NYU Tisch collaborative arts vs. UNCSA Filmmaking

My son got accepted in 4 programs for fall 2023. The two biggest ones we are struggling with are NYU Tisch Collaborative Arts and UNCSA filmmaking. The other choices we have are Emerson College and UT- Austin Radio Film Television major at Moody College.
Would love to hear pros and cons about each in the forum. Any insights are appreciated.

Hi EKTA,

I actually left UNC-School of the Arts last Spring. I was accepted in the fall of 2020 for its filmmaking program.

I’m not sure what kind of culture and/or opportunities your son is seeking in a film school (I’d imagine he’s looking for ample room to grow and develop as an artist), but my experience there was overshadowed by cliquey behavior and an overall lackluster program.

I don’t want my experience to be a deterrent for anyone passionately wanting to attend University of North Carolina School of the Arts, but I did not enjoy it.

Thank you for your response. This really helps.

@Treehousefun95 could COVID have affected your view of UNCSA?

I’m sure that played a factor. However, I really didn’t care for the overall environment/atmosphere.

And that happens. Some schools work for some students and not for others.

One of my kids got their masters in music performance there…yes different program, but he really loved the school, location and the work done between departments there.

But…it’s not the place for everyone.

1 Like

I think that I posted on a previous thread of yours, S21 is a second year drama student at UNCSA and absolutely loves it. Had very similar choices for schools (but drama programs rather than film) and there was no choice between them. UNCSA was heads above and half the price. It is a conservatory though and the programs are small and you spend 4 years with the same people. I could see if you did not fit in or love your program that it would not be the same experience.

1 Like

For me, it was I didn’t really mesh with the people in my program. It was a hard two years, but I suffered through it. Glad I’m out of there.

Sorry you had a rough time, small conservatory programs are hard if they arent for you.

Back to the OP.

Have you visited these schools? They are definitely different!! Tisch is in major metro NYC, and part of a larger NYU. UNCSA is in Winston-Salem, and is a smaller conservatory arts school only.

I will say…Emerson is also a fine school, and Boston another great location.

I know absolutely nothing about the UT program

1 Like

We have visited UT and Emerson. Will be visiting NYU and UNCSA over next couple of weeks. Emerson was wonderful. UT Austin was disappointing. They didn’t plan much for admitted student tour, we felt like we didn’t gain anything much from the trip except to see how the campus looked like by walking ourselves in there.

1 Like

My S is a tour guide at UNCSA! Good luck choosing, such a wonderful problem to have!

1 Like

Agree on that. Great problem to have. You just want to make the right choice. It’s the most important years of their life.

1 Like