Off Campus Housing

<p>I was wondering if you experts out there would share what you know about the different off campus housing options. I’ve read about The Retreat, which sounds awesome, but was wondering what else is out there. Thanks for your help!!</p>

<p>Also when should leases be signed to be assured of getting what you want? Is there a shortage due to the damage from the tornado?</p>

<p>I don’t think there is a shortage because of the tornado because there was an excess of housing before that.</p>

<p>The Bluff is also a student housing option, but I think The Retreat is better (price and amenities). [The</a> Bluff at Waterworks Landing - Tuscaloosa, Alabama’s Luxury Apartments](<a href=“http://bluffatwaterworks.com/]The”>http://bluffatwaterworks.com/)</p>

<p>The Bluff is adding (or has added) a swimming pool, community room, and more apts, but I don’t know if that’s complete yet. It was due to complete this Fall.</p>

<p>So, when they get back for second semester would be an ok time? They don’t have to commit before the end of first semester, right?</p>

<p>For off-campus, January signing is fine.</p>

<p>Could those of you who have experience comment about parking in the off campus complexes (The Bluff, The Retreat) or others you are familiar with? Is parking an assigned spot or random? Right near your unit or a walk (on average how far in minutes if you know.) Any covered parking at either location or other complexes you are aware of who may have? When living off campus and driving onto campus how is the parking? Specifically are the parking lots far from classes? Would one waste a lot of time searching for spots etc.? DD is driving on/off campus at least once a day for athletic commitments, off campus weekly for tutoring at a local school, and needs to be on campus in the evenings at least once a week due to academic and cultural event commitments. The bus/shuttle won’t be an option at all times as time constraints often have her going from practice to class or other academic commitments with very little time in-between. She’s thinking staying on campus (has applied for it) is the best option for time management, covered parking in RCS, and to avoid parking issues of going on/off campus. However if off campus living/parking is manageable she might like the option. Also as another poster asked…when do students usually sign leases for the coming year if going off campus? For on campus can anyone comment on where most honors sophs live…Which dorms and floors?</p>

<p>Students living off-campus who wish to park on-campus are able to obtain reserved, commuter or perimeter parking. Reserved parking is most expensive ($450 for next year) but guarantees you a spot in a choice parking area such as they ten Hoor Parking Deck or the South Ferguson Parking Lot. Commuter parking and perimeter parking are progressively further out and less expensive. You can go to Parking Services’ website to see all the information and maps about campus. [Parking</a> Services](<a href=“http://bamaparking.ua.edu/]Parking”>http://bamaparking.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>I dunno specifics about finding off-campus apartments since I’ve never had to do it. But the possibilities are endless, depending only on how close or far you want to live from campus. I’ve heard the choice properties fill up by the beginning of spring semester, so I would begin research into off-campus housing now. The housing office has all kinds of information about off-campus housing on their website.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/off_campus/]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/off_campus/)</p>

<p>lil bro lives at University Downs on 15th st between Hackberry & McFarland. Nice complex that was just barely missed by the tornado. It’s a bit far to walk to class (1.5 - 2 miles) but if you have a bike it’s a piece of cake. </p>

<p>They charge each resident separately so you don’t have to worry about your roommate not coming up with his share of the rent. lil bro pays $500 a month for his share of a 2br/2ba which is all inclusive (rent, elec, water, cable, internet)</p>

<p>Could those of you who have experience comment about parking in the off campus complexes (The Bluff, The Retreat)</p>

<p>Since I’ve had kids at both…</p>

<p>Neither has assigned spots.</p>

<p>The Bluff has plenty of parking. There is parking outside the residences (straight in parking) and there’s a parking structure UNDER the complex as well.</p>

<p>The Retreat seems to have plenty of parking as well. There are “straight in” parking spaces in front of each cottage. </p>

<p>*The Retreat: How many parking spaces are provided?
Parking is not reserved, but there is approximately one parking space for each bedroom plus one guest space per cottage.
*</p>

<p>So, for my son’s 5 bedroom cottage, there are 6 spaces in front of the cottage…but none are “assigned.” </p>

<p>Pets are also allowed at The Retreat, but you must pay a deposit. If you have a pet, I recommend keeping it downstairs. The floors downstairs are “Pergo style” so better for pets.</p>

<p>The Retreat and The Bluff charge each student separately. And, you don’t need to “fill up” your cottage. They’ll place kids in your cottage if you don’t have enough roomies.</p>

<p>Students living off-campus who wish to park on-campus are able to obtain reserved, commuter or perimeter parking. Reserved parking is most expensive ($450 for next year) but guarantees you a spot in a choice parking area such as they ten Hoor Parking Deck or the South Ferguson Parking Lot</p>

<p>My younger son has “commuter parking” and his rate is about $250 per year. </p>

<p>My older son has to pay nearly $900!!! for his parking at his grad school (another university) and parking is NOT close to his buildings. :frowning: Oh, and he has to pay $100 to park at his university-owned apt bldg, too. And…they have NO VISITOR parking that is free…NONE…We had to pay $12 to visit there! So, Bama is much more reasonably priced for these things.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m also curious about what most of the honors sophs do regarding on campus housing. D is NMF so will be in campus housing for all 4 years, but we are both already concerned about roommates for next year since most of her friends (and current roommates) do not have the housing scholarship so will opt to live off campus. How did other NMF find roommates? Was it just potluck again for their Soph year?</p>

<p>Feno, NJ and m2K: Thanks for all the great info and links for researching off campus. I will be sure to pass on to DD. We are familiar w/Univ. Downs, rented a condo there when brought her to school in Aug. which was very nice. The train noise would be a concern though… we all adjusted fine for the week but not sure she would want it all the time with her early practice schedule…however we were right in back next to the tracts, possibly not as much an issue in areas more upfront and parking was never a problem. </p>

<p>NJ: I’ve been meaning to thank you for your assistance for looking for a ticket for the Vanderbilt game for husband; he ended up deciding to wing it not knowing for sure if he would make it down from D’s athletic venue in TN the same day. He made it with plenty of time to spare. He had made a contact w/the local county schools for the book drive books DD had collected that he was bringing down and texted him when he got to T-Town that day which resulted in an invite to tailgate…turned out a relative of that guys couldn’t make it and they gave him that ticket/would not take any money for it. They also had him walk over to the Capstone with them to see the players load the bus…a real thrill! And he had spoken with one of the band members while out on the quad who told him to come back and walk along side as they made their way to the stadium which he did. To top it off he met with some of the top folks in the Honors College/UFE who had nice things to say about DD (had his proud papa moments) so he had a very full experience at his fist Bama f’ball game! The Southern Hospitality really is so true!!! When he called me he said he had been adopted by a very nice family…I was telling local family that I thought I was going to be left on my own…wasn’t sure he was going to come back…ha ha! But he and his Toyota (he’s proud to say w/over 160,000 miles) hauling 2,500 books made it from the northeast to T-town and back -minus the books on way home:) Anyway, we did appreciate you searching for a ticket for him and the emails the couple wks prior!</p>

<p>Y’all are so great w/helping out w/information it has made our transition w/our only off a Bama so much easier. And she is soooooooo happy with her choice…what more could we ask for!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yikes! I assume he goes to grad school in a big city. This sort of thing highlights the advantages of going to school in a smaller city like Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>DD currently lives in Sterling Crimson. It is 8 tenths of a mile from campus, a quick walk . You might remember it for the news it received when a young man was shot there by a stray bullet early on in the school year. that being said we have had no problems security wise but had I know the neighborhood was a sketchy as it is I probably would have thought a second time about signing the lease.<br>
About this time of year there is a flurry of activity an paranoia about where to live “next year”. We fell into this group last year and signed a lease in the beginning of November because everyone told D that she wouldn’t get housing. That was not true. I wish we had waited for various reasons.<br>
She pays $605 for a bedroom in a 4bdrm apt. She also pays electric split 4 ways. Sterling has a beautiful pool complex and gym which she uses every day. There have been a few times where the gate entering the community has been left open because it was “broken” as well as the swipe card gate into her particular complex. I have called the management company on those occasions and they assured me that they had security patrolling the complex and it was “secure”
Parking there is great but we did buy a parking pass ($250) that allows D to park in the lots by the basketball gym and the Rec Center. It was not money well spent as she usually finds a place by the Trunk on the days when she doesn’t walk.</p>

<p>When do most students move out of the dorms into off campus housing? I lived on campus for four years but that does not seem like the norm now days.</p>

<p>*When do most students move out of the dorms into off campus housing? I lived on campus for four years but that does not seem like the norm now days. *</p>

<p>Most schools do not have enough beds for students to stay on campus all 4 years. However, at Bama some kids do…especially the NMFs because their scholarships cover housing. </p>

<p>My older son (NMF) stayed on campus for 3 years, and then moved to The Bluff for his 4th year because his NMF scholarship could be used there (it’s the only off-campus apt that the NMF scholarshp can be used).</p>

<p>My younger son stayed on campus (Ridgecrest South) for 2 years and then moved to The Retreat (the most glamorous student housing there is…seriously amazing…resort-like pool, exercise room, tanning beds, etc). We pay about $560 a month and that includes basic utilities for his share of a 5 bedroom/5 bathroom apt which includes a laundry room.</p>

<p>Thanks for the parking maps Feenotype.</p>

<p>Great story trvlbug. </p>

<p>It would be great to have a way to identify a larger group of sophs, juniors and seniors who plan on staying in the dorms. Any ideas?</p>

<p>*It would be great to have a way to identify a larger group of sophs, juniors and seniors who plan on staying in the dorms. Any ideas? *</p>

<p>Your D is in CBH, right? There are probably a good number of NMFs in CBH. Those kids will likely be staying on campus.</p>

<p>My D just looked at University Downs yesterday, so far it’s her first choice, but she’s looking around more today.</p>

<p>I’m wondering, since these are apartments and have 12-month leases, if you’re happy with your spot, can you just sign another lease and stay in the same place the next year? Seems that would be a real convenience, not having to move your stuff into storage every summer.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes…my son will be at this apt for 2 years straight.</p>