***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@JaneDoe25

Not sure your school ranks or not, but if you are in top 1%, it would make your case stronger given your GPA. Assuming you are going to submit ACT only, you have decent chance for some of the tier 1 programs as well. Also, apply broadly and not limit yourself to some artifical counts. You are well covered for all subjective side of assessment: Leadership, community, research, health care. You have strong “demonstrate” piece in your resume.

Here are some recommedations.

1. Case western PPSP
  2. Boston
  3. Jefferson/Penn state
  4. Cincinnati DAP
  5. RPI/Albany
  6. Virginia Commonwealth
  7. Hofstra
  8. UMKC
  9. Florida Atlantic

Good Luck.

Btw anyone thinking of applying for the UT-PACT program at UT Dallas to UT Southwestern Medical School, the program got cancelled. I found out today.

Can anyone clarify when BS/MD interviews are generally held? Are there any dates from past years that can be helpful?

@chocolatina1001 Unfortunately if you want a clean sheet, you need to plow thru last year thread and compile it. Some programs it will be just 3 specific days (like UAB) and for some programs it will go over 4-6 weeks (AMC, Drexel).
Wish similar to the final announcement decisions dates I compiled, I should have done the interview dates. May be you can do a favor to others. Let me also see if I have any partial list and will post later.

@GoldenRock thank you so much!

Here is the partial list of interview dates for last year 2015-16 cycle. If you copy and paste in excel file, it will be clean. ‘Started’ indicates the date some one posted informing they received email notification about interview. ‘Interview’ is the actual interview date. There could be more dates but this list has only if some one posted it in the thread.

Notification will start from 12/1 and interview goes all the way 1/1 to mid march and all results should come in from early Feb to end March.

Rank Univ/College/School Started Interview
3 RU 3 RU TCNJ + NJMS 2-Dec 1/5-T
38 NL 49 NL Union College & Albany Medical College (LIM) 3-Dec “1/15-F 1/22-F 1/25-M
2/8”
51 48 Univ of Miami - HPM - Honors Program in Medicine 4-Dec

187 189 University of Houston - UTHealth / UTMB 5-Dec “1/29-F
3/3-Th”
41 RPI + Albany 9-Dec

1 RU 1 RU Villanova Univ + Drexel COM - UG Prompts “12/9 App
1/23 Int” 6-Feb
47 48 Pennsylvania State & Jefferson - FAX 12/9 & 1/28 2/10-W
72 71 Baylor - Email to 11-Dec 1/22-F
24 RU 24 RU St. Bonaventure Univ and George Wash Univ 11-Dec “1/23-S
1/30-S”
140 University of Cincinnati

41 42 Boston University - LOR Postal Mail 22-Dec “1/22-F
1/26-T”
175 UofAkron Northeastern Ohio Univs 29-Dec 1/30-S
149 149 Univ of Alabama SOM - EMSAP UAB 31-Dec “1/28-Th &
1/29 F”
57 54 George Wash - SOM & Columbian School of Arts 5-Jan

99 95 Drexel Univ + Drexel COM - Accelerated Degree 6-Jan 20-Feb
156 Virginia Commonwealth Univ SOM - Guaranteed Admission GA Program (Medicine) VCU GMED 12-Jan

115 121 Temple Univ + Temple Univ SOM - Health Scholars Program 18-Jan 2/19-F
12 Northwestern UG - Repeat for HPMEUpload samples, essays etc 19-Jan

33 33 Univ of Rochester SOM - REMS 25-Jan Feb 25-27
57 58 Univ of Connecticut - SPiM+C37 28-Jan 2/9 & 2/11
194 189 UMKC - LOR special form, 3 to 6 29-Jan 2/29 to 3/3
37 Case Western PPSP Reserve School of Medicine - Pre-Professional Scholars Program in Medicine 30-Jan 3/17 Th & 3/18 F
14 Warren Alpert Medical - Brown Univ - PLME Upload samples, essays etc+C25

15 Washinton Univ Scholars Pgm in Medicine

18 19 Rice Univ & Baylor COM

47 Lehigh 22-Jan 6-Feb
66 62 U Pitt 3/23 to 27
89 71 Stony Brook Univ and Stony Brook SOM

108 Oklahoma Medical Humanities Scholar Program interview dates 3/25-F 3/28-M

I know for RPI/AMC and Union/AMC interviews are held at AMC and there can be students applying for either program at the same interview session. Usually the supplemental app for the med school comes late November and then the interview notification can come from Late December to mid January and then the interview dates are from early February all the way until early April

@GoldenRock That was extremely helpful thank you!

@Roentgen CC has historical data each year showing high stat kids who were declined for interview or rejected after, were mostly not admitted. I did ask an adcom 5 years ago during a presentation whether it is true that most people interviewed and not admitted were being waitlisted he admitted that the school expects them to be pursuing BS/MD programs in other places and is not certain they will come if admitted. This is mainly after the interview though. Lately we see a similar trend even for those who were not invited when they have very high stats.

Confirming post #181

http://www.utdallas.edu/pre-health/ut-pact

@texaspg, oh, ok, so the perception by Northwestern University undergraduate admissions staff is that if someone who is rejected from Northwestern HPME after the interview is most likely not going to want to attend Northwestern as a regular undergraduate (not at all true) and they assume that the person interviewed will likely have other Bachelor/MD acceptances (also not always true). Interesting to see the admissions vantage point.

Yup, UT Dallas has erased the UT-PACT program off their website, as well as UT-Southwestern Medical School on theirs. I wonder why as the first UT-PACT Bachelor/MD class that started in Fall 2012 has not even finished the program.

They had their second batch start MD this year. I wonder if the first batch is not doing well.

@texaspg, I was thinking the same thing as well. When the UT-PACT program first started on their website, I think it may have started out initially as a six-year BA/MD program: http://provost.utdallas.edu/wp/hpac/files/2011/10/UT-PACT-Course-Plan-for-External-Use.docx, but then it seems like it was very quickly changed to a 7 year program for everyone: http://pages.utdallas.edu/hpac/files/2012/07/UT-PACT-Course-Plan.pdf.

UT-Southwestern is now “true” Pass/Fail grading in the basic science years of medical school, so I have to wonder if the first UT-PACT cohort coming in were scoring closer to the bottom of the class in their MS-1 year in 2015-2016, or maybe had lower incoming MCAT scores (but the school couldn’t do much about it without reneging on the offer). They sure didn’t mind trumpeting the program: http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2015/5/12-31547_Graduates-on-Fast-Track-to-Medical-Careers_story-sidebar.html, and even had UT-PACT Information Sessions in April (for then current juniors in high school who would be applying to the program during this fall), so this decision to discontinue the combined program seems to be very recent and sudden.

@Roentgen @texaspg

For Northwestern, the admission on both side act independently and often, what they look for may not align perfectly with each other. A candidate can ace the HPME interview but still get rejected by general undergrad admission. In the old days, HPME interviewees can view NU as a “match” (not safety however) but this is no longer the case. The average for HPME is 1540 but NU’s overall average is already 1480. The difference is small and HPMEs don’t stand out in the classroom. With RD rate under 9%, NU rejects HYPS admits regularly (plenty do get accepted though) these days and it’s not because adcom think they are overqualified.

The scenario in post #188 applies more to most others where the regular UG admission is considerably less competitive.

Wow, @IWannaHelp, so is Northwestern HPME two separate admissions processes happening at the same time (i.e. med school and undergrad) and you have to get both checkmarks?

@Roentgen,

Yes, and HPME committee can’t overrule the decision made by actual undergrad admission committee.

@iwannahelp - can you provide a link?

I can’t find the link but I believe I read it on Daily Northwestern few years ago.
That said, http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/education/degree-programs/hpme/faqs.html shows there are two separate processes with two applications being sent to two different places, one to Evanston campus and one to the med school.

But you don’t need any link for it to make sense anyway. Interview invites were sent well before undergrad adcom finish their review of all applications and it’s the HPME folks that decide on the invite (they are also the one that decide whether to send you the application package at the first place based on your GPA/test scores). Given that plenty of non-HPME applicants are just as strong, if not stronger, it’d be unfair for the undergrad adcom to give any special treatment or early consideration to HPME applicants. A separate but parallel process makes perfect sense.

@IWannaHelp, it’s kind of interesting that it works that way at Northwestern. I mean you could get an interview to Northwestern’s HPME program, do well on the HPME interview portion, and STILL not get into the combined program because the original undergraduate institution (which, for all intents and purposes, is a formality since you’re really there for the med school) held you back. You are correct about the Northwestern HPME application which is only given to those who are specially “approved” to get it. It’s not an application you can just get by going to the website or getting a hardcopy.

I could be wrong but I thought at most other combined med programs, the undergraduate institution approves you first, before your application is allowed to move on to the med school for consideration for the Bachelor/MD track. Obviously if you’re not approved by the undergrad to begin with in terms of acceptance, then your application doesn’t move on to the special track, but it’s probably different with Northwestern since they want regular undergrad students who want to be at Northwestern for reasons besides just wanting to get into HPME, and there are enough students who want to go there.

I am not so sure. I looked for numbers showing 1480 average for SAT for NW undergrad and can’t find it anywhere. The mid point for 2014 seems to be 1400.

@roentgen - it is a parallel process. However, I doubt the undergrad admissions would reject the 20-25 admittees selected by HPME since they would be some of the strongest candidates at NW. It is less than 0.6% of total admittees of 4248 in 2015.

http://enrollment.northwestern.edu/pdf/common-data/2015-16.pdf

@texaspg

See pages 8 and 9. Mid 50% was 1400 - 1560. Their midpoint reached above 1400 long time ago.