***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Do the applications for Rice/Baylor, GW, CWRU, and URochester (REMS) require any special recommendations or transcripts to be mailed?

@ccuser00 - I can talk about Rice / Baylor because I just completed it. I applied through Common App to Rice and ordered ACT scores yesterday, they created my portal account this morning, I uploaded the Rice Baylor PDF application to the portal - done.

So I just want to make sure that the Rice Baylor essay is just why medicine, not also why Rice/Baylor. Here’s the essay question: What aspirations, experiences or relationships have motivated you to study in the eight-year Rice/Baylor Medical Scholars Program?

It seems to me like they do want us to talk about why Rice/Baylor because they specifically mention the program name. All of my “why Medicine” essays never mentioned the program name in the prompt. But in the end it’s up to you! :slight_smile:

This may be a weird question, but when answering the essay questions, is it better to use a subjunctive or future verb tense? (i.e. Rice would give me opportunities vs. Rice will give me opportunities)

@Mom22DDs,
Yes, my daughter is planning to go for the CNU open house on Jan 21st

Our DD is not too keen, the accreditation etc. has us all a bit concerned. She is wondering if she would be better off applying for it after BS, when these concerns should be cleared up and the college well-established. We will likely still visit on Jan 21st.

Heard Rice/Baylor is a tough program to get into ?
My D got 35 in ACT, 770 in Math-2, 760 in Chemistry SAP subject tests, and have extra curriculum activities

@Mimic17 - Rice / Baylor admits a total of 6 students to the MSP program. Last year, they received about 2500 MSP applications for the 6 spots. That is a 0.24% acceptance rate!

https://futureowls.rice.edu/futureowls/Rice_Baylor_FAQ.asp#6

I think the better denominator would be 279–the number admitted to Rice that were also interested in Rice/Baylor.

So 6 divided by 279 => 2.15%. See, that’s much better. :wink:

@hebegebe - yup - as an applicant to Rice Baylor MSP - that gives me a lot more confidence of getting accepted! :smiley:

Rice / Baylor is among the best and has many distinct advantage (cost, weather) besides top UG and MD schools. But unfortunately there is not much info shared in CC forum because they are the last one in the cycle. Rice notifies BS/MD interview candidates ONLY after it completes its UG acceptance which itself is almost in the last week of March. Baylor interview takes places first half of April. By the time, all the CC forum folks have gone thru the roller coast and have no energy and did not see any info in last year thread.

I visited Rice with my D and we liked a lot but she got only UG admission. Even the number of folks called for interview is also very small.

Folks attending interview for Uof Houston can plan to visit Rice since Rice and Texas medicine school at Houston are just across the street.

The Rice/Baylor program accepts 6 students and waitlists the other 14 or so (20 for interview).

Even though the Rice/Baylor program only officially accepts 6 people, any student who was invited (and attended) the interview, and then also matriculates into Rice (having been waitlisted, not officially accepted), also gets the guaranteed admission. Last year, I was waitlisted after interview, and then offered this conditional acceptance, i.e. if I attended Rice, I would also be the program.

Not sure why the program is structured like this. Also not sure if this will still be the case for this year. Hope my experience helps elucidate the situation a bit.

@bsmdprep Thanks for sharing the info. Indeed, that is a wonderful news if they continue to do it. Even 20 candidates for interview is a pretty decent size.

@bsmdprep - thank you - that makes me really more hopeful than the 0.24% and 2.15%. 25 out of 279 is 8.96%.

This is incorrectly worded and makes it sound like they admitted 279 and then continued into the next process. The reality is that one applies for both Rice and Rice/Baylor at the same time and 279 of those who applied for both got into Rice. However, the selection of 25 is taking place at the same time they are considering Rice applicants for admission and is not a step taken after admitting the 279.

I don’t know if it a parallel process or not, but this statement makes it clear that the 25 is a subset of the 279. So did the statement by an accepted student above.

While Rice Baylor is good program, it is a conditional acceptance. You have to meet the incoming schools average MCAT Score which was 36 last year. From what I heard many students who are looking for guaranteed or concerned about this high MCAT requirement. These students would be able to get into Baylor with or without the guaranteed med program. Rice Premed program has 90%+ acceptance rate.

It has to be a subset since one can’t be interviewed by Baylor if they are not admitted to Rice. The interviews for Baylor are given out about a day after the RD admissions. There is no way for Baylor to process 280 apps within a day. However, if Baylor picks a candidate whom Rice does not admit, that candidate can be simply thrown out.

If someone applied to Rice ED and is deferred, they are sent a note stating that they are no longer eligible to be considered Rice/Baylor process even though the RD admissions have not taken place. This is essentially telling them that they are not competitive enough if they were not able to make the ED.

I am not sure if all wait listed candidates are guaranteed admission into the Med Scholars Program. 2 years ago I know my older child was wait-listed post-interview and given admission only to UG. I also know students admitted to MSP (only 5 positions are offered last year- of which 2 were from the area).