursing. Penn and Georgetown are overall more selective. Also keep in mind that Georgetown requires 3 SAT subject test scores, even if you just took the ACT.</p>

<p>GPA (assuming it is weighted on a 5.0 scale) is low for BC, but your rank will tell us more about how competitive you are compared to your classmates, ACT score is in the range but on the lower end of the middle 50%, BC will definitely love all of the service work you have done.</p>

<p>I still think you have a shot! Good luck!</p>

<p>I have 3 subject tests, but one I got less than a 600 on so I might try to sign up for the SATs in Jan. if there are any to retake it. I dont even know what the GPA is weighted on, because its actually rated on a scale 1-20 and then on my transcript it has my number 1-20 and my guidance counselor helped me figure out what my actual weighted GPA is from that number. I am in the top 25% of my class… (near 20% mark i think). There are over 400 kids in my grade, so I have a relatively large graduating class. I am really hoping that my activities and volunteer work will save me for BC and all other schools for that matter. I have been on a few campus tours of BC and the students there always say how much the admissions officers love community service :). I am really not expecting to get in there, and I am hoping for Northeastern (which hopefully is a bit easier to get into)!</p>

<p>Also, does anyone know anything about Villanova nursing? I applied there too</p>

<p>I’m sure you’ll get into Northeastern! I’m a fellow EA applicant for BC (so nervous to find out); I hope we both get in! Lol :)</p>

<p>Villanova nursing is very good, as are St Joes and Drexel in Philly–with so many major hospitals, no surprise.</p>

<p>Do not confuse the admissions standards of Penn generally with the nursing school–it is much easier to get into</p>

<p>does anyone know how to POST a threaddd, im getting oober frustrated. can you message me how plzzz :)</p>

<p>Hey guys, I just got deferred from UVM nursing… I am having such a crisis… I have no hope of getting in anywhere good :(</p>

<p>jblan, hang in there! I don’t know the URI nursing school, but the campus is near the beach. UVM seems to take very few nonVermonters into their tiny school.
If it helps your spirits, throw in some more applications (visit the websites first to get on their lists–you may also get a fee waiver). Do this ASAP, so it does not seem obvious these schools were yur second thoughts.
Also, if you need aid, more applications may give you more shots at good packages.
I like your chances, but don’t just worry–take action!</p>

<p>I just applied to Drexel nursing with a free application they gave me. I applied to University of New Hampshire nursing also and Penn State (health administration) and American (pre-nursing). I feel a little better, now :). Also, I have another thread about nursing and someone posted: Everyone we know that applied to nursing at UVM early this year got deferred to the regular round. I think UVM is waiting to look at the entire applicant pool before making final decisions in March…</p>

<p>I am thinking maybe a lot of the state schools defer students from nursing and wait until the regular pool?</p>