Offered to participate in BANNER Program...

<p>Anyone else on here get offered this? I had marked UW off my list completely based on the costs, but now it's really hard to turn them down after they just offered me an absolutely enormous amount of money to come to the school ($33k in grants, 2k in work study, 4k in fed. loans, and 600 EFC). I was under the impression UW's financial aid for out of state students was subpar, like most other public universities, and this really surprised me. I'm still leaning toward Grinnell, which I had pretty much decided on until I got this, but now I've decided to go back over everything, visit both campuses, and make the best informed decision I can.</p>

<p>So yeah, this is the UW board. I'm looking to study Chinese and Linguistics. Can anyone convince me to go to the beautiful city of Madison? How are these programs at UW? My basic impression is that UW offers tons of opportunities and a vast amount of resources, but, like most publics, you have to seek them out yourself, since the class sizes are larger and the attention from professors is sparser than if you attended a smaller college.</p>

<p>Also, one thing that irked me was that Chinese didn't have an ILC program. Are there any programs or opportunities for me that I haven't noticed?</p>

<p>I also got offered this program (and gladly accepted it). I’m from MN though, so I already had reduced tuition, but this definitely cemented my decision to attend Madison. Be a badger, there’s nothing like it. =) I don’t know about those specific programs, but anything from UW demands a great deal of respect, especially when you apply for grad school. If you don’t like the larger classes have you considered the Honors Program? Seeking out the opportunities gives one a great deal of responsibility and they do not baby you, as a smaller college might. This creates independent, motivated students. If you make an effort to get to know your prof they will be very willing to help (or so I have been told). </p>

<p>Good luck with your decision! Go where it feels right! If that is Madtown, excellent! You are guarenteed an excellent time and top-notch academics! If not, I’m sure you will be enormously successful at whatever university you choose!</p>

<p>Classes in those areas are likely to be relatively smaller. Upper level Chinese (5th semester and on) and Chinese linquistics and lit classes have under 30 in a class. Chinese film has 18, Advanced Chinese Lit had 15. Also get far more classes over 4 years.</p>