NYU Deferred/Waitlisted 2025

Good to see you back gumball! I have a couple of questions about your analysis here. Where did you get the only 20% of people offered waitlist accept their waitlist spot? That seems crazy low because other schools like Cornell have like an 80% acceptance for people reserving waitlist spots.

Also, I’m confused about “based on my speculation i think 20% of those accepted waitlisted people only submit the waitlist form, so those are the ones they consider.” Doesn’t everybody that accepts the waitlist submit a form? Please explain this. I really appreciate you trying to gather information, however, I’m only questioning it because I’m slightly confused and I don’t want to accidentally overdose on hopium from this information.

Edit: Also can you provide key words or links to those articles that talk about NYU waitlist movement?

3 Likes

That’s from a person that commented on the NYU regular decision thread on reddit

why does nitro college keep sending me private loan suggestions specifically for NYU?

I wish lol. Someone on reddit said that they heard from the Dean of Stern or someone that only around 30 or so people on the waitlist would be admitted.

Could be just website cookies that tracked you and now advertisers and possibly online college loan providers that bought your cookies know you are in interested in NYU

hi!! of course, i’ll try to answer them and link them in the best way possible. so sorry if it takes a while.

i saw on reddit which isn’t a completely reliable source, i was trying to research as many things because as you guys know nyu doesn’t release much information about their waitlist and the activity just that it varies from year to year. but here is the link where it says that 20% offered a waitlist accepts their spot (scroll down to the comments): https://www.reddit.com/r/ApplyingToCollege/comments/mhevc6/what_percentage_of_students_on_the_nyu_waitlist/

of course! i understand how it feels to have hope, that’s why i just wanted to give the information based on what i’ve read so far. but, basically i have a counsellor who currently is a pHD candidate at columbia as well as my school counsellor who told me this information. they mentioned that 20% of those that accept a waitlist spot AND submit a waitlist form would be considered. they also did mention that it varies year to year, and as you guys know this year is as crazy as it is.

and this isn’t about nyu waitlist movement, but this article is about waitlist movement this year. just ignore the title because what they mean by “worse” just means that it’s bigger, scroll down and you should find something about movement there. however, it also states that waitlists are really large this year: Many expect waiting lists to be worse than ever this year

here is another article explaining what to do when you’re on a waitlist which most of you have already done i’m sure: College Waitlist: What Are Your Chances of Getting In?

i hope this was helpful, and PLEASE let me know if i missed out anything or you’re still confused. i’m rly more than happy to help!

7 Likes

also wanted to add that my counsellor has her own college counselling company, so she has experience with this stuff and is in direct contact with some admissions officers at selective universities (she didn’t disclose which ones due to privacy issues)

2 Likes

hi gumball! i only ask because you seem pretty well informed, but have you heard anything about the Stern waitlist?

2 Likes

Gumball let me just say on behalf of everyone that we all love and want to marry you

13 Likes

Yo you brought the receipts, I really appreciate it. I’ll look more into this later tonight. Also thanks for clearing up that confusing sentence!

2 Likes

hi! unfortunately, i have not… i’m so sorry. i’m going to look at it now. but in the meantime, here’s a helpful link i found of a stern waitlist FAQ: https://apply.stern.nyu.edu/waitlistfaq.pdf

1 Like

aww, i love y’all and wanna marry you guys too hehe <3

4 Likes

Gumball you gotta stay active on this thread or else eventually I’m going to over take you as the most frequent poster on this thread

3 Likes

I love you gumball!!! I feel sooo much better even tho it might be pure speculation. :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

aw thats fine thanks for the link! let us know if you find anything else!

also you are literally the nicest person i’ve seen on this site and i second @hoeforgallatin2

1 Like

hahaha, i’ll stay as long as u guys want me to!

6 Likes

love u toooo!! <3

5 Likes

of course! and aww that’s so nice of u to say, i just wanna help y’all esp bc ik how annoying it is to wait. feel free to ask any questions and i’ll try to look into them

6 Likes

Does anyone know when they admitted people of the Tandon waitlist last year? Also anyone else heard the rumor that tandon was filled up and they are not accepting anyone for the fall semester…

I go back and forth between believing we’re all gonna get in and that we’re all absolutely ■■■■■■

5 Likes