Nursing

I really want to be an RN, but I am having a little trouble narrowing down the schools I want to apply to. I know that I definitely want to apply to UCLA, UCI, SDSU, and CSU Long Beach, but I am confused on which other schools I should I apply to as well. I would greatly appreciate if someone who also applied to nursing schools would help me out. :slight_smile:

What are your stats such as CSU/UC capped weighted, cumulative UW GPA, SAT/ACT scores? Any volunteering related to Nursing.

Other than CSU Long Beach, the rest are direct admit BSN programs. Are you looking for more direct admit programs? California schools or are you open to other states?

You can look at Fullerton as well. I think they have direct admit, but I am not 100% sure. :slight_smile:

CSU Fullerton has a direct admit for Freshman. If you are not accepted into their BSN program, you can take the Nursing Pre-req courses as a Non-Nursing major and then reapply at the end of Sophomore year. All direct admit programs in California are very competitive, so that is why I am asking for your stats.

Other direct admit programs in California are University of San Francisco, Azusa Pacific and Dominican University. The majority of Nursing programs in California at 2+2 programs where you enter as a Pre-Nursing major and after completing the pre-req’s you apply to the Nursing program.

Arizona State has a direct admit program which might be worth looking into. More direct admit programs on the East Coast if you are interested.

UCLA has a small nursing class with a huge number of applicants. Definitely treat it as a reach.

SAT: 1300
ACT: 28
Weighted GPA:4.375
Unweighted GPA:4.000
200+ hours volunteering at the hospital

I also have many other extracurriculars, but they are not particularly related to nursing.

I am more looking into schools that are direct admit in California.

Thank you for all of the help guys!

SDSU and CSU Fullerton admit by eligibility index. On the conversion, your ACT of 28 is around 1330 so that makes your EI around 4830. An EI of 4550+ makes your competitive for both programs.

UCI and UCLA are also within Reach but they will still be a tough admit with a low acceptance rate.

UCI Nursing stats:
Fall 2018 freshman applicants: 2,887
Fall 2018 freshman admissions: 72 (2.5% admitted)
Average UC GPA: 4.24 GPA
Average total SAT score (new version): 1332

Unable to find any stats for UCLA nursing but you can assume they are comparable to UCI’s if not higher.

SDSU and CSU Fullerton look solid so I would apply to the schools you already have on your list and keep CSULB as a possible Safety.

Best of luck.

Thank you!

The posted freshman profile of accepted BSN freshmen at SDSU F2017 showed average of 29 ACT / 1345 SAT. I haven’t seen the F2018 stats but the trend continues to go higher. I would expect it to be 30+ ACT / 1400+ SAT. At freshmen orientation this year my D was told the acceptance rate F2018 Nursing was 3% but we haven’t seen the numbers to support that claim. Congrats on your very strong stats but keep in mind CA public schools with direct entry BSN are very competitive programs and may have the lowest acceptance rate of any major. Also while evaluating your chances keep in mind that CSUs super score standardized tests. UCs don’t.
https://nursing.sdsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Freshman-Admission-Statistics.pdf

Does anyone know the best CSU for nursing? I am very confused on which ones to apply to as there are 15 of them that have nursing programs. If it is possible, can you rank them from best to worst?

The best CSU Nursing programs as a Freshman applicant would be SDSU and CSU Fullerton since they are direct admit.

Based on Nursing.org, these are in the top 10:
SDSU
CSU Fullerton
CSU Long Beach
SFSU
Sac State
Sonoma State

I would also look at the NCLEX pass rate for each school: https://www.rn.ca.gov/education/passrates.shtml

You will get a very good education any of the CSU Nursing programs so apply, see where you are accepted and find the campus that you think is a good fit academically/socially and financially.