Off Campus Housing with dining plans

Trying to navigate the labyrinth that is off campus housing. The requirements that I have are that there must be at least one roommate, a shared bathroom, be on a campus bus route and include a meal plan. The meal plan is negotiable if someone can provide justification for the on campus meal plan, while still living off campus.

I have not been able to find a simple list of all the off campus options that include a meal plan, which would be most helpful. I have found a list that includes all other amenities listed above.

Also, any feedback, reviews, information, etc about any of the off campus housing options would be really helpful too. Thanks!

There are several large dorm-like off campus housing right on the edge of campus (no bus route needed) for those. Some are located off of University in the area called Northgate - Traditions is one of them - there are others but not sure of meal plans. That area is also right across the street from one of the on campus dining halls. You do not have to have a meal plan to eat at an on campus dining hall - you can pay as you go.
There is the Callaway House near Bush& Wellborn which is the opposite side of the university, on the other campus edge that has meals.
Cambridge is on a bus route with meals available too. That one is located between Blinn and TAMU.

Those are the 3 that I know of with meal plans, that are very much like dorms. Most of the off campus housing does not have meal plans but do have roommate matching.

Is Northgate near the Engineering buildings? I am thinking ahead to next year but I would also want to see if we could find someplace with either its own meal plan or close to a TAMU dining hall for my son. . They all seem to say “walking distance to campus” but I am just not that familiar with the campus layout yet.

Yes, Northgate area is across the street from Northside Garage, Northside dorms and engineering buildings.

Thanks again AGmomx2 - I knew of those three, was just hoping that there was a more economical choice that wasn’t a permanent vacation. Living at a resort with hot tubs, game rooms and color changing, cascading pools isn’t exactly preparing these kids for the real world - spring break, maybe, but real world, definitely no.

Yes, this is the latest trend in University housing. I actually don’t know of a lower end apartment complex that does roommate matching/ pay by the room even without the meal plan. The lower end ones rent the whole apartment & you’re responsible for finding your own roommates which is tough for an incoming freshman unless you have friends here, so there are very few freshmen in those types of apartments. On campus housing is far more primitive with the exception of the new dorm, Hullabaloo - it’s pretty luxurious too. Are you on the waitlist?

I haven’t done any other housing tours yet - are they all really like this?

Yes, we are on the wait list and of course, Hullabaloo is at the top of her list…sigh. At least she had the foresight to choose the “engineering” dorm too. I’m really hoping that she gets on campus housing. And you hit the nail on the head: incoming freshman - so we do need some of the features that are offered and I suppose I should be grateful that there are off campus options that provide meal plans and utilities.

Yes, many of them are similar that have roommate matching- like I said I can’t think of one that isn’t like that-maybe someone knows of one. They have various features but often include pools, sand volleyball courts, weight rooms, game rooms, movie rooms etc. One has a lazy river, another has a big screen over the pool,…it’s amazing. There is a huge demand, so they keep popping up. It will be interesting to see how the on campus housing goes this year - you might just get lucky! Having Hullabaloo on your list is a big plus - they won’t assign you to anything in a more expensive category than your highest stated preference. So only those who put down Hullabaloo can get it on the waitlist & you can also get assigned every other housing option below it which increases your chances.

My son will be an RA in Clements next year, but I don’t think he will cut anyone any slack! Kidding aside, he says that it is pretty nice and it is just south of the Honors Dorms and Sbisa Dining Hall. Clements used to be a freshman honor dorm and a lot of sophomore honors students live there. It’s one of the Modular Halls, two roommates with a shared bath.

I know some of the off campus amenities seem ridiculous. However, what I found is that places without the amenities(while cheaper) seemed to lack the “safety factor” that I wanted for a female student. YMMV, but this is my experience. Traditions has a party animal reputation. I don’t know how true that is though.