NYO2 alternate chances

does anyone know how many alternates are picked for orchestral keyboard? I know there’s only one spot for keyboard, but was wondering if the waitlist was ranked/if I have a chance of getting in

It’s tough to say. It is harder for alternates to get in for wind/brass players than string players as there are such a limited amount of spots (3-5 per instrument) – and with such a prestigious program like NYO, I assume all the people who got in will no doubt accept their spot into the orchestra. I do believe there are cases of people who get into NYO-USA which opens spots up for NYO2. In my opinion, I think it is unlikely that a keyboard spot will open up, especially because it is just one person.

You should be very proud of yourself and pat yourself for all the work you did! The application process is no easy feat and getting chosen as an alternate is such an honor with a group like NYO.

Hey, the NYO roster was released and it doesn’t look like there are any pianists. Do you think the pianist for NYO2 will have to move up and open up a spot for me then? Just speculation but the omission was kinda weird imo.