Off Campus Housing vs On Campus Costs

<p>Looking ahead–if son chooses Bama he is required to live on campus freshman year. A quick look makes it appear that due to new housing, renovations that Bama is on the high-end of housing costs. Do others get the same impression. Is it possible to find cheaper alternatives off campus and do most students move off campus after freshman year? 4K a semester for on-campus housing seems a little steep.</p>

<p>Freshmen are only required to live on campus for the first year. Living off campus can be much less expensive especially if you do not take any of the meal plans, and mostly cook for yourself.</p>

<p>you can pick one of the less expensive dorms. you don’t HAVE to pick the suite style dorms.</p>

<p>you can find off campus housing in all price ranges. i think you can find off campus housing that would be comparable to the suite style dorms for less than the cost of living in the dorms. you can also find housing that costs more than living in the dorms.</p>

<p>p.s. i am an aggie86. : )</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>you folks are young. I graduated from college in 80. :eek:</p>

<p>It can be cheaper to live off-campus…However, when renting off-campus, you have to rent for all 12 months. The nicer places off campus aren’t cheap. </p>

<p>My son’s place at the Retreat has rent of about $550 a month for his share (5 boys in a 5 bedroom unit. However, since the roomies are A/C and Heating hounds, we usually get a electricity surcharge.</p>

<p>On campus, your Housing costs pay for rent, all utilities, security, community areas maintenance/cleaning, RA’s rent, etc.</p>