Nursing: York College? Penn State? De Sales? West Chester? U. Delaware?

<p>So far, these are my daughter's favorite schools for direct entry BSN. She won't hear an admissions decision from U. Del. until March. Penn State is in-state for us.</p>

<p>Anyone have any thoughts about the nursing programs? We've visited the campuses and the towns, and did the standard tours, but she hasn't had a chance yet to meet people from the nursing program or to tour the nursing facilities. Most of the programs for admitted students are not held until March or April.</p>

<p>Everyone we know pushes Penn State (Main), but she would prefer not to go to such a large school, isn't thrilled about large class sizes in lower level classes, doesn't like the idea of traveling long distances to get to clinicals from State College, and isn't real thrilled about being away from a college campus and college friends for a year (to go to Milton Hershey Medical Center). Penn State says that if you don't commit to them earlier in the year, you may be in housing with up to 7 roommates in your room.</p>

<p>York College in York PA is a nice size (5,000 students), has great on-campus housing for upperclassmen, a large new gym, a brand new theater complex (which is one of her side-interests), and is within walking distance of a huge hospital. They also are very affordable, and have a RN exam pass rate equal to Penn State's. They seek that students commit to them early in the year, and say that if you don't, you may be placed into a track that requires an extra semester to graduate. She'd like to play a sport, and that would be possible at a smaller school (at least for a couple years).</p>

<p>She hasn't heard yet from De Sales (about 1 hr. north of Phila), but she should get in. They are now finishing a new building for their health care programs, and they allow their top students to take some classes for grad credit as an undergrad. </p>

<p>U. Del. may end being the most expensive of the bunch, because she will probably not qualify for any merit aid from them.</p>

<p>I understand West Chester's nursing facilities are a little crowded. The freshman high rise housing is about one step from being demolished (literally) and the upper class housing is privately run and expensive.</p>

<p>I’m sure you are aware of my bias regarding UD based on my D’s experience’s there. I’m sure you have also read a number of my posts on this thread and on CC’s UD site so I will not bore you with repeating them here. The one additional thing I could say is that if your D has the Stats to be accepted into Nursing at UD (one of the most competive majors for admission there - with average stats for Nursing well above those listed for UD in general)) that I would suspect that she might have a reasonably fair chance of getting some merit aid. UD provides a lot of merit aid to OOS students, more so than most State Universities. I know a number of nursing students who at least got 3-5K scholarships. You are competing for merit aid with all the applicants, not just those in your major.</p>

<p>It does sound like your D has an interest in Nursing Grad School. I am guessing that you also are already aware that by the time your D gets her BSN that there is a fair probability that to obtain a degree as a Nurse Practitioner (and several other Advanced Practice Nursing degrees) she will have to obtain the degree at the Doctoral Level (DNP). This obviously will require more time and of course will be much more expensive. This obviously is another issue to keep in mind. </p>

<p>IMHO Penn State, UD, York all provide an excellent Nursing education. I do not know enough about the other schools she is considering so I can’t really make any comments about them. If you have any specific questions about UD please feel free to PM me. I wish your D the best in her college quest. I’m sure she will do just fine wherever she decides to attend (what you get out of school is more highly correlated with what you put into it rather than in the school itself-in most cases).</p>

<p>Thanks. My son got offered lots of merit aid from U. Del. (he decided to go elsewhere). However, his test scores were higher.</p>

<p>I don’t think she will rush into grad school, but probably will go eventually (hopefully with some help from an employer). </p>

<p>My sister is a nurse with a 3 year nursing degree and she spent 25 years getting her bachelors and masters degrees going part-time while working and serving in the Navy.</p>

<p>OP - I attended York. Great nursing program and from what I remember top notch nursing facilities. I had quite a few friends who were nursing majors who have been very successful and loved the program. I never took any of the classes for nursing so I can’t say anything as far as the professors or anything are concerned. Many of them had ‘internships’ or whatever it’s called for nursing at the hospital that you mentioned above. They actually have nursing programs there all the way up to the doctorate level now. Please PM me if you have questions.</p>

<p>Thanks. So far, York is in the lead. They are doing a second round of renovations of their nursing building this summer, and adding more simulators.</p>

<p>D accepted to DeSales and nursing scholars program invitation.- 5 free grad classes as senior. They spent a lot of time with us. Very nice visit. New health sciences building will house nursing and business programs, but didnt get to see what new sim labs will look like and if they will have high def mannequins. i would think so! Campus was small, but spread out over large area and in middle of nowhere, but pretty. Very small school. study abroad possible.</p>