OFFICIAL official 2014 African American Results Thread

<p>Okay, so we all agreed for another thread for future classes, since the other one didn't work out quite as well as we would've liked. Same rules; Just follow the template below. *Please keep this thread clean and just post your results, no other chatter. *</p>

<p>Make sure you remove the space right after the first [ in each line!]</p>

<p>Where were you accepted:
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program:</p>

<p>[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT:
[ *] SAT IIs:
[ *] ACT:
[ *] GPA:
[ *] Rank:
[ *] Ap Courses:
[ *] Other stats:
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:
[ *] Teacher Recs:
[ *] Counselor Rec:
[ *] Hook (if any): um yeah, were all URM!
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country:
[ *] School Type:
[ *] Gender:
[ *] major strength/weakness:
[ *] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were:
[ *] significant awards/recongitions:
[ *] summer activities:
[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b]</p>

<p>Good Luck Everyone !</p>

<p>There is already a thread like this.lol</p>

<p>yeah, but the other one is cluttered with conversational chats, making it harder for future applicants to just look at the stats; now that all of the decisions are out, i guess it would make more sense to start a new thread. (oops, i broke the rule =O)</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: FSU Honors, UA Honors, and UF Honors (only because of NAF status…)
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: A few, but I’m taking the $24,000 one from FSU since that’s on top of free tuition (Florida Bright Futures Program) and most of it’ll come directly to me</p>

<p>Stats:</p>

<pre><code>* SAT: 610 M, 690 CR, 670 W (1970 total)

• SAT IIs: none
  • ACT: (didn’t submit)
  • GPA: 3.5 UW, 4.1 W
  • Rank:50/386 (only IB school in county and surrounding cities so it’s kinda hard to get in and stay in)
  • Ap Courses:
  • Honors/pre-IB: 10
  • IB Courses: 12 classes (some are 2 year courses), 7 exams for college credit
  • Other stats:
    </code></pre>

<p>Subjective:</p>

<pre><code>* Essays: excellent, but I had one entire sentence that got screwed up when I pasted it from MSWord

• Teacher Recs: Not required
  • Counselor Rec: Not required
  • Hook (if any): black, first gen college student
    </code></pre>

<p>Location/Person:</p>

<pre><code>* State or Country: Fl

• School Type: Public with about 20% of us being the IB Program
  • major strength/weakness: writing, computer skills
  • why you think you were accepted/rejected/deferred where you were: not sure
  • significant awards/recongitions:
    IB Diploma Candidate
    VFW Voice of Democracy 1st place District Essay
    2010 National Achievement Finalist
    Ventures Scholar
    2009 National Leadership Summit Invitee
    some other local essay contests
  • summer activities: babysitting…
    </code></pre>

<p>Other Factors:
Lots of community service hours at various locations (Salvation Army, Homeless Shelters, tutoring center for underprivileged kids, assisting at the Hands are not for Hurting program, reading to kids at B&N, etc.)</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Stanford, Cornell, American, Georgetown SFS, UChicago, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Williams, Tufts, Brown and Northwestern
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: Full Rides for all</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT: 1880… 570 M, 610 CR, 700 W
SAT IIs: 740 World, 740 US, 710 Bio, 680 Math I
ACT: not taken
GPA: 4.0 uw, 4.7 w
Ap Courses: Bio (5), World (4), US (4), Enviro Sci (independent study) (4), English Lang (3
Senior Courseload: AP Micro, AP Gov & Poli, AP English Lit and AP Physics B</p>

<p>Other stats:
Essays: excellent; spent A LOT of time, energy and thought on them
Teacher Recs: i waived my rights, but i’m imagining that they were awesome
Counselor Rec: counselor doesn’t really know me, since she just became my GC in september. but since I got this far, i’m guessing that it was pretty nice =D
Hook (if any): um yeah, we’re all URM! … and i’m very low income; single parent in a single-bedroom apartment, father in jail, first one in family to go to a four-year college and i have to work to help out my mom with supporting my 3 younger siblings. discussed in my personal statement .</p>

<p>Location/Person:
State or Country: New York
School Type: public
major strength/weakness: for strengths, i’m guessing my ECs, courseload, essays and GPA…probably recs also . my major weakness, apparently, is my SAT I score.
why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: i think i was accepted because i showed that i’m a hard worker, regardless of the adversity that i’ve been through. i think i proved that i can handle what these schools have to offer me and i conveyed that i sincerely embrace challenges and that i love learning, just to learn =).
significant awards/recongitions: questbridge national college match/prep finalist, national geographic student expeditions scholarship winner, people to people student ambassadors scholarship finalist, AP scholar with distinction, ron brown scholar, gates millennium scholarship finalist, MSG Varsity’s “The Challenge” contestant (televised academic decathalon in the NY tri-state area) and a plethora of local and community based awards
summer activities: in 2007, i went to Europe as a student ambassador for 3 weeks; in 2008, i headed and supervised a summer tutorial for reading and math for elementary school children; and in 2009, i won a full scholarship to go to tanzania with national geographic student expeditions where i performed 50 hours of community service teaching AIDS orphans english and inserting a new water pipe in the agricultural village of maji ya chai. i also worked with reknown environmentalist, anna estes, in determining the problems of the maasai people and poachers and their impacts in the savannah. </p>

<p>Other Factors: KEEPING GOD FIRST IN EVERYTHING! if it wasn’t for the grace of god, none of this would’ve been possible. he has blessed me so much because i could’ve been in a very different place than i am today… to applicants of the future, don’t doubt yourselves. anything is possible with god on your side!</p>

<p>I did a lot of lurking over the past year, so I will do my civic duty and contribute…</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Columbia University :), Wesleyan University, Grinnell College, Occidental College, UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC San Diego, UC Irvine, UC Santa Cruz, Morehouse College </p>

<p>Waitlisted: Brown
Rejections: None</p>

<ul>
<li>SAT I (breakdown): 770 (CR) 670 (M) 780 (W)- 2220</li>
<li>ACT:</li>
<li>SAT II:750- USH 720- Literature</li>
<li>Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.87</li>
<li>Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):Top 2%</li>
<li>AP (place score in parenthesis):AP European History (4)</li>
<li>IB (place score in parenthesis): IB Spanish SL (6), IB Physics (4) (Most IB tests are taken senior year)</li>
<li>Senior Year Course Load: IB Biology HL, IB Theory of Knowledge, IB Statistics (Math Studies), IB History of the Americas HL, IB English HL, Journalism, Elementary Student Tutor </li>
<li><p>Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): :(</p></li>
<li><p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):FNL Mentoring (Vice President), Tutoring, Varsity Basketball, Varsity Track, Mock Trial, Academic Decathlon, Youth Leadership [city name], ASB.</p></li>
<li><p>Job/Work Experience: Youth Basketball Coach</p></li>
<li><p>Summer Activities:Leadership conferences, volunteer work</p></li>
<li><p>Essays: I liked them :)</p></li>
<li><p>Teacher Recommendation: One was probably really strong, and the other was probably average.</p></li>
<li><p>Counselor Rec: Amazing!</p></li>
<li><p>Additional Rec:Nope.</p></li>
<li><p>Interview: No interviews.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Other</p>

<ul>
<li>State (if domestic applicant):CA</li>
<li>School Type: Large public, but our grads do pretty well with college admissions.</li>
<li>Gender:Male</li>
<li>Income Bracket:150,000+</li>
</ul>

<p>Where were you accepted: Harvard, Princeton, Columbia, University of Chicago, Macaulay Honors College @ Hunter, St. Johns University, Hampton, Howard, Georgetown SFS, American University; waitlisted @ Yale (whatevs, yo. I didn’t love them anyway.)
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: University Scholars program @ Columbia (kinda like honors); Macaulay (is an honors program), Honors @ St. Johns, Honors @ American University</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 2270 (800-CR; 710-M; 760-W)
[</em>] SAT IIs:800 USH; 700 Math II; 790 Literature
[<em>] ACT: did not take
[</em>] GPA: 97.6%UW/101.1%W
[<em>] Rank: 3/255
[</em>] Ap Courses: Art History, Biology, U.S. Government and Politics, English Literature & Comp, Calculus AB, Spanish Language [previously taken = Env. Sci; U.S. History; English Language; World History –>all 5]
[<em>] Other stats:
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Essays: I consider my CommonApp essay to be my best writing. Ever. My Princeton supplemental essay was straight-up policy wonkish; my Harvard supplemental essay was a diary entry from when I was 14 years old. I think that my second essay (for Princeton) was good, but not my best writing. But hey, it WORKED. :smiley:
[<em>] Teacher Recs: Excellent.
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Three lines. :mad:
[<em>] Hook (if any): um yeah, we’re all URM! I have no horror story to tell (or at least I didn’t mention it in my interviews/essays). I mean, my parents went through a wonderfully nasty divorce when I was about 7 (and I didn’t find out that they were divorced until a few months ago :)), I grew up living on a thin dime, and shopping at the Salvation army was a luxury for me. My mother does have a degenerative disease, ankylosing spondilytis, that went undiagnosed for nearly 8 years and almost killed her. But that wasn’t the focus of my essays. I spoke about who I was, not about what had happened to others and indirectly affected me. Pm me if you’d like a copy of my essays.
[/ul]Location/Person: LI, NY[ul]
[</em>] State or Country:New York
[<em>] School Type: Public w/ ~65% graduation rate; sends ~45% of graduates to college
[</em>] Gender: Female
[<em>] major strength/weakness: Strengths: Jesus loves me. Weaknesses: Everything else.
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: I think I was waitlisted at Yale because I didn’t take enough time on the supplemental essays, in addition to the fact that they were probably looking for something I couldn’t offer. They were building a class and didn’t envision me as a part of it. For my acceptances, the adcoms felt I could offer something to the class, and I’m lucky that they did.
[<em>] significant awards/recongitions: meh. pm me if you want the whole thing. I was a National Achievement Scholar. That’s like the biggest thing on my pathetic resume.
[</em>] summer activities: Reading and working??
[/ul]Other Factors: Current income bracket = $140,000+ (will most likely drop dramatically next year. :))</p>

<p>None, really.</p>

<p>Good Luck Everyone !</p>

<p>I wanted to put the ones I put on the rest of the threads here, since they were more thorough.</p>

<p>Princeton, Harvard, University of Chicago, Macaulay Honors College @ Hunter, St. Johns University (Honors), Hampton, Howard, Georgetown SFS, and American University Honors (accepted); Yale (waitlist)
Objective:**[ul]</p>

<pre><code>[li] SAT I (breakdown): 2270 (800-CR; 710-M; 760-W)[/li][li] ACT: did not take[/li][li] SAT II: 800 USH; 700 Math II; 790 Literature[/li][li] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 97.6% UW; 101.1% W[/li][li] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 3/255[/li][li] AP (place score in parenthesis): Environmental Science, U.S. History, English Language and Composition, World History –>5[/li][li] IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A[/li][li] Senior Year Course Load: AP Art History, AP Calculus AB, AP Spanish Language, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Biology, AP U.S. Government and Politics[/li][li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Hm. National Achievement Scholar?? Otaku of the Year?? National Merit Commended?? and AP Scholar with Honor definitely clinched it, yo. [/ul][/li]</code></pre>

<p>**
Subjective:**[ul]</p>

<pre><code>[li] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Math Fair (silver medalist; president of Math Club); Mathlete (I suck lol); Model U.N. (committee chair; some Best/Distinguished Delegate awards at the beastier conferences on the East coast); Mock Trial (captain & president; ranked 4th in county from being dead last 3 years ago); Varsity Track & XC (captain; some medals at the more competitive invitationals & such); School Newspaper (Editor-in-Chief, winner of a few major awards); Pit Orchestra section leader (violin); Lotsa awards for Piano w/ some at national level (>15 awards total); and a few more things that would only attract lulz here[/li][li] Job/Work Experience: Counselor at summer camp for high-achieving students (in Harlem); side business of repairing headphones (I only mentioned this in the interview, dunno if it counted.)[/li][li] Volunteer/Community service:ESL teacher; Sunday School teacher[/li][li] Summer Activities: reading??? (and work)[/li][li] Essays: Common App essay was my finest work. Supplemental essay was a tearful, overwrought diary entry from when I was 14. But hey, I guess it worked.[/li][li] Teacher Recommendation: Excellent.[/li][li] Counselor Rec: three lines. -_-[/li][li] Additional Rec: N/A [/ul][/li]</code></pre>

<p>Other:[ul]</p>

<pre><code>[li] State (if domestic applicant): New York[/li][li] Country (if international applicant): I’m still a Haitian citizen, but was considered domestic.[/li][li] School Type: Public[/li][li] Ethnicity: Haitian[/li][li] Gender:Female[/li][li] Income Bracket: $140,000+ (but single parent who pays full sticker price for bro’s tuition, which is around $18,000; some pretty heavy-duty mortgages; supports approx. 12 relatives in Haiti => the money is stretched quite thin)[/li][li] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM; immigrant (??)[/ul][/li]</code></pre>

<p>Reflection:[ul]</p>

<pre><code>[li] Strengths: I don’t know. I was so sure I would be rejected. There are so many amazing people here, and the fact that the admissions committee felt I had something to offer still blows me away.[/li][li] Weaknesses: Refer to everything I wrote above.[/li]</code></pre>

<p>[<em>] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I was accepted because of luck and God’s blessing. Nothing less, nothing more.
[</em>] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I was waitlisted at FALE, haha. Again, they’re building a class. And I guess I didn’t have what they were looking for. It doesn’t hurt that my interview sucked for them, too. I was also accepted at: Princeton, Harvard, University of Chicago, Macaulay Honors College @ Hunter, St. Johns University (Honors), Hampton, Howard, Georgetown SFS, and American University Honors.[/ul]</p>

<p>**
General Comments:** Good Luck!! Don’t give up. Ever. People looked at me pityingly when I told them where I was applying, but it worked out in the end. Even if you spaz in the few days before and rack up >300 posts in 3 days because you’re terrified (like I was), soldier on. If you don’t go to a top 10 school, you’ll undoubtedly get to go somewhere else that’s just as good. God has a plan for you, and it’ll be fulfilled wherever you go.
On a side note, I was set on attending Macaulay Honors this fall. Now I’m hopelessly confused.</p>

<p>Here’s a new template (just copy and paste):</p>

<p>[noparse]</p>

<p>Objective:

[ul]</p>

<p>[li] SAT I (breakdown):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] ACT:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] SAT II (if submitted):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Grades in AP/IB/honors classes (if applicable):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] AP (place score in parenthesis):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] IB (place score in parenthesis):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Senior Year Course Load:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]</p>

<p>[ul]</p>

<p>[li] Extracurriculars (place leadership and number of years participated in a certain activity in parenthesis):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Job/Work Experience:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Volunteer/Community service:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] EC short answer (subject and personal opinions on it):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] General Essay (subject and personal opinions on it):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Second Essay (subject - and personal opinions on it):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Teacher Recommendation (only if you saw it):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Counselor Rec (only if you saw it):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Additional Rec (only if you saw it):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Interview:[/li][/ul]</p>

<p>Other

[ul]</p>

<p>[li] State (if domestic applicant):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Country (if international applicant):</p>[/li]
<p>[li] School Type:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Ethnicity:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Gender:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Hooks (URM, first generation college, research, etc.):[/ul]</p>[/li]
<p>Reflection

[ul]
[li] Strengths:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Weaknesses:</p>[/li]
<p>[li] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected:[/li][/ul]</p>

<p>General Comments: Good Luck!!
[/noparse]</p>

<p>Edit: please add spaces as necessary.</p>

<p>Where were you accepted: Columbia, Princeton, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Northwestern, USC, Boston University, Syracuse, DePauw, Arizona State University
Did you get any scholarships/ Honors program: the academic success program (ASP) at Columbia which said something about National Opportunity Program (NOP) <<< Please inform me, I’m so lost on it</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 2010 (650 CR 640 M 720 W)
[</em>] SAT IIs: 590 Spanish w/ Listening (ughh) 570 Lit (ughh) 620 US History (shocked me lol)
[<em>] ACT: 28
[</em>] GPA: 3.6/4.5
[<em>] Rank: 21/577 (which was like a week or 2 ago, now it’s 548. Those kids probably just aren’t graduating)
[</em>] Ap Courses: Full IB lol
[<em>] Other stats: LEDA Scholar, enough said. I’m so grateful for the LEDA Scholars Program. It opens up so many doors for me.
[</em>] Essays: Amazing. My Penn optional made me cry. My Princeton supplement was very personal and used the same one for Columbia
[<em>] Teacher Recs: Amazing I’m sure. My teacher’s gonna cry with me today when I tell her. She knows my family problems, and she knows me as a student. I’m thankful for her. Like a mom to me.
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Amazing
[<em>] Hook (if any): um yeah, were all URM! << lol, LEDA Scholar, first generation college student (my mom hasn’t graduated yet, but I know she will soon)
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: AZ
[<em>] School Type: Public
[</em>] Gender: F
[<em>] major strength/weakness: I don’t wanna say scores and GPA. I don’t because I was the kid who stressed then learned how to not stress. I had friends on the phone with me from different cities TELLING me to go to bed, but I refused to. I worked hard. I had some pretty good scores, I could’ve gotten higher perhaps, but I’m proud that I got those b/c I never thought I would.
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: God is good. Point blank. He knew this was coming from day one. And when I sent my apps off, I prayed. I was open. There’s no sugarcoating at all. I was open.
[<em>] significant awards/recognitions: Scholarship Pageant Award, Delta GEMS (President), Nat’l French Exam, Nat’l Achievement Commended, Voice of Democracy Certificate of Merit (oops I put Citizenship something on the other board somewhere on this site. SORRY), and just some school awards
[</em>] summer activities: LEDA Scholars Program @ Princeton, Pathfinders Summer Program @ Indiana University, visiting family and friends back home in Indiana
[/ul]Other Factors:[ul]
[<em>] My writing instructor from LEDA was amazing. I don’t care how many drafts we went through. I was happy with those essays at the end. I knew my essays were really good.
[</em>] My SAT/ACT instructors from LEDA showed us how to manipulate the test. I went from an 1860 to a 2010. I always had a a 28 ACT but b/c of LEDA, superscored it would be a 30.
[*] I was personal. I won’t forget where I came from. I never try to hide that EVER. And my essays showed that. I’m just thankful. I’m still taking it all in lol.[/ul]</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): 2160 (740CR, 700M, 720W)
[</em>] ACT: N/A
[<em>] SAT II: 720 Chem, Math II 730 Bio
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 5%
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): N/A
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis): None, but all A’s for British AS Levels
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: 4 A level subjects
[<em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Nothing outside school
[</em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Student Representative Council President, Editor-in-Chief of School newspaper, Prefect Body, etc.
[<em>] Job/Work Experience: NONE (not available in country i live in)
[</em>] Volunteer/Community service: Lots of involvement in selling/organizing at Community gatherings i.e. fun fairs, table top sales, etc.</p>

<p>[<em>] Essays: Fabulous
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation: Great
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Very positive and genuine
[</em>] Interview: Went pretty well, I would say
[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant):
[</em>] Country (if international applicant): Middle East
[<em>] School Type: Private
[</em>] Ethnicity: Black
[<em>] Gender: F
[</em>] Income Bracket: 100000+
[li] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): maybe URM, Third Culture American, British Curriculum</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[<em>] Strengths: My hooks, my transcript, involvement in my school
[</em>] Weaknesses: My SATS (Subject ones especially)
[<em>] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I think they liked the fact that I am a very “globally aware” person, as I have been living in a country that is extremely diverse. In addition, I have strong grades in my transcripts, and a lot of involvement in the school (which makes up for the lack of volunteer/job opportunities in this region)<br>
[</em>] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: rejected Harvard, waitlisted Yale, accepted Princeton, Stanford, Columbia, U Penn, Cornell, Duke, Wellesley, U Mich, Ohio State, Ohio Wesleyan, Case Western, Miami University and a number of others</p>

<p>[/ul]General Comments: Completely shocked. Did not anticipate acceptances from so many places! I really don’t know how this happened. I am just… Shocked.
To those accepted- Amazing job. I hope you have a great experience wherever you go!
To those waitlisted- Stay strong. People DO get bumped up!
To those rejected- Don’t worry, you are still an amazing student with an amazing personality, and you deserved to get in just like every one of us!</p>

<p>**Stats: Accepted: The Wharton School at The University of Pennsylvania ED **[ul]
[<em>] SAT: 2320 1520/1600 (I took it again just for kicks)
[</em>] SAT IIs: 750 Bio, 740 US Hist
[<em>] ACT: NA
[</em>] GPA: 3.7 (Prep school)
[<em>] Rank: top 15-20th percentile (my school does not rank so i’m just throwing a dart in the dark here)
[</em>] Ap Courses: 5 US Hist, 5 Bio, 5 Literature. taking gov, micro and macro econ, and calc this year.
[<em>] Other stats:
[</em>] Essays: Excellent
[<em>] Teacher Recs: Excellent
[</em>] Counselor Rec: Excellent
[<em>] Hook (if any): URM, Rec from Clinton administration official (also a Yale Law school lecturer and the CEO of a boutique firm), Rec from world famous TIME 100 politician, intensive economic research.
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: CT (From / have roots in many places but it would be too revealing)
[<em>] School Type: Top Boarding School
[</em>] Gender: M
[<em>] major strength/weakness: My research, my speaking skills in debate etc
[</em>] why you think you were accepted/rejected/defered where you were: recs, leadership (pres. of student body, secretary general at ymun conference, 2 time Yale MUN best delegate winner, etc.
[<em>] significant awards/recongitions: Ap scholar ? nothing much really.
[</em>] summer activities: Worked for a world famous politician over the summer and the yale lecturer on my microfinance research.
[/ul]Other Factors: have roots / lived in 3 continents. Speak 2 languages. have excellent returns on my portfolio.</p>

<p>^ By 10-15 percentile do you mean the bottom 10-15% or top 10-15%?</p>

<p>and congrats everyone!</p>

<p>Accepted at Brown University ED and UMiami (I sent my RD out in November and received an early notification - I guess they didn’t get my withdrawal email =P)</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): N/A
[</em>] ACT: 30/31 (I just realized that the schools I applied to superscore ACT)
[<em>] SAT II (if submitted): Math II - 760
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): My school doesn’t calculate GPA’s, but I’m guessing around a 3.7?
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): My school doesn’t rank
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): AP US History (3) AP English Lang (4)
[<em>] Senior Year Course Load: Calc, AP Gov & Pol, AP Spanish, AP Environmental, Art
[</em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Achievement Semifinalist
[/ul]
Subjective:

[ul]
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership and number of years participated in a certain activity in parenthesis): All-County track runner; organize yearly walkathons for AIDs prevention and raised thousands; created an organization with my friends that supplies science and music equipment to inner-city schools. Did lots of lobbying on K-Street as well
[</em>] Job/Work Experience: Not much. I’m a tutor though!
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service: LOADS. I work with Habitat for Humanity, and even got to go down to NOLA after Hurricane Katrina and begin the cleanup.
[</em>] EC short answer (subject and personal opinions on it): I tied all my EC’s together nicely
[<em>] General Essay (subject and personal opinions on it): Very personal. I was completely honest, and I think that showed. It was a pretty serious topic, but I made sure it didn’t turn into a sob-story
[</em>] Second Essay (subject - and personal opinions on it): much more light-hearted and creative
[<em>] Interview: I thought it went very well[/ul]
Other[ul]
[</em>] State (if domestic applicant): NYC
[<em>] School Type: Private
[</em>] Ethnicity: Black
[<em>] Gender: Female
[</em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, research, etc.):[/ul]
Reflection[ul][<em>] Strengths: my essays and EC’s
[</em>] Weaknesses: test scores could be stronger
[li] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I was honest and let my passion shine through my application[/ul][/li]General Comments: Good Luck!!</p>

<p>^Er. What schools??</p>

<p>Accepted: Cambridge, Harvard, MIT, Dartmouth, Swarthmore, Georgetown, UChicago
Waitlisted: Yale
Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown):800 CR, 700 M, 800 W
[</em>] ACT: 30, not submitted anywhere
[<em>] SAT II (if submitted): 770, 760, 760, 670. Only MIT saw the 670 (it was oen of the required tests)
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.83
[<em>] Grades in AP/IB/honors classes (if applicable): Mostly A’s. B for first semester Calc BC, C for first semester Phys C (but only Harvard, Dartmouth, Swat, and Yale saw that during app season)
[</em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 13/324 for Cambridge, MIT, Georgetown, UChicago, 12/321 for Harvard, Dartmouth, Swat, and Yale
[<em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): Art History (5), Calculus BC (4, AB subscore 5), English Language (4), Human Geography (5), US History (4)
[</em>] IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
[<em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP World History, AP Phys C, AP Chem, AP English Literature, Chamber Orchestra. During first semester took one college course, Multivariable calc, and one community college course, French Composition and Conversation
[</em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NMF & NAF? I don’t think those are major
[/ul]
Subjective:

[ul]
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership and number of years participated in a certain activity in parenthesis): Ballet (uh, difficult to say number of years. 5 serious ones), Community Action Team (3 years), Academic Quiz Team (2 years), Math Team (3 years)
[</em>] Job/Work Experience: Tutor, “specially selected” by school’s alumni foundation
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service: tutoring 2nd graders, hosting yard sales, coordinating meetings with diff organizations, finding places to donate too. I’m one of the more involved members of the community service club.
[</em>] EC short answer (subject and personal opinions on it): Ballet, adapted from a TASP essay. I was rejected from TASP, but I think it was good. Georgetown commented on it in the Christmas letter they send to all EA acceptees.
[<em>] General Essay (subject and personal opinions on it): Books. I’ve come to dislike it. I think I reached too high for my topic. But this was only my essay for ComApp schools
My MIT essays were amazing, as were my Chicago supp essays
[</em>] Second Essay (subject - and personal opinions on it): I’ll talk about my Georgetown & Cambridge essays here, since I edited & reused them.
Georgetown was good. About my friend moving away (btw, she just got into Princeton)
[<em>] Teacher Recommendation (only if you saw it): Saw one, it was awesome.
[</em>] Counselor Rec (only if you saw it): Did not see.
[<em>] Additional Rec (only if you saw it): Did not have.
[</em>] Interview: In order, from best to worst: Chicago, Harvard, Swat, MIT, Cambridge, Yale, Georgetown. No interview for Dartmouth.
[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): Ohio
[</em>] Country (if international applicant): USA
[<em>] School Type: Public, test-in
[</em>] Ethnicity: black
[<em>] Gender: female
[</em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, research, etc.): URM[/ul]
Reflection[ul][<em>] Strengths: No idea.
[</em>] Weaknesses: Chem SAT II, weak in math/sci
[li] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Dunno.[/ul][/li]General Comments: [none] Good Luck!!</p>

<p>@ksarmand, i fixed it :)</p>

<p>^Haha, okay. Congratulations to you, tho. Props for Brown. :D</p>

<p>@Millancad-- Wait the Cambridge in England?? how’s their admissions? lol</p>

<p>Accepted at: Columbia, Swarthmore, Vassar, Oberlin, Northeastern, Drexel (w/ 25k in merit money)
Will be attending: Columbia! </p>

<p>Objective:</p>

<ul>
<li>ACT: 28 (E: 31, M: 21, R: 34, S: 25, 11 Essay)</li>
<li>Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.5 (In part due to family issue; explained in rec)</li>
<li>Weighted GPA: 3.8</li>
<li>Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 8%</li>
<li>AP (place score in parenthesis): AP English Lang: 5, APUSH: 3, AP Psych: 4</li>
<li>Senior Year Course Load: Pretty heavy</li>
</ul>

<ul>
<li>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): Tons - leadership in almost all school related activities;
-Peer Counselor in College Center at school (Team Leader)
-Music Club/School Podcast (Founder/President/Producer of podcast. Also monthly field trips to Los Angeles for concerts.)
-Guitar lessons afterschool (Founder/Curriculum Writer/Teacher)
-Teaching computers to senior citizens (Won Cool Kid award for this)</li>
<li>Job/Work Experience: Restaurant Busser, 8 hrs/wk for a few months in '08.</li>
<li>Volunteer/Community service: Teaching guitar lessons, Volunteering Group with four major service learning projects/yr. Didn’t count the hours, but I’d say a good 300+.</li>
<li>Summer Activities: TASP (Telluride Association Summer Program), CLAE (Carleton Liberal Arts Experience), UCLA Early Academic Outreach Program, LA County Bike Coalition Internship, California Youth Think-Tank program at USC.</li>
<li>Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Gates Millennium Finalist, Questbridge College Prep, KABC 7 Cool Kid Award, “Facing History Within Ourselves” Project (Published Photography Exhibit, Curated in Skirball Cultural Center, Los Angeles, CA)</li>
<li>Essays: Excellent, I think. It definitely felt like “me”. I wrote about a song from my favorite artist (Waltz #2 by Elliott Smith, if anyone recognizes the song) that inspired me to start teaching guitar lessons. Not as bland as it sounds!</li>
<li>Teacher Recommendations: Amazing. I’ve only read one, but it’s from a teacher that understands my situation well and whose class I thoroughly enjoyed. The other I haven’t read yet.</li>
<li>Counselor Rec: Excellent as well.</li>
<li>Additional Rec: From my TASP factotum and Columbia '09 grad.</li>
<li>Interview: Excellent as well. The interview lasted well over two hours. Very friendly guy.</li>
</ul>

<p>Other</p>

<ul>
<li>Date Submitted App: Day of</li>
<li>State (if domestic applicant): CA (SoCal)</li>
<li>School Type: Very large public (which may or may not be taken over by the district come next year?)</li>
<li>Gender: Male</li>
<li>Ethnicity: African-American/Black</li>
<li>Income Bracket: Lower-Middle-Income (Divorced parents, together around 80k)</li>
<li>Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM status, TASP, Questbridge, Additional Rec, Published Photography Exhibit</li>
</ul>

<p>Reflection</p>

<ul>
<li>Strengths: EC’s, Awards, Recs, Essay, Interview</li>
<li>Weaknesses: Very lopsided grades and test scores.</li>
<li><p>Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected I really think that my additional rec nudged me in. My factotum used many of his personal experiences as a Columbia student and aspects of it that he foresees me getting involved in there.</p></li>
<li><p>General Comments: I hope that some kids realize that admissions isn’t all about grades and test scores (though those are important). Personality and passion isn’t stressed enough on CC. If you really love something, do it, and dedicate yourself to it. It can possibly level out the things you’re not so strong at, especially if it’s in one or two categories. I think Columbia looks more for dynamic people that’ll take advantage of opportunities and the city than strictly extremely strong numbers.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>I think that people may see this and go "Hey, any black kid can get in with a 3.5 and at least an 1800. You never really know. I was sure I would get rejected from Columbia because of my grades and my lopsided test scores, but I think depending on the school they look more for potential. And never underestimate the power of a strong mid-year report. </p>

<ul>
<li>Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected:
Rejected: Brown, Harvard, Yale. Who needs 'em? Hah.</li>
</ul>