Off-campus housing at Binghamton

My son was accepted at Binghamton as a transfer student. He wants to live off campus, but doesn’t drive. Is there off-campus housing within easy commutation by bus? Alternatively, are there apartments for rent within walking distance? He hasn’t been to the campus yet, and insists he wants to live alone.

@EllynP I can’t tell you much about the bus system, but there really aren’t apartments for rent within walking distance of the university. Binghamton is on the Vestal Parkway, which is very retail-centric and a super busy road, and most of the off-campus housing is in the city of Binghamton and areas that would require a car to get to. You might be able to find something within walking distance if you look hard enough, but the area of Vestal where the university is does not have much to offer in that respect.

@Karategirl431993 , you’re missing two major popular off-campus communities. I have only amazing things to say about Hayes. Cheap, ten minute walk to campus. For a more ‘luxury’ experience there’s University Plaza - slightly longer walk, but there are buses every half hour to both Hayes and UP.

edit- Actually, google tells me UP is now called UClub.

http://www.hayesstudentliving.com/

Thank you both so much. Hayes looks perfect. I’ll call on Monday and see if they have openings for September.

For every off campus community there is a bus that will take your son to Binghamton’s campus for free.

Can recommend some apartments which is cheaper, but near to the campus? my budget is a little tight.

thanks

I think I paid about $660/mo for Hayes.