Off campus housing

<p>Any recommendations for affordable off campus housing? Also, does anyone know what the chances are of getting housing as a sophomore. My son is telling me he might not get on campus housing so he has been looking into moving off campus with some other students he knows.</p>

<p>Younger son is moving to The Retreat next year. It’s unbelievably nice…and on the Crimson Ride. </p>

<p>It’s not cheap, but it’s less than honors housing.</p>

<p>Have you looked at the off-campus housing link in Bama Housing?</p>

<p>what are the chances of NOT getting housing as a sophomore? is this really an issue?</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>I really don’t know. My kids have always gotten housing.</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s an issue. Most students who don’t have housing scholarships move off-campus as soon as they have the chance.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry about getting housing as a sophomore, I didn’t have any trouble getting housing this year. I’m more worried about trying to move to the Bluffs by myself next semester. It becomes more of an issue when you get picky about where you want to live and with whom you want to live.</p>

<p>thanks for the replies -
worrying about if my DS can get housing as a soph. was NOT in my plans!</p>

<p>I think not getting housing is a merely a consequence of not being timely about renewing your contract. As long as you keep on top of things, you should be fine.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I agree. always renew ASAP. Always do each step ASAP.</p>

<p>My son has a housing scholarship, but two of his suite mates do not. No one seems too worried about it for next year.</p>

<p>I think it would be a good idea for the current Bama students to ask around (maybe paste the Q on Facebook) to find out which off-campus apts are preferred.</p>

<p>Then we could have a list here on CC. :)</p>

<p>For those without housing scholarships, living off campus is typically cheaper than living in honors housing.</p>

<p>I see off-campus housing fairs in the Ferguson Center fairly often. All the major apartments complexes (like the Retreat, Campus Way, University Village) and the major apartment owners (like Sealy and H.A. Edwards) are represented. They are usually well-advertised in the CW.</p>

<p>The Retreat is really unbelievable…just like having your own vacation cottage. </p>

<p>Gorgeous area, beautiful amenities (the pool is like a luxury hotel pool), lovely community room, etc. </p>

<p>They aren’t apartments; they are cottages. [The</a> Retreat at Lake Tamaha](<a href=“http://www.retreatalabama.com/community/photogallery.php]The”>http://www.retreatalabama.com/community/photogallery.php)</p>

<p>[The</a> Retreat at Lake Tamaha](<a href=“http://www.retreatalabama.com/amenities/]The”>http://www.retreatalabama.com/amenities/)</p>

<p>Believe me…no college student ever had it this good!</p>

<p>I thought he would still be able to get housing. He is worried. I am not. I think it is probably a rumor that is going around but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared. I know there is a meeting I think it is today in one of the dorms to get info about off campus housing. I told him to go and see what they are saying. I hope he can stay on campus. I am really not ready for him to move. But, he does have friends who want to move off campus so it makes sense to look into it.</p>

<p>There is about 7500 beds on campus (I don’t think this counts The Bluff or married/grad housing). </p>

<p>Freshman get most of 7500 since there are over 5000 frosh (although some have families in T-town and commute). The rest of the beds go to NMFs and returning students. </p>

<p>With so many students now coming from OOS, I don’t know at what point it will be harder for returning students to get on-campus housing.</p>

<p>I think one of the reasons why The Bluff and The Retreat are on the Crimson Ride route is because some/many of the residents are from OOS and need transportation.</p>

<p>There is probably other housing near Crimson Ride routes over by the stadium, The Strip, and other areas on the south side of campus. </p>

<p>Are there any apts on the immediate east side of campus (besides the senior-living apts for the elderly)?</p>

<p>Okay, I want to go live at The Retreat!</p>

<p>Wow, the Retreat looks amazing. I love the Craftsman look. I was really against living off campus, but between the Bluffs and this place, wow. Is reserving off campus housing along the same schedule as on campus, or does it happen earlier or later? I remember with my older two you had to do off campus first semester the year prior to get the good places.</p>

<p>I think you sign up for The Bluff during honors housing selection times - since the school has some connection there. </p>

<p>At the Retreat, you sign up whenever you want - as long as spaces are available. I signed my son’s lease last Friday since I was there…but I could have faxed it in if I were elsewhere. </p>

<p>Not sure how the other off-campus apts do their thing. I imagine kids just contact and find out what’s available and put down deposits.</p>