NY/NJ/CT Bama Parents Please Come Say Hi

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I would like to any Bama parents in the New York to come say hi here so that I can build a support system going forward. My daughter was accepted to UA for fall and is most likely going to attend. I’d like to have people that I can PM with any questions I might have in the future. We live in Nassau County on Long Island. If this information already exists on this board, please let me know. I did a search and couldn’t find it.</p>

<p>Can any NY Bama parents come say hi so that we can connect?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>We also live in Nassau County and my son is a freshman in the Honors Program. He loves it at UA. He currently lives in Riverside East, has two roommates from New Orleans and one from Alabama. He has friends from Tennessee, Colorado, New Orleans, a student from China, etc. He originally attended a Catholic private school on LI and certainly turned heads when he committed to Alabama. His classes are challenging, there is plenty to do in his free time, there are many perks to Honors including priority housing, Honors activities, internship and community service opportunities, etc. </p>

<p>He is not in a fraternity and a good majority in Honors are not. There is no lack of social life not being in a fraternity. I can’t say about being a female, but is probably very similar.</p>

<p>While logistically it requires planning for his trips on holidays, etc., it has worked out reasonably well so fay. He has not had any difficulties being from the Northeast, in fact I think it has been an advantage because I tend to think people are more firendly and welcoming. I wouldn’t worry about rankings, the quality of the student and what he/she does with the opportunities presented is much more important.</p>

<p>Hey catinhat95,
We are from Westchester County just above the Bronx. Our son will be attending UA Honors program as well as an accounting major.</p>

<p>Well we aren’t from your area but still NY (Rochester!), S will be an incoming freshman, and will be rooming with S of an active CC’r, also from your neck of the woods, along with a kid from Philly and one from Tennessee. Doesn’t plan to rush, is in honors etc., loves football and just wanted the big flagship experience at a great value, and that is what we anticipate he will have. Any regional concerns were put to rest when we visited, and I agree with TerryTW, I think it may even be an advantage. PM if you ever want to ask anything else etc.</p>

<p>Another Nassau parent here. S was a top student at one of the best high schools in the country. He’s their first ever to go to Bama. For perspective, he turned down Hopkins, Georgia Tech, and an elite business and engineering program at Lehigh. After visiting the school, and meeting with various people, he just felt like it was right for him. Go figure. A smart Jewish kid from a rich town in NY finding his fit in Alabama. Well, it works. </p>

<p>He’s in the honors college, so he loves that priority registration. Combined with all his AP credits, he’s a freshman with almost junior standing. He pretty much registers before almost everyone, getting the exact schedule he wants. He has enjoyed all his classes, earning straight A+. As an engineering major, when it comes time for internships and interviews, he expects to stand out, which might not have been the case at those other schools.</p>

<p>Outside of class, he is totally loving the life down there. He lives in Riverside North, with a private bedroom in a suite likely nicer than his first apartment will be. His suite mates are from Fort Lauderdale and St. Louis. He will be living next year with his best friends from Nashville, Phoenix, and northern Florida. While he has made many friends from Alabama, he has made even more from all over the country.</p>

<p>School spirit and sports are big for him, so he’s in the right place. He had front row seats to every game of a championship football season. He now sits front row at the basketball games (he’s friends with The Face), and is friends with players on both teams. He also plays on the UA volleyball team, which just won it’s home tournament last night. After a 12 hour tournament, he went to dinner and bowling with friends, then probably hit some parties. Typical Saturday.</p>

<p>Skype and cell phones help with the homesickness, mostly on our part. He’s too busy to miss us. We’re just glad he’s happy there. The fact that he’s on full tuition scholarship is that much happier. Feel free to post or PM any questions. We’re all here for each other.</p>

<p>^^^^^^ROLL TIDE, I grew in Queens, Flushing, NY, but my son is an Asian-American at UA, he is loving it and is thriving. Also, DS luvs the big time college sports; as a matter of fact, he is on Coach Grant’s Basketball Staff.</p>

<p>he is on Coach Grant’s Basketball Staff.</p>

<p>Awesome!</p>

<p>Well, I’m not in your exact area, but I’m not that far away in the grand scheme of things. We are in RI. My son is finishing his freshman year as an EE major. He is loving it and excelling to boot!!</p>

<p>We are from Long Island too! My son is going well and loves UA. Feel free to contact me on anything. Welcome!</p>

<p>Okay, so I am not in your area either, but I want to chime in, too! My S is a freshman at Bama and is from PA. He is LOVING life there. He has made friends from all over. This year his roommates are from Michigan and GA, but next year he is adding TX to the mix. He is staying busy, doing well academically, and is happy and healthy. Not being close to home has not really bothered him. We went to visit him in early Oct. and then again at Thanksgiving. He has only come home once…for Winter Break, but I have “seen” him quite regularly on tv at football and baskebtall games! So funny! I would be more than happy to give you our prospective on anything, so ask away! :)</p>

<p>ha- just realized I said my S didn’t plan on rushing, shows what I know about Greek life :)</p>

<p>Hi Terry TW, thanks so much for your response! How has your son been flying back and forth? What airline and into what city? ~ Lana</p>

<p>Hey NYBama, Thanks for responding, hopefully our kids will get to know each other if my daughter attends! ~Lana</p>

<p>Hey Upstate13, I am not able to PM yet because I just joined the forums, I have to have 15 posts or something like that. My daughter also wanted the big flagship school. They sound similar in what they were looking for. I am glad to meet you! ~ Lana</p>

<p>Hey Chardo, thanks for your reply. I am so happy to hear that there will be so many northeast kids there! We loved the school when we visited. It really won us over. Plus we won’t be broke! Thanks and so happy to meet you. ~Lana</p>

<p>Wvacupuncture, that is great that he is on the Coach’s staff! What an amazing opportunity. My family used to live in Bayside Queens so I know your area well! So glad that we will be able to connect! Thanks for responding!</p>

<p>~Lana</p>

<p>proudmama3, thanks for posting here! I really am glad to meet everyone here! You have no idea how it puts my mind at ease. ~Lana</p>

<p>BamamamafromNY, thank you for your PM’s. I am unable to write back because I have not written enough posts to earn the right the PM but soon! Thanks for all that great travel information! You are terrific!</p>

<p>~Lana</p>

<p>proudbamamama, thanks for taking the time to reply. I am so glad that you responded and I hope that we will all become good friends! I am very excited to learn from you! Roll tide!</p>

<p>~Lana</p>

<p>upstate13, shows I know even LESS! What was wrong with what you said?? ~Lana</p>