OFFICIAL Early Action Thread (Purdue Class of 2014)

<p>Oh I’ll check for sure, but what gives you that idea? The facts are against your statement, so don’t just make stuff up…</p>

<p>I believe he’s trying to give you hope, but yeah, he does that…</p>

<p>Tmac18 : why not just ask admission office will you receive the decision on Dec 11? I ask them and they told me I will see it on Dec 11.</p>

<p>Its possible, but I’m guessing they just didn’t know what they were talking about. Many people in Admissions offices do not know whether what they are saying is correct. I’ve gotten 3 emails confirming this, so I’m not going to call for no reason.</p>

<p>"Many people in Admissions offices do not know whether what they are saying is correct. ", this statement is correct!! :slight_smile: And not only Purdue Admissions offices :)</p>

<p>i submitted my online application october 6 and my sat scores got to purdue october 29. the lady on the phone told me that i would get a decision on december 11.</p>

<p>Many people on CC don’t know what they’re talking about either. If I had to pick who to listen to, I’d come down on the side of the admissions office if I were you.</p>

<p>Alright, sounds good, I’ll listen to the multiple Admissions people who say to wait eight weeks, and not a mysterious anonymous calls to people answering telephones. ;)</p>

<p>You’re right, many people on CC don’t know what they’re talking about.</p>

<p>My son received the likely letter as well. He has great stats and has also been accepted to U of MI Engineering. Does anyone know when he might receive info about merit scholarship from Purdue?? He went to the engineering summer camp and was very unimpressed. Any similar experiences out there??</p>

<p>Not sure about when we’ll hear about merit scholarships, but I know eligibility is based solely on the app. Can you elaborate on why your son was unimpressed?</p>

<p>Purdue’s merit scholarship general info:
[Purdue</a> University - Merit Scholarships](<a href=“http://www.purdue.edu/Admissions/Undergrad/costs/merit_scholarships.html]Purdue”>http://www.purdue.edu/Admissions/Undergrad/costs/merit_scholarships.html)</p>

<p>In prior years, notification of Trustees/Presidential Merit Scholarship awards were sent in the acceptance letter packet from admissions. I’m not sure if that will remain the same this year. The admissions office would know for sure, if you want to call and ask.</p>

<p>I’d like to hear why your son came away from his Purdue summer experience unimpressed, as well.</p>

<p>Congrats to your son on the Michigan admission - it sounds like he’ll have some great options for next year! :)</p>

<p>I believe that part of his dissappointment with Purdue is that he visited there after a trip to Michigan, Ann Arbor and a summer camp at Notre Dame (highly impressive and directed by the Chemical Engineering Department Head). Both programs were top notch and competitive. He thinks that Purdue’s academic standards are lower and they told him that he would be accepted there before he even applied. That likely took the wind out of his sails. He also noted that the summer program was mostly run by Grad students that looked bored and the Chemistry department secretary gave the tour of the Chem Engineering program. When he asked about Materials Science Engineering, her response was, “Why would you want to major in that when Chem Eng pays $10,00 more a year”. That in itself was the final nail in the coffin.</p>

<p>I’ll grant you that while both Michigan and Notre Dame are better schools across a greater array of programs, Purdue’s Engineering college programs are very highly ranked, as are Michigan’s. Notre Dame is a great university and very prestigious, but from an engineering perspective, it’s programs are not in the top 10 unlike Purdue and Michigan.</p>

<p>Purdue’s engineering program seems top notch, but in the end, if your son had bad experiences in visits to the campus, it’s always sound advice to trust your instincts, and Michigan is a wonderful school by all accounts, as is Notre Dame.</p>

<p>I also was curious about when we would hear about Merit Scholarships and asked admissions. They said that information about scholarships would be mailed about two weeks after the initial acceptance. So I am not sure if they meant that the scholarship information would come with the acceptance packet, which will probably come about a week or two after the online decisions, or if it is a seperate packet that will come 2 weeks after the actual acceptance packet is received. I am hoping it comes with the acceptance packet!</p>

<p>Hey I’m Vinay! I’m applying engineering, and I’m from the Northwest 'burbs of Chicago. I have a 3.8 W and 3.4 UW, which is due to me being an idiot freshman year, a 33 ACT (35E;32M;27R;36S), and I’m at 11.4% as far as ranking goes. Good luck guys!</p>

<p>less than a week!</p>

<p>In regards to the e-mail many of us received, applicants who submitted their application by October 16th, with subsequent materials arriving shortly thereafter, a decision would be made by December 11. Has anyone spoken to an admissions officer to confirm this? I have not found the time to call, but I know my high school transcript arrived on the 23rd of October, which leads me to believe I will get a decision Friday.</p>

<p>i spoke to an admissions officer and she said that even though my SAT scores arrived there 10/29, i will get a decision on 12/11. so i assume if you sent everything in by november, you’ll be getting a decision 12/11</p>

<p>Well - DS was the other way around. His scores/transcripts were in by Oct 16, but not his application. We never got an email/letter about the Oct 16 deadline so he was working to have everything in by Nov 1 (which he did).</p>

<p>Keeping fingers crossed…</p>

<p>Recommendation letters are optional, but do they delay your application decision process?</p>