Off-Topic Discussion from "Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting"

“Horse country” was my very first thought.

2 Likes

There’s quite a bit of difference in terms of real estate values between Loudoun and the CA counties though.

1 Like

That’s a big win for Loudoun County, wouldn’t you agree? Younger residents, like my son, will be more likely to afford a starter home.

1 Like

And it’s also a big win for property owners in CA, whose seen their property values rise over the years.

1 Like

Just gotta say that the phrase “Brown koolaid” in the other thread made me go :nauseated_face:

I know that’s not what they intended but I’m surprised at how yucky that sounds! Although I am drinking coffee right now, and now that I think about it, “hot brown morning juice” isn’t any better. Maybe just calling it a “potion made out of magical beans”.

Which, as an FYI, is why posts containing the term have been hidden; user(s) flagged. The better strategy is to make one’s point using more acceptable phrasing Refer to rule 1 of site guidelines:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

1 Like

Ha, was the original post flagged too then? In any case I assure you it is no insult to my kids who would wear it proudly nor to me who am proud of them!

5 Likes

RXM, to be clear, I was referring to the original post. I think we’re on the same page. :wink:

2 Likes

I doubt many “love” Middletown. But like the other thousands of posters on this board who have developed an affinity for either alma mater or the place at which their children attend, Wes-connected people do, and rightly IMO, point out that Middletown isn’t all bad and has some hidden positives, which it does. Conversations involving comparisons to major cities are a waste of time. It’s like making an argument that pink is the best color.

Yes, I’ve noticed that about you. May I ask, why? It seems like such an odd way to spend one’s time.

You do seem to enjoy making a lot of wise cracks and put downs about the school your kid supposedly attends. I might say that’s a first for me in my travels on CC … or off the internet for that matter. And your few positive descriptions of Wesleyan seem rooted in thinly veiled sarcasm and hyperbole.

There is a practice on the sports message boards of posters who are fans of brand X posing as fans of brand Y and acting the role of the fool accordingly for obvious purposes. In sports I can understand it, though it’s still an eye roll. Academia … well, to each his or her own.

2 Likes

Oh God yes. Anyone who ever spent time in New Haven back in the day would know exactly why that extra stop was created.

Lots of hate for Middletown. Is it any worse than Bethlehem, Waco or the surrounding areas of Chicago, Columbia or Yale?

Wesleyan seems very comparable to Colgate although a bit more diverse. Wes has a higher yield (36% vs. 32%), more kids on fin aid (46% vs. 41%) and fewer enrolled through ED (51% vs. 58%).

2 Likes

C’mon y’all, don’t make me feel like I have to start saying “See my post #44 upthread” every ten or so posts here, 'kay?

(Nothing against your post specifically, @tristatecoog, it just happens to be the most recent one.)

6 Likes

I grew up in New York City, so my tolerance of non-suburban life is pretty high. Believe me when I say, Middletown is “Mayberry RFD” compared to the areas surrounding Trinity, Yale and Columbia. It’s a mixed bag economically but all that means is that there are dining choices for every pocketbook. Have your parents treat you to a full-course dinner complete with white tablecloths one night and make a drunken noodles run the next. Many of the Main Street establishments will even take meal plan credits. I can’t think of too many liberal arts college towns quite like it.

4 Likes

Food for thought:
Opinion | Elite Universities Are Out of Touch. Blame the Campus. - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

1 Like

Although sorry, but West Hartford in close proximity to Trinity has the Nutmeg state’s best dining in my humble opinion. The gastronomic choices are amazing, from Greek to Asian and some budget friendly as well.

2 Likes

Regarding the off topic water bottle discussion on the main thread… :slight_smile:

I was really surprised that the poster said that many of their tours included free food, and water in plastic bottles. Just as a data point:

• None of our tours offered food, although most suggested places we could go to eat after the tour.
  • Only one tour offered water in plastic bottles, and this was only offered on request for people who did not bring their own bottle.
  • Most tours mentioned in the confirmation email that we should bring a water bottle.
  • All tours pointed out the water bottle refilling station at the beginning of the tour, at the same time as pointing out the bathrooms.

Is this an east coast vs west coast difference? We’ve visited loads of west coast schools.

6 Likes

I’m a number of years out from college visits but when we toured, a number of schools gave vouchers to eat in the dining hall and did give out water. We toured in the Northeast, Mid Atlantic and the Midwest. I don’t remember regional differences.

That didn’t make a difference in the least in my D’s decision making process.

1 Like

Florida State gave each of us a bottle of water, a handheld fan with FSU admission facts on it and a branded single use poncho. Very practical! I think UGA had coffee, maybe? No other normal tour gave out any refreshments except Elon (who had a whole continental breakfast spread), but we visited there on a special “Wecome HS Seniors” type Saturday and did more than just a tour.