OA begins tonight with cookout

<p>OA…things seem to be going very well. Son is a driver so he’s participating as well. Came home soaking wet one day, but in great spirits. </p>

<p>They’re all making new friends…which is awesome! What a great way to adjust to coming to a new area and new school. </p>

<p>Said the kids are great. On one long drive back to campus, all the kids were asleep…worn out from the work and worn out from getting up so early. lol (I feel for the west coast kids…the time change has likely been a killer for them.)</p>

<p>Son said he is working hard but having a blast. And he said the prof dinner went well too. Unfortunately, he still does not have his razor, so I am sure that he is feeling and looking really scruffy right now. Oh well, it should be there today!</p>

<p>Thanks for posting that! That’s my son in the picture. Now I know he’s alive!!!</p>

<p>Is your son installing the park bench? It’s cute to see them checking out the level to make sure it’s not lopsided.</p>

<p>He is pulling debris out. Blond hair.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Hey, what doesn’t kill you, makes you tougher, lol. Try HST>CDT. :)</p>

<p>OA is the bomb. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>And a fine looking lad he is!</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>Which pic? The only blond I see is the “Swamp Barbie” supervising OA… …lol</p>

<p>Malanai…after I wrote about West Coast kids, I did think about the Hawaii kids…wow…that’s a time difference!</p>

<p>Mom2k- did you click the link trvlbug posted? It’s an article in Tuscaloosa News.</p>

<p>Thank you Malanai!</p>

<p>oh…ha ha…I thought the pic was on Facebook.</p>

<p>*Molly Cory had never heard of kudzu before this week. Coming from a small town in California, the 18-year-old University of Alabama freshman didn’t know much about lakes or rivers. But she learned — quickly.</p>

<p>“I never knew Alabama had so many different forms of life,” Cory said. “And I have never seen so many trees.”</p>

<p>Cory was one of 80 UA Honors College students participating in Outdoor Action, an environmental service learning program that began in 2005. Every August, Honors College freshmen spend a week learning about Alabama’s unique environment and ways to preserve that environment, as well as getting to know other freshmen with similar environmental interests.</p>

<p>Another group of Honors College students worked at Flatwoods and Crestmont elementaries this week as part of Alabama Action, a sister program of Outdoor Action.*</p>

<p>Another article and pics:
[UA</a> freshmen pitch in with Hurricane Creek cleanup for service-learning program (photos) | al.com](<a href=“http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2012/08/ua_freshmen_outdoor_action.html]UA”>UA freshmen pitch in with Hurricane Creek cleanup for service-learning program (photos) - al.com)</p>

<p>Thanks for the links. It’s great to see the kids in action (although my D has successfully avoided the pictures).</p>

<p>Thanks for the link! My son is front and center in one of the pictures (hand on lumber with red gloves). He’s texted a few times since we left on Sunday and called yesterday afternoon when they were on a break (meeting back at the Quad in the afternoon but there could have been a rain delay). He said he was having a good time - is enjoying Outdoor Action, had hit it off with a sorority recruit (she was in the background), talked with his RA about the wrestling club - he seems to be adjusting just FINE.</p>

<p>On a creepier note he said there were wolf spiders the size of “baseballs” in the park they were working at - he thought they were mice in the grass at first…</p>

<p>Spiders the size of baseballs?! That would have done my D in.</p>

<p>My son obviously did not see the spiders, or he would have been back in the van. Not a fan of spiders ! </p>

<p>He is in one of the pictures too. THe one with two students bending over a log (second pic). He is in the foreground, not the one holding the ax upside down. It is good to see him laughing!</p>

<p>My son doesn’t like spiders either (really - does anyone?). I told him I thought he MIGHT be exaggerating on the baseball size but he claimed they were big and he did think they were little mice from a distance… Mice he likes.</p>

<p>My D doesn’t mind spiders. She’d be happy to kill them for any of those OA boys out there who don’t like them.</p>

<p>Local TV video of the kids
[New</a> students clean up creek - CBS 42 Birmingham, AL News Weather Sports](<a href=“http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/New-students-clean-up-creek/e_FWqZ-rMkOab7qhruCrWg.cspx]New”>http://www.cbs42.com/content/localnews/story/New-students-clean-up-creek/e_FWqZ-rMkOab7qhruCrWg.cspx)</p>

<p>My son is in the red tshirt :)</p>

<p>Thanks CrimsonMomNC, you just made my day! …and my wife’s!</p>