Oa/aa

<p>Is admission to these programs competitive? If a student wants to participate, do they just sign up, or do you have to be selected? I know there is a limited number of spots so I wasn’t sure how it worked.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I believe it’s first come first served. Just get your application in early.</p>

<p>Yup, first come, first served. I highly recommend both programs. A great way to jump start the UA experience.</p>

<p>The only current requirements for Outdoor Action and Alabama Action are that the student be an incoming freshmen student and in the Honors College. Otherwise since there are limited openings, it is first come, first served. Once the programs are filled, they are filled. There was an additional section opened in OA this year, which I presume was because of demand. This is a one credit Honors Course, so tuition is charged. For Alabama Action an additional travel fee of $195.00 is charged which covers all expenses except 4 meals. For Outdoor Action there is an $195.00 fee which covers housing, meals, transport and materials. If the course is dropped after a certain date (this year July 31st, 2012) the fee is forfeited. There is also some required reading and coursework.</p>

<p>Both are extremely valuable programs which serve the community in different ways. These programs allow the students to arrive on campus one week early, move in early and get to know each other before the semester begins. This allows students to establish a group of friends early on and to get a feel for the community. I believe that this is most important for OOS students who would otherwise start the semester without knowing any other students. My son participated his freshmen year and really enjoyed the experience. Be aware that Outdoor Action is outdoors and August in Alabama can be hot and humid. However, this year it was less hot/humid in Tuscaloosa than in my home town.</p>

<p>After the freshmen year, students who are have participated in the programs can become student leaders for the following year (I don’t think this is a paid position). There are only a few student leaders each year and there is an application process.</p>

<p>^^ I think most of AA was outdoors this year too!!</p>

<p>Yes, I believe that the reason for this was that the legislature changed the start date of school across Alabama, the start date could not be prior to August 20th. Therefore many of the Alabama Action mentoring activities that would have taken place in the schools could not take place since there were no students. I presume then that they just utilized the Alabama Action students in the best way possible. In the past AA students have painted the classrooms and created murals as well as participating in mentoring.</p>

<p>Do it!
Particularly if you are OOS, this is a fantastic program to meet like minded students who are interested in community service, honors students and looking to acclamate before the crush of students make their way to T-town.
Our DS did AA this year and has already developed a very solid, core group of guys to hang out with.</p>

<p>I am, as always, overwhelmed and grateful for the helpful posters on this board. What a great resource this board is! Bama should pay some of you guys, truly. :)</p>

<p>One more question - is this something they sign up for at Bama Bound or some other time? I really do think this would be a good experience for my DS, so hopefully he will be able to participate (still not sure which would be better, but I’ll leave that up to him).</p>

<p>The application becomes available before Bama Bound and I wouldn’t wait until then. Hard to believe that this is now a distant and foggy memory, since D finished OA less than a month ago, but I think she applied in March. She loved OA and said her decision to do OA was one of the best she’s ever made.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom, you are right as usual :)</p>

<p>Old thread shows the AA form became active March 17</p>

<p>Yes, if you are interested in either program, apply as soon as the application becomes active. Space is limited and the programs are a great way to start off your college career.</p>

<p>i would highly recommend AA. met tons of great people, both freshmen and upperclassmen student leaders.</p>