OFFICIAL 2016 African American Results Thread

<p>Official 2016 African American Results Thread </p>

<hr>

<p>Results are beginning to come in. Congrats to you all and keep the tradition of these results thread going.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/1046216-2015-african-american-results-thread.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/1046216-2015-african-american-results-thread.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Use this thread for results Only. </p>

<p>Use this thread for your discussion <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/1167408-african-american-black-class-2012-hs-thread.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/1167408-african-american-black-class-2012-hs-thread.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Where were you accepted:
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program:</p>

<p>[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT:
[ *] SAT IIs:
[ *] ACT:
[ *] GPA:
[ *] Rank:
[ *] Ap Courses:
[ *] Other stats:
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:
[ *] Teacher Recs:
[ *] Counselor Rec:
[ *] Hooks: URM
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country:
[ *] School Type:
[ *] Gender:
[ *] major strength/weakness:
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were:
[ *] significant awards/recognitions:
[ *] summer activities:
[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b]</p>

<p>Good Luck Everyone !</p>

<p>buuuuuuuuump! I know some of us must have results by now!</p>

<p>ACT: 26
GPA: 5.2
AP Courses: Senior Year: AP Micro/Macro Economics, AP Environmental Science, AP Spanish Language, AP Government and Politics, AP Literature and Composition
Subjective
Essay: I think I did a really good job on my essays, they’re fairly unique.
Teacher Recs: I asked my favorite and most helpful teachers, that have watch me grow, so I’m sure they came out fine.
School type: not as well known as our sister school, but fairly a competitive public school in the top 100 of the state
Weakness/Strengths: my weakness has to be my ACT score, Strengths are my grades and course selections over the last four years
Accepted: Ohio State University-Columbus, Loyola University Chicago, Depaul University, Carthage College, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, and North Central College, and I’m waiting on an answer from Marquette University
I applied to the Norfolk Scholars Program at OSU and I’m praying that I get some type of scholarship offer, because it’s my number 1 and I can’t afford to go there.</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: George Washington ED, College of Saint Rose, Hartwick College
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: Yes. from all of them.</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 1920 Super score . 620 CR, 650 M, 650 W
[</em>] SAT IIs: 640 USH, 530 Math I
[<em>] ACT: N/A
[</em>] GPA: 3.5 w
[<em>] Rank: 82/175
[</em>] Ap Courses: senior year only . pysch, spanish, bio
[<em>] Other stats:
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Essays: pretty good i guess. it was about my sophomore year in nigeria
[<em>] Teacher Recs: pretty awesome (according to my gc)
[</em>] Counselor Rec: definitely awesome. i have a great relationship with her
[<em>] Hooks: URM, not born in the US (not sure if thats a hook though)
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: NY
[<em>] School Type: catholic, private
[</em>] Gender: female
[<em>] major strength/weakness: strength: essays and i showed lots of interest in ED school. weakness: GPA, SAT
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: i showed tons of interest. interviewed, visited twice, did all the senior hs student programs, emailed, called, kept in touch. (all for ED school)
[<em>] significant awards/recognitions: NHS
[</em>] summer activities: summer course in CC.
[/ul]Other Factors: volunteer at vassar hospital and the local library. a bunch of other random volunteering</p>

<p>accepted to: Spelman, Univ. of Missouri- Columbia, Univ. Of Kentucky, Bradley Uni.
ACT: 30
GPA: 4.16
Ap Courses: we only got 3: calc bc, lit& comp, us hist.
Essays: alrite i guess
Teacher Recs: excellent
Counselor Rec: excellent
Hooks: URM
State or Country: chitown, illinois
School Type: independent, private
major strength/weakness: strength: ACT, GPA, some of my essays weakness: i gotta take SAT II’s over
why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: easy schools
significant awards/recognitions: NHS, 1st place english WYSE, a honor roll, premier scholar
summer activities: illinois aerospace, oxbridge l’academie de paris, carnegie mellon SAMS
Other Factors:two orchestras, internship</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: American University ( ED, test optional), George Mason (EA, non- test optional
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: N/A yet</p>

[ *] SAT: CR: 430 M: 420 W: 470 ( I’m the worse test taker ever)
[ *] SAT IIs: N/A
[ *] ACT: 21
[ *] GPA: 3.8/5, 3.3/4
[ *] Rank: N/A
[ *] Ap Courses: Gov/ Psychology
[ *] Other stats:
[ *] Essays: About how my Technology Student Association group (TSA) dance at fundraisers/ school events and bond.
[ *] Teacher Recs: French Teacher who loved me/ Coach/ science teacher for (3 year coach/2 year teacher) so she knows me extremely well.
[ *] Counselor Rec: I guess good because the students tell the counselors at my school what they want…
[ *] Hooks: uhh I guess being first generation?
[ *] State or Country:PA
[ *] School Type: Public, recognized (kobe bryant! haha)
[ *] Gender: Female
[ *] major strength/weakness: S: Organized, drive to learn W: can get lazy very quickly
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I’m honestly surprised for American but they included how they loved my CC and involvement with sports, for George Mason it was a great school for my abilities and whatnot.
[ *] significant awards/recognitions: NHS
[ *] summer activities: N/A

<p>nan1013: I definitely know you who are from the American U 2016 group! Haha. The Kobe Bryant thing definitely gave it away!</p>

<p>Well, since the admissions process is officially over for me, I guess it’s my turn to post.</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: American University (ED2), Arizona State, Cal State Fullerton, Drexel, Hawaii Pacific, Loyola Marymount, Loyola University New Orleans, San Diego State, San Francisco State, University of Oregon, University of San Francisco
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: Scholarships at all schools expect the CSUs (too lazy to list). Honors program invitation at CSU Fullerton and San Diego State</p>

[<em>] ACT: 27 (34 E, 24 S, 21 M, 30 R. 8 essay)
[</em>] GPA: 95.4/100
[<em>] Rank: Top 10%
[</em>] Ap Courses: European History, United States History, Macroeconomics, Statistics, and German.
[<em>] Essays: Common app essay was about being mixed. I thought it was excellent and my English teacher did, too.
[</em>] Teacher Recs: From my German teacher and English teacher. I’m gonna say that they were good, but I don’t know.
[<em>] Counselor Rec: I don’t know.
[</em>] Hooks: URM
[<em>] State or Country: United States
[</em>] School Type: Large public
[<em>] Gender: Female
[</em>] major strength/weakness: Strengths – Me being mixed, writing a fairly exceptional essay, and participating in some interesting, rare ECs definitely helped me stand out. Weaknesses – My GPA/rank and ACT score could have been higher. As you can tell, I’m not a math/science girl. :slight_smile:
[<em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: Everything was in God’s hands without a doubt. Thankfully, I was not denied/deferred from any school!! :smiley: (well… technically a school that I withdrew from denied me. Sore bums, lol.)
[</em>] significant awards/recognitions: Girl Scout Gold Award
[li] summer activities: Working and mentoring[/li][/ul]Other Factors: I listened to ‘We R Who We R’ by Ke$ha when I was viewing all of my decision letters/emails haha.
My brother died, my dad had 2 heart attacks, and my mom and I were both diagnosed with diseases throughout my high school career. I had 2 C’s on my transcript and a D on my midyear report, but my counselor and I explained everything and I guess my schools understood. :slight_smile:
I applied to American via early decision as an international relations major at literally the last second (I had to rush to get my ED agreement, etc, in). What better place to study IR than in D.C.? :slight_smile: Out of all the D.C. schools, I had always liked American the best and kept it in the back of my mind for a while until some little voice told me to give the school a shot and apply ED. I’m so excited to be attending in the fall!!</p>

<p>ahhhh I’m so excited for all of you!!PLease keep them rolling in!!</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Howard U, Morgan State U & Suny Oswego so far
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: N/A at the moment</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT: 1530 (Not so good)
SAT IIs: None
ACT: 21
GPA: 3.4
AP Courses: English Literature & Composition, Biology, & English Language & Composition
Essays: I think were well written
Teacher Recs: where from AP Biology teacher & AP Literature teacher and were great
Counselor Rec: I think it was good but I didn’t get to see it
Hooks: URM</p>

<p>Location/Person:
State or Country: New York
School Type: Public, Small
major strength/weakness: Strength- good writer & organized, Weakness: Procrastinators & test scores<br>
why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I think I was accepted because of all the activities I’ve done and my grades aren’t too bad
significant awards/recognitions: Honor roll & Gateway Shippy Program
summer activities: Work & volunteer</p>

<p>Other Factors: Treasurer of School’s Student Government Organization, had numerous jobs, volunteered for three years, took college credited courses at local college, do charity walks & participated in school dance company.</p>

<p>Bumping this for those with decisions rolling in :)</p>

<p>ACT: 31
GPA: 3.96 (4.0)
AP Courses: self study world history
Subjective
Essay: My essays were pretty decent. I wouldn’t say magnificent but I got my point across.
Teacher Recs: most were average but one…haha oh my it was great. Recommendation from volunteer stuff. It was very good.
School type: homeschool
Weakness/Strengths: weakness:extra curriculars…could’ve been more involved had I been given the chance. Strengths: maybe national achievement finalist. Idk?
Accepted: University of pittsburgh (full-tuition scholarship), drexel university (bs/md), fordham University, University of alabama, gannon and seton hill university (bs/do programs), and That’s it! Haha
Other comments: my resume of achievements was not up to a level I desired but I learned to work with what I was given (opportunity-wise). Some of my results left me quite surprised. Haha</p>

[ *] SAT:1840
[ *] SAT IIs: Bio Ecology -610 US- 630
[ *] ACT:didnt take
[ *] GPA:3.7
[ *] Rank:75/375 around~~that
[ *] Ap Courses:AP Gov, AP Lit, and AP Bio
[ *] Other stats:
[ *] Essays: Really strong I think, I spent a lot of time on my essays and had numerous people critique it for me.
[ *] Teacher Recs:not sure
[ *] Counselor Rec: strong
[ *] Hooks: URM, first generation immigrant, low-income
[ *] State or Country:NY
[ *] School Type: private religious school
[ *] Gender: male
[ *] major strength/weakness:essays and ECs / maybe my sat scores and my GPA
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were:
I think for the places I was accepted I just showed I wasn’t like everyone else. I was well spoken, eloquent about what I wanted to do with my future. My interests kind of connected and transferred well to what I saw in my future. I wasn’t a flat character. I dedicated myself to whatever interested me… the arts, public issues, just whatever I wanted that interested me. I know a lot of kids pull off their 2400s,get 4.0 GPAs, and are Stepford Students who got rejected to the places I was accepted into. Never think that a college just looks at the stats. They want to know who you are and what type of person they’re admitting into their school.
[ *] significant awards/recognitions:
[ *] summer activities: volunteered at a local museum and helped run the summer camp that taught kids about self esteem and public safety. was in a culture club, history club, newspaper club… etc other stuff I dont remember.

<p>Where were you accepted, Graphene?</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): 1320/ 2000 (M: 680, W:680 Cr: 640)
[</em>] ACT: didn’t take
[<em>] SAT II: Bio: 590 MathI 620
[</em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
[<em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): Didnt take
[</em>] IB (place score in parenthesis): Didn’t take
[<em>] Senior Year Course Load: All college classes (graduating with Associates Degree in Liberal Arts)
[</em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): None
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): science research, club founder/leader, intern at office etc
[</em>] Job/Work Experience: retail
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service: plenty
[</em>] Summer Activities: Anthropology/cs research internship
[<em>] Essays: I thought were excellent about a coin collection
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation: Great, they all loved me i loved them
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Great, we have an excellent relationship and I can only imagine that she wrote wonderful things.
[</em>] Additional Rec: NYU professor</p>

<p>[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): NY
[</em>] Country (if international applicant): US
[<em>] School Type: Competitive public
[</em>] Ethnicity: Black
[<em>] Gender: F
[</em>] Income Bracket: <75,000
[li] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, first gen, interested in science</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[<em>] Strengths:Essays for sure and the school I attend
[</em>] Weaknesses: Test scores, GPA</p>

<p>Accepted: Swarthmore, University of Binghamton. Denison University, University of Rochester</p>

<p>Rejected: Rice University, University of Pennsylvania </p>

<p>Waitlisted: Vanderbilt University, Duke University, Dickinson College</p>

<p>Waiting on Amherst (but have a feeling I will be waitlisted)</p>

<p>[/ul]General Comments: This process was fun, if I could I probably would do it again. Stay true to yourself and no matter where you end up you’ll do fine. I am probably off to Swarthmore. Only have to pay 1500$!!! What a deal. :slight_smile: Congrats everyone</p>

<p>Accepted: Williams (Early Write), Swarthmore (Early Write), Emory, UChicago (EA), Georgetown (EA), UPenn, Brown and Princeton.</p>

<p>Waitlisted: Columbia and Dartmouth</p>

<p>Rejected: Harvard, Yale and Stanford.</p>

<p>Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: University of Chicago Merit Scholarship</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): 730W/690R/570M - 1990
[</em>] ACT: 34W/29R/26S/25M (32 Essay) - 29
[<em>] SAT II: 700 US/670 Lit
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 96%
[<em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): 5 US/3 Lit
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP Spanish and AP Psych (among others)
[li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Discus Award Winner</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):Track and Field (Jump Team Captain), National Honor Society, Ebony Club, Yearbook.
[</em>] Volunteer/Community service: Soup kitchen volunteer
[<em>] Essays: My Common App essay was a response to visiting the land of my ancestors. It took me about five months to get it just right.
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation: Good, but nothing spectacular.</p>

<p>[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): New York City
[</em>] School Type: Catholic
[<em>] Ethnicity: African American
[</em>] Gender: Male
[<em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM (and recruited for Track and Field at Williams, UChicago and Emory)
[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[</em>] Strengths: Essays, grades and achievements in Track and Field
[li] Weaknesses: Standardized test scores[/li] [/ul]General Comments:
This was a long, long process. But the pain, the sweat, the tears were all worth it. Future applicants, don’t let anyone stop or discourage you from pursuing the schools you want to attend. Try your absolute hardest. Push yourself (mentally and physically).Work. You will achieve. AND DON’T SKIMP OUT ON ANY WRITING IN YOUR APPLICATIONS! I strongly believe this was the tipping factor for me. Best of luck to you all!</p>

<p>** Accepted ** Emerson College, Umass Amherst, Boston College, Northeastern University, MCLA, Suffolk University (I applied to 13 schools but i’m only listing the schools I cared about)
** scholarships/ Honors program: ** MCLA (Honors and scholarship) Suffolk (scholarship, did not apply for honors)</p>

<p>** Rejected **: Cornell, Boston University, NewHouse schools of Journalism at Syracuse University </p>

[<em>] SAT: 1800
[</em>] SAT IIs: Don’t remember :stuck_out_tongue:
[<em>] ACT: Nope
[</em>] GPA: 3.6 (93-94 according to my school)
[<em>] Rank: 18
[</em>] Ap Courses: I take full IB like a Boss.
[ <em>] Other stats:
[</em>] Essays: I wrote about my love for writing and how i’m a published poet
[<em>] Teacher Recs: 1 of them I know was amazing, the other, i’m not so sure.
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Nothing less than amazing :slight_smile:
[<em>] Hooks: URM ( I love how this one was filled out for me already, haha)
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul] I’m from the northeast
[</em>] State or Country:USA/MA
[<em>] School Type: Charter
[</em>] Gender: Female
[<em>] major strength/weakness: Amazing writer, horrible at math
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: Rejected from Boston University (makes NO SENSE!!!), Cornell (this one makes sense), and Syracuse NewHouse school of journalism (makes sense as well)
[<em>] significant awards/recognitions: Published multiple times all over the world. Blogger
[</em>] summer activities: Sleeping :wink:
[/ul]Other Factors: All I do is win, win, win no matter what…except when it comes to Cornell, BU, and NewHouse :confused:
Honestly, apply to as many places as possible. Don’t let these CC trolls dictate your future by telling you that you can or can not get into a specific school. I was told no to BC and yes to BU, but the opposite happened. Go where your heart is. My most expensive school at this moment costs a bit less than $8,000.
I had an interviewer tell me to tell him that I was from the ghetto had kids etc etc, don’t let these stupid people make you change who you are. Stay true to who you are throughout the entire application process, and a school out there will love you for who you are, and that place might become your home for the next 4+ years :)</p>

<p>GOOD LUCK!!! I’ll always be lurking around CC for anybody that ever wants to ask questions or whatnot :)</p>

<p>Accepted:
UConn (in-state)
Northeastern
UMiami
UPitt
Smith College
URochester
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Brown</p>

<p>Rejected:
MIT
Stanford</p>

<p>Did you get any scholarships/Honors program:
Honors at Miami, UConn, and Pitt. The others don’t have Honors except Northeastern, I didn’t get into honors there.</p>

<p>24k at Miami
1/2 tuition at UConn
full tuition, 4k engineering from Pitt
15k from Rochester
16k engineering from Northeastern</p>

[<em>] SAT: 2080, CR+M 1380
[</em>] SAT IIs: M2: 700 BioM 620 (concurrently took AP Bio as a class, so I think that’s pretty good for only learning 2 topics and self-studying the rest
[<em>] ACT: didn’t submit
[</em>] GPA: Straight As
[<em>] Rank: 4/249 at time of applying. will know final rank sometime next week or week after.
[</em>] AP Courses: 5. Stats, Calc AB and BC, Biology, US History
[<em>] Other stats: ?
[</em>] Essays: I loved them!! Especially my Brown essays; I really got to capture a complete view of myself (because of the questions they asked.)
[<em>] Teacher Recs: Great
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Great
[<em>] Hooks: being awesome :wink:
[</em>] State or Country: CT
[<em>] School Type: Public
[</em>] Gender: F
[<em>] major strength/weakness: Weaknesses, none (I know that sounds conceited, but I don’t think that there was anything ‘bad’ about my applications. Clearly the schools I was accepted to feel the same way!). Strengths- being unique, open, and expressive.
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: being myself, showing dedication (to activities, work, schoolwork, etc), passion, achievements
[<em>] significant awards/recognitions: a lot. my resume was 4 pages of awards.
[</em>] summer activities: work, volunteering. a lot.
[/ul]Other Factors: um… BEING AWESOME. AGAIN.</p>

<p>good luck everyone <3</p>

<p>daughter accepted at
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
Trinity
UMaimi
UConn
Syracuse
Boston U</p>

<p>It would be helpful if you could provide your daughter’s stats, like GPA, SAT, rank.</p>

<p>ACCEPTED: Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth(likely), Williams college(early write), Amherst College, Duke(early notification), Vassar, Johns Hopkins, Bowdoin(early write), Haverford, Wesleyan, middlebury, lafayatte(early write), brandeis, UConn</p>

<p>scholarships/ Honors program: UConn(comb.degree in medicine BA/MD + Honors, + full tuition)
Lafayette Marquis Scholar, Brandeis MLK Scholar
Rejected : Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford (didn’t mind at all since I got into my first choice Williams College :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>Stats:
•SAT: 1930
•SAT IIs: math 1-640, math 2-600, chemistry-660
•ACT: Nope
•GPA: 4.65 unweighted
•Ap Courses: Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, English Lang, English Lit
[ *] Other stats:
Subjective:
•Essays: I wrote about my hair and how I embrace it vs. when I was younger
•Teacher Recs: both really good
•Counselor Rec: really good
•Hooks: URM, 1st Valedictorian of Color in my schools 40 year history :slight_smile:
Location/Person:
•born in Zambia moved here when i was 5
•State or Country:USA/CT
•School Type: public
•major strength/weakness: I am a very good writer and I have a passion for what I dream of doing in the future, I only had A’s on my transcript so that made up for my SAT’s which i did not study for until 1-2 months b4 taking the test lol
•why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: I definitely put more effort into the schools I really wanted to go to. I applied to Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford “just to apply”. Yale i put a bit more effort into but it was not my first choice school so I think that showed now that I think about it.
•significant awards/recognitions: Bausch and Lomb, etc
•summer activities: research
Other Factors: People can def. see I have character</p>

<p>COMMENTS: I am thrilled that I got into my first choice school (Williams College), which also happens to be the #1 undergrad institution in the U.S according to Forbes :). After getting my early write from them, I didn’t care about the other school LOL.
I never imagined that I would go from moving here from Zambia and relying on food stamps/donations to live, to graduating 1st in my class with my parents as chemists and nurse as great models for my future. God has blessed me immensely more than I can ever imagine, and I give him all the glory for my success.
Never let people on CC tell you that you don’t have a chance of getting into a school because of your stats. Write unique essays that exude the passion you embody, never stop reaching for your goals, and always trust in God. :slight_smile:
Even if you didn’t get into your top school, don’t let the decisions of a committee dictate your future and your worth…YOU ARE STILL AWESOME! IT IS THEIR LOSS AND YOU CAN TAKE YOUR VALUE SOMEWHERE ELSE AND LET IT THRIVE THERE!!</p>