NY/NJ/CT Bama Parents Please Come Say Hi

<p>The guys pledge, the girls rush :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I am not sure why the PM’s don’t kick in until you hit a certain level of activity, just keep posting!!!</p>

<p>You will find all kinds of help here, and yes, our numbers from the NE are growing. My son is first from his HS too, but there are a few from surrounding (highly ranked) schools also attending. UA is casting a wide net. On one of the threads someone posted a link to the distribution by state, it was interesting…</p>

<p>catinhat95, if your D is able to fly southwest, you should consider signing up for their rapid rewards credit card. I took another CCer’s advice on this and it has paid off. We have earned several free flights just by signing up and using the card.</p>

<p>upstate13, ha! shows you what I know about Greek life! I agree about the wide net. we attended a reception in Garden City, which is a very affluent area with great schools and best lacrosse in the nation. (We don’t live there). it was a great reception and it’s amazing to see how they are marketing the school so well. I look forward to seeing what they do in the future and how their reputation grows.</p>

<p>proudbamamama, that is the BEST advice. i am definitely going to do that. not many colleges these days let you charge the tuition! ~Lana</p>

<p>Welcome and Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Your daughter will be among many Out of State students who are finding this “Southern Gem” of a university. UA’s freshmen class is currently over 53% OOS students and it’s diversity is growing. You will be amazed at all the great opportunities that are available to students. Your daughter will be among the best and the brightest in the Honors College. It is an amazing place and UA will quickly become “home” to her. </p>

<p>Traveling from NY to Birmingham is relatively easy unless you are driving (lol) and then you are in for a long drive.</p>

<p>There are frights from all the major and regional airports, and also Amtrak from NY’s Penn Station to Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>I believe that you will be able to answer PM’s soon, just keep posting.</p>

<p>I am PM’ing you.</p>

<p>^ not sure if that’s a typo. Could go either way.</p>

<p>There are direct flights out of Laguardia airport to Birmingham. 1 flight out to Birmingham and one to NYC per day.</p>

<p>Catinhat95,
when NY Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia, the one with the $165mil contract, needed elbow surgery, he did not go to NY Presbyterian-Cornell Med Center, The Yankees flew him to Alabama to see Dr James Andrews for surgery.</p>

<p>So you see, they do big things down here…ROLL TIDE!</p>

<p>^^^
“Tommy John surgery”
Dr. Andrews invented it.</p>

<p>Chardo: HaHa, it was a typo, darn iPad, but it could be applicable :)</p>

<p>There is a club called The 49. It is for out of state kids.</p>

<p>49! how cute! Is there a link?</p>

<p>I hope that 49 hosts a couple of events during WOW week. That’s a critical time for any OOS student who will be coming without knowing anyone.</p>

<p>wvacupuncture and Southlander, that is really interesting, I am going to tell my husband that. where is dr andrews by the way? maybe i will use him myself!</p>

<p>proudmama3, the 49 club sounds like something I have been wondering about if they have. if there is a link, i would also love to see it.</p>

<p>Can anyone weigh in on what they think are the best cell phone service carriers for UA? We have iphones through ATT but we are up for renewal and I have been thinking of switching to Verizon. Just wondering what the service is like there.</p>

<p>S has been to a couple of 49 Club events. They do start during WOW.</p>

<p>We have Verizon and it works well there. I don’t know about other carriers.</p>

<p>The 49 is in the process of planning a lot of events for incoming freshmen.</p>

<p>As for cell phone service, AT&T is the most popular, possibly because they are the official wireless sponsor of the Crimson Tide, but faces occasional delays and outages due to system overloads. System improvements and temporary towers have solved much of the service issues that were commonplace 3+ years ago. Verizon has the best coverage and Tuscaloosa has had 4G LTE for about a year now. Verizon was also the first carrier to restore service after the April 27, 2011 tornado.</p>

<p>Go Verizon, better coverage in tri state area and in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Here is the link to The 49 info.
<a href=“http://studentinvolvement.ua.edu/49.cfm[/url]”>http://studentinvolvement.ua.edu/49.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;