Official Regular Decision Admissions Thread for Class of 2027

My impression so far is that it is less about how much they want your particular student, but rather just each school’s method of handling that part of the process. Last year, my S22 had attention that ran the gamut from his safety sending him frequent emails about his major selection and some stickers and a water bottle to his reach (that he was thrilled to attend no matter what) sending him a journal, a novel, and a personalized note from his admissions officer saying she knew he would like the book because of what he wrote about in his essays. Two of his schools (one target and one reach) sent nothing but emails. This year my S23 has gotten only lots of emails from his safety and his target has sent him a journal, stickers, and a pair of fun school logo socks. He’s still waiting on reaches.

2 Likes

What kind of “attention” is your D23 getting, if you don’t mind my asking? I thought it was kind of fun seeing the different ways the schools handled that period between admission and commitment!

1 Like

Wow. We’ve gotten zilch from EA acceptances.

1 Like

My D has received lots of stickers, a brief personal note and a scarf.

5 Likes

Nice. Our applicant has received absolutely nothing.

4 Likes

My assumption that this kind of stuff just varies by school and not anything to do with the particular student is based on purely anecdotal evidence. Now I’m curious. Anyone else notice a pattern? Both my S22 and S23 were admitted to their state flagship. Because of their majors, for one it was a safety and for the other it was a target, and they applied to different colleges within the University. Other than the stickers, the stuff they received was different, so that’s what leads me to believe it’s nothing to do with the kid, but rather the university (or in this case the specific college).

3 Likes

I do also believe it is the school that sets the tone. One thing that stood out to me (besides amazing aid pkg and multiple honors programs/scholarships they want her to apply for) was a personal letter, snail mailed, from a very successful graduate in the major my D is going for with option to connect. Nice touch.

3 Likes

I agree, it is somewhat akin to college mail in that each college has a way of doing things.

3 Likes

Looks like my son applied to the wrongs schools :laughing:

2 Likes

I might be in the minority but I prefer $ over stickers :rofl:.

14 Likes

Please add Western Carolina University.

1 Like

Our experience so far is that this has been different based on the kind of school. Public universities have sent folders with stickers, expensive private schools have sent slick materials but no swag, and his one not-for-profit university acceptance, Loyola New Orleans, sent a really nice welcome package–a big box with swag, including an umbrella and bandana that are related to Mardi Gras and a confetti-shooter-stick that befuddled us until we shook it and the whole living room was covered in tissue paper. :laughing:

It was clearly a welcome package for everyone–not personalized–and I would not worry if my kid didn’t get this sort of thing from any other schools.

3 Likes

Swag is a fun topic!

U Rochester - cool tee shirt at a prospective student visit. Considering their $332,000 price tag for four years, a tee shirt is the least they can give away! :joy:

Vermont - Admitted student event. Gave reusable utensils. Perfect and something kiddo actually uses.

Elon - One sticker

That’s all I remember for now!

3 Likes

U Rochester was at the top of my D’s list for a while, in part thanks to that free t-shirt when she toured there. The only other swag she received while touring that I remember was a string bag from the UNH Theatre Dept when she met with them and sat in on a class during her tour day.

She’s been accepted to 3 schools so far:

UMassAmherst: Sent stickers. Promised swag at Accepted Student Events, which we have not been to yet (they’ve already had one for EA students). We receive about one email a week from them.

Sarah Lawrence: Nothing. We’ve barely heard from them since she was admitted back in December.

University of New Hampshire: Received a package from them with a lined journal/notebook and a few other items that I can’t remember - maybe a canvas bag and a few smaller items. She was thrilled. She was accepted as an English major and it felt like the swag was tailored to that, or maybe she was just lucky. We also receive 1-3 emails a week from them.

3 Likes

Could you add University of Rochester?

2 Likes

Our favorite swag/merch so far has been a calendar with encouraging notes hand written throughout in marker and fun designs.
From other schools we’ve received stickers, stuffed mascot, pennant flag, and maybe a stress ball.

2 Likes

Can you add Williams? I will be very grateful!

1 Like

Anybody know about Bard or Bowdoin? I have March 18 written down for Bowdoin, but not sure where I got that. And just late march for Bard. Any hints on more specifics? It’s so hard to plan tours for the opposite coast for spring break, 1st week of April, without knowing where she got in.

I would also like to know a date for Bard!

2 Likes

Their website says 4/1.