Off-Topic Discussion from "Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting"

— Joni Mitchell

1 Like

Did you walk through the center of campus by the Old Well? It’s been a few years since my daughter graduated UNC but I don’t remember it being stripped of trees. She lived one street over from Franklin Street during her junior year and there were tons of large trees up and down the streets. surrounding campus. We happened to be visiting during Hurricane Matthew, and one of them fell and crushed the porch of the house next door - it sounded like an explosion.

1 Like

I did not get to, only where the tour guide took us. That could definitely be why!! There were definitely some, just not as many

1 Like

It’s always interesting to me to read people’s different views between UNC and Duke. I am probably one of the few that really prefers UNC’s campus to Duke’s. Duke does have many trees and is beautifully landscaped but UNC has many more than one might first notice. They have the Coker 5-acre arboretum, dozens of trails, Forest Theater which is an outdoor amphitheater in the woods for music and theatrical performances, the 750 acre woodlands in North Campus, the University of North Carolina’s conservational Botanical Garden and the beloved Davie popular tree which is 350 years old. Davie Poplar is so beloved that saplings from it were taken to all 100 counties in NC and planted in hometowns to bring a piece of UNC Chapel Hill to every corner of the state. Most of these are tucked away and unless you know they are there you might walk right past the path that leads to them.

I know many people love the architecture of Duke and it is beautiful but for me it seems oppressive and stilted. I love the eclectic and unique architecture of UNC. It appears thriving, growing, diverse and interesting to me. For me, UNC’s diverse architecture gives the impression you can be anyone and be accepted and Duke’s architecture gave me the feeling that there was an expectation to fit. This is of course ridiculous. I know that is not true. And, I love Duke and it is a diverse and intellectual place. Just noting how fabulous it is that the same institution can give people varying views.

I certainly don’t mean to imply your view was lacking. I think you are spot on in many ways. I do think Duke, as you walk through the gothic buildings and landscaped campus, has an aura of intellectual focus and UNC’s diverse architecture and hidden wooded spots gives it an aura of intellectual creativity.

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?:

It is (>40k students), but not a terribly huge campus. I’ve been on approaching 50 college tours with my kids—admittedly not all at high-enrollment places—and this is the first one with a separate housing tour.

(Several of them, of course, you can’t tour housing at all.)

2 Likes

My kids also preferred UNC’a campus. As city kids, they loved the proximity to the shops and restaurants of Franklin Street and the hustle and bustle of a larger campus. It was an eye opener for me, as a teen doing tours, I preferred Duke.

4 Likes

Carlsbad Caverns? White Sands?

3 Likes

I’ve made the drive from ABQ to Dallas many times and driving through west Texas sucks anytime of year. Although you’ll nearly be to ABQ, on a summer journey you could visit The Blue Hole in Santa Rosa. It’s a pretty interesting place to cool off/refresh before getting back on the road.

2 Likes

@ Auntlydia

Actually the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area has a population of over half a million people and is a fairly prosperous region, despite what the Billy Joel song would have you believe.

7 Likes

I live here and there are way more big oak trees on UNC’s campus than Duke’s which is surrounded by a young pine forest. You can look at it on Google Maps if you don’t believe me.

CUsucceed, nah, way more people prefer UNC’s campus. Duke is faux. Not really old. UNC’s campus has actual history.

5 Likes

Well, not to mention that “Allentown” was released in November 1982—which is to say that the time between that song and today is longer (as in years longer!) than the time between that song and the end of WWII.

A lot can change in 40+ years.

1 Like

@Auntlydia I would also look at Drexel in Philly and U. of Cincinnati as those two would likely be safeties for a student looking at Wake Forest, Bucknell, and Lehigh. They both have a heavier focus on co-ops.

2 Likes

@Auntlydia I agree with @AustenNut Drexel and Cinci might be targets. I was also thinking Fordham and DePaul or Loyola Chicago. Did you visit NC State? If he loved Miami I would think Emory would be a fit too but it would be a reach.

3 Likes

Many thanks for the replies! DS is interested in Drexel and we’ve got that on the visit list. He’s also interested in UMaryland. I mentioned Northeastern but he wasn’t psyched. (Maybe if someone else mentions it, he’ll become interested …).

1 Like

Funny you mention NC State! Would an OOS kid from the Northeast find his people there? DS loves sports and is interested in business (managerial stuff) and maybe communications.

2 Likes

Sure. Why wouldn’t he? I did it 30+ years ago (South Carolina). My sons too (Georgia Tech and Florida State). Tons of kids go OOS. Southern schools are passionate about sports and have excellent business programs.

3 Likes

We are in same general area OOS. DS loved NC State and Raleigh area. Favorable weather a plus. He would have gone there if they showed him the money!

1 Like

UCSD has a ton of eucalyptus trees as well.

Since you mention attending Aggie Day, I assume this report was from last year. Where did she end up attending?

1 Like

Yep. in fact, UCSD probably has more eucalyptus than UCD.

Lmao. what does this mean?

7 Likes