NYU Deferred/Waitlisted 2025

my heart literally dropped when i saw the email, still dont know why i got waitlisted in the first place, i literally was in their ARISE program and STILL work for one of their bio labs :grinning: but anyways going to stony brook idk if I’m gonna transfer but yeah this hurts I would literally do anything for a spot :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Guyssss NYU is being so stupid

1 Like

no, because i also want to take some time to rant about college admissions and in particular how awful the process has been for seniors this year. we were stopped from going to school for over a year, meaning we lost testing opportunities, guidance from school counselors, leadership opportunities, etc, and were still held to the same impossible standard by colleges. the system normally only favors the most privileged students, but this year it is especially true. not everyone can afford to drive two states over to take the SAT or hire a professional admissions counselor to help write essays. also, don’t even get me started on the mental health issues that I, and I’m sure many of you, have encountered this year. I have never felt more depressed or unambitious than this year and it has absolutely affected my applications. in conclusion, the system is so ■■■■■■

4 Likes

hey guys what email are we talking about? i haven’t received anything yet…

Im taking a gap year and trying again next year. This year sucked college admissions wise. Im sick of seeing articles about these privileged kids getting in to a bunch of schools with millions of dollars in scholarships. Am I jealous? Yes! I would rather be going to a good college that I can afford next year than staying home another year. I hate it here. Im so emotionally drained.

4 Likes

lmao also the fact that i had to think 100 times if i could mention my mental health situation on my app, like that’s, so ■■■■■■?

2 Likes

dude i havent cried in over a year im so stressed. being waitlisted made me so depressed i don’t think i ever struggled so much with my mental health. like i worked my ass off and it didnt pay off. feels like ■■■■.

9 Likes

same i just LOVE that college apps have taught us that explaining a mental health struggle could be considered exploiting it just amazing!!!

6 Likes

Hey guys i know i’m not really that active on this thread but I’ve been following for a while and wanted to highlight how incredible you are. You can always message me if you feel like ranting and honestly this year was so crappy that I’m proud we all made it out. I’m not able to access my school email right now for some reason so idk what the email said, but I hope you know that you are all amazing people and will achieve so much. I hope that wherever you end up this fall will bring you happiness, and if it doesn’t feel free to rant whenever. We went through so much ■■■■ as the class of 2025, we deserve a break now and some happiness in the near future.

6 Likes

International student here. US College Admissions have traumatized me–I don’t even remotely want to think of the possibility of doing this all over again. It’s unreal how I was absolutely crushed this cycle. I just don’t believe anything these colleges say at this point yk cause they expected 17-18yo’s to achieve something out of the box in a year where most of us were close to loosing our family members to COVID (at least in my country). Add that to the mental torture of waiting for months after being waitlisted ED2. Clownery.

9 Likes

hey guys. I was originally rejected from NYU back in March, and this is literally the first time I’ve been back on CC since then. I’m so sorry to everyone about the waitlist :(( this year was terrible for college apps. I was told for a long time that essays matter so much, so I poured my heart and soul into them talking about how I love art and how I’ve changed as a person but since the rejection I’ve felt like I wasn’t good enough at all. And I’m still hurting from the rejection too. I originally applied as a Bio major on the pre-med track but now I’m going to DePaul University (still majoring in bio but I’m thinking of switching to film). Anyway, the only thing this year has taught me was that these elite colleges really don’t care about the students, and it’s all about the money. But we’re all going to do AMAZING things in life. I know it. :))

10 Likes

did everyone receive the email?

EXACTLY!! i mean just expecting teenagers to be able to process and emotionally handle being in a pandemic is crazy, but then add on the stress of planning your future, applying to colleges, and then waiting months to hear back is completely unreasonable. there has been no sympathy for students at all this year, the only thing is that some schools we test-optional to apply, but even that just made things more unequal at the end of the day. honestly its all bs

6 Likes

honestly i don’t know… i hope that you get into stern/gallatin though! from the previous posts the AO’s mentioned that there are few spots for stern though.

I didn’t even apply to NYU, but I feel really bad for you guys. Yield is high this year for T30 universities. I will be attending my 8th choice this fall. Although life sucks right now, that’s just reality. Life will always feel unfair and be unfair. Work hard and take advantage of every opportunity you have. You’re going to be fighting for the rest of your life. Life’s a game, and it’s your responsibility to play the game.

7 Likes

is there any hope at all for CAS?

OMG guys… i just saw the previous comments. i’m so so sorry. really. i really really wanted you guys to get in, the second i read that my heart dropped. i was so looking forward to you guys being accepted and i really thought you would be. but PLEASE remember that this doesn’t define you, and the sole fact that you are on this thread and are so patient and wanting to further your higher education shows how amazing of a character you are.

if any of you ever want to talk PLEASE dm me we can connect on instagram if you’d like as well, i’m here for you. i love you guys!!!

16 Likes

i pray everyday that there is lol

1 Like

do any of you midn copy and pasting the email? i’m just curious as to what they said

Dear Antara,

Thank you, as always, for your patience with our waitlist process. I am writing to provide you with an update.

While we hoped to be able to offer admission to more applicants currently on our waitlist, it does not look like that will be possible. Students admitted during regular decision enrolled in unprecedented numbers, so I do not anticipate admitting any additional students. I realize that this may be a disappointment to you, but want to be clear about where we currently stand at NYU to allow you to plan for next year.

Over the coming weeks we will continue to monitor if any spaces become available, but I do not anticipate that to be the case. I ask that you not send any additional statements, credentials, or letters of recommendation to our office as we are no longer processing any new credentials for applicants. If you would like to be removed from our waitlist, you may do so through your NYU Applicant Portal. Otherwise, you can expect another update on the status of our waitlist no later than July 1st.

The most difficult part of my job is not being able to invite talented students like you to join the NYU community. Wherever you choose to enroll next year, I am certain that you will find a strong community, make great memories, and enjoy academic success.

Sincerely,

Jonathan B. Williams
Assistant Vice President for Undergraduate Admissions

1 Like