Oct ACT scores are up

<p>D just came running in, asking me to get online to check her ACT scores. The writing score isn’t up yet, but the rest was.</p>

<p>The whole point of her taking it again was for her to work on the math and bring that score up. Well, she never made the time to do that, so her math score stayed the same. But she increased her composite from a 32 to a 33.</p>

<p>English 36
Math 29
Reading 35
Science 30
Composite 33</p>

<p>So we’re happy, and hope this will add just a little extra bit to her CBHP and UFE applications!</p>

<p>Good to hear! I was in the same situation - math needed to come up, which it only did by one point but a 35 on the english section helped me out. I got the 30 I needed and can now realisitically consider Alabama.</p>

<p>Congratulations on achieving the full tuition scholarship! I hope you end up choosing UA. We’ve been very impressed with everything so far. It’s also the only college my D will even consider attending.</p>

<p>Same thing happened with my daughter’s best friend, who really needed the full tuition scholarship for UA to be a definite. She first made a 28, then bumped it up to a 31. She also took it again in October, but I haven’t heard about her new scores yet.</p>

<p>Congrats to all!</p>

<p>mavs…what’s your major?</p>

<p>Just checked D’s scores, and she got a 30. Not enough for the Presidential, since we’re OOS, but she’s a junior so she still has time. This is the first time she took the ACT and she went into it cold - didn’t crack a review book, do a practice test or even sharpen her own pencils. She asked me the morning of the test whether the ACT was the test she was supposed to guess on. Grrrrr. I’m hopeful that if she works to prepare for the next one she can pull it up a couple points.</p>

<p>beth’s mom, well worth doing prep work before the test. The Presidential Scholarship is a “big carrot” to dangle (lol)</p>

<p>Congratulations!</p>

<p>My daughter’s score went from 30 to 31, which is great but I was really hoping for a 32 and that full tuition scholarship. We haven’t had a chance to visit Alabama yet, so at this point, with all the reading I’ve done here, I’m more enthused about Alabama than she is. I think once we visit that will change. She did take the SAT last weekend, let’s hope she scores at least 1400. If she doesn’t score high enough I’m not sure that we can justify the expense compared to staying in Florida, with Bright Futures and the scholarships she has been (or likely will be) offered. I’ve got an older daughter in college too and even with the prepaid plan and Bright Futures she’s still a big expense.</p>

<p>Florida Mom, my fingers are crossed for your D and her SAT score. It’s great to have options, so I hope she gets what she needs for the Presidential.</p>

<p>The 2/3 tuition scholarship is enough to make Alabama a financially better option than my state’s flagship, UIUC. In-state tuition and required campus fees for business and engineering majors at UIUC are in excess of $18,000 (I think it’s $4K less for most other majors). And since ACT scores of 30-32 are only in the middle 50% of scores for accepted students in the business and engineering schools, you’re unlikely to get merit scholarships with those stats (according to Naviance, there are plenty of kids at my D’s HS who don’t even get admitted with those scores). So Alabama, with its generous scholarships and appealing honors program, is an attractive option for kids like my D.</p>

<p>Congratulations to everyone who received the scores that they wanted and good luck to those still waiting on their scores. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>*
The 2/3 tuition scholarship is enough to make Alabama a financially better option than my state’s flagship, UIUC. In-state tuition and required campus fees for business and engineering majors at UIUC are in excess of $18,000…</p>

<p>So Alabama, with its generous scholarships and appealing honors program, is an attractive option for kids like my D. *</p>

<p>I think that’s one reason Bama gets a good number of kids from Illinois.</p>

<p>Wow I feel like Im slacking haha. I “only” got a 28, but thats what I was shooting for.</p>

<p>Yes Woodsy, sometimes here on CC it might seem like “only” a 28 isn’t a great score, but in the real world, a 28 is fantastic, and in the top 9% nationally. Congratulations!</p>

<p>Woodsy…congrats! A 28 is a very good score. You’ll get into the honors college and you’re in the 91st percentile! That’s something to be proud of!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>What state are you from?</p>

<p>I’m sorry I haven’t been on in a while, but thank you! Im from the Birmingham area actually.</p>

<p>Woodsy…good…since you’re instate, you get about a half tuition scholarship.</p>

<p>What’s your major? If you major in Engineering or Comp Sci, then you get another $1500 per year.</p>

<p>Wait, so I would get half tuition for my gpa??? I recieved a letter stating that I got the Collegiate Scholar Scholarship because of my ACT and GPA but that is only 14,000 over four years. Im undecided at the moment though :/</p>

<p>I said **about a half **tuition. I didn’t say “half”. You’d get $3500 per year, which is about half of instate tuition. I probably should have been more clear.</p>

<p>Anyway…what majors are you considering? you should at least pick a good one that might mean more scholarship money!!</p>

<p>Oh, sorry. I was thinking about psychology or maybe criminal justice.</p>

<p>Yikes!!!..Now that I look at my post, I wish I had written it better…it looks harsh and I didn’t mean it to be at all. :)</p>

<p>Ok…Psych or criminal justice…hmmm…I wonder if either depts give scholarships. Go to each website and check. </p>

<p>I’d hate for you to miss out on a possible scholarship by not naming the major.</p>