***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@grtd2010 - NJIT Honors dorm has a kitchen, though it is pretty small, and the students are allowed to cook there. If we should rule out colleges where kids have to walk outside to eat, that would be a long list of colleges indeed :slight_smile:

To bsmd-7
The three campus of njms to njit to rutger Newark are walking distance2-3 blocks
Now in winter it is not fun

@bearchichi - I assume students will take shuttle buses and vans in winter. do you know how reliable these are?

Reddit List of places to eat near NJIT

• Chipotle, take light rail to Penn Station and walk 5 minutes towards prudential center.
    -Dinosaur BBQ, follow above instructions, next to Chipotle
  • Green Chicpea, take lightrail station to Washington Park or w/e the rutgers peeps get off at, walk a street down to Halsey street, and two blocks down in Halsey st.
  • Burger Walla, follow Green Chicpea instructions. The burgers were pretty good, but the place is pretty pricy.
  • Burg, cool burger place, take light rail station to Military Park, walk a block down to Military Park, restaurant is at the middle of the park.
  • Hot thai, Mcgoverns, anabellas, Walk down through Rutgers Newark campus (keep going further after cullimore, passing through martin luther king blvd.).
  • Krugs tavern, rated #1 burger place in NJ. You need a car to drive there though.
  • Top’s diner, you will need a car to drive here again. One of the best diner’s in all of NJ, rated for their all day breakfast menu.
  • Full House, king wok alternative, go to where subway / ez mart is at university centre, then keep heading east about 1-2 blocks. Place is actually pretty cheap and much better than king wok, you can get nice specials for less than $5
  • Harvest Table, awesome / light sandwiches, just go to where the two main campus food trucks are(Warren St) (Taj Mahal and A la carte) and keep going down on rutgers side until you are at Halsey st. Take a right and you’ll almost be there
    -Blaze Pizza, follow instructions for Burg. Pretty good pizza place, it’s like a chipotle but with pizza

Very reliable
Schedule run like clockwork

The location is fine
We are close to NYC, Philadelphia is two,Boston is four and there really is lots of places to eat—car does help for driving to enjoy amenities but subway , nj transit etc is reliable and convenient
To get around

@Mom22DDs During winter, it matters how long a walk it is ? Sometimes, you are stuck for a day or two inside your room. The dining service will also be closed during snow storm. People just stay inside home during snow emergencies for 2-3 days. People bulk up with supplies and no one goes out until clean up is done.

Thank you @bearchichi , glad the students can rely on the transportation during winter. We’ll likely wait a semester before providing a car.

@grtd2010 - Obviously, I haven’t been through a snow storm, hehe. Honors dorm (if the students get assigned to it), has a convenience store and a small kitchen in the ground floor, so students do not have to leave the building, assuming they stocked up before the storm. I think there might also be a Pizzeria attached to it. All other dorm buildings have a kitchen, but not a convenience store attached.

Winters are sometimes harsh but nothing like -40 degree temperature with windchill like in up north.

@Mom22DDs I might have missed the small kitchen in the ground floor. The Honors dorm residential space is above the ground floor and was told by students living there, they have no kitchen. The convenience store is also a small eatery with a few options. I doubt it will be open when you need it during snow storm. The convenience store is not attached to kitchen (no pathway). You have to get out onto the street to reach the entrance. NJTransit is also closed down during winter storm for hours/days. It is not cheap either to travel via NJTransit.

@grtd2010 @Mom22DDs
Here are a couple of links for places to eat at NJIT:
http://www.njit.edu/features/sceneandheard/off-campus-dining.php
http://njitvector.com/2014/09/places-to-eat-on-campus/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NJTech/comments/3w0vlt/what_are_some_cool_food_options_places_around/

Winter storm hours at NJIT campus dining are limited (Highlander Commons Dining Hall 10am - 8pm
Village Market 9am - 10pm ), and may be an issue on a few extreme weather days:
http://njitvector.com/2016/01/njit-tackles-on-snowstorm-jonas/

Question: Do we know if honors dorm is guaranteed for accelerated BS/MD program students for the 3 years?

@BlessedSSD3Dad - we heard some murmurs that they are not going to guarantee Honors housing for second and third year. Usually, students want to move to dorm with living room/kitchenette anyway, so not sure if this is an issue.

DD got into OU Medical Humanities program.

@grtd2010 Congratulations!

Congrats @grtd2010 !! Is OU her top choice?

@BlessedSSD3Dad @Mom22DDs Thanks.

Anyone on this thread with Temple/ Temple acceptance.

Post 3163 has details on facebook group for Temple Health Scholars.

@Right decision Did you accept ?

DS committed to Vandy today! so our BS/MD journey officially ended today and we have to go thru this process again in less than 4 years. Good luck to all those going to BS/MD programs and all those waiting for decisions. I will continue the thread and give my unconventional opinions :slight_smile: