***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@Empire007, My son will submit the RPI/AMC supplement if he gets it. Even though Union and RPI tuition is about the same, he has RPI medal for $25,000 and RPI is 3 years so the cost is a little bit better. Hence we are considering that route.

@bpc2017 Thanks!

@Empire007, @GoldenRock, do you know if we need to submit recommendation letters to AMC along with the supplement?

@bpc2017 Congrats to your S on penn state interview invite! My DD also applied for Penn State, but submitted everything in the last minute.

@bpc2017 - No LORs are need for AMC. My S submitted supplemental last week.

My Penn State status was updated too. I applied about a week before the deadline. Can someone clarify what this message means? Does it mean we’re admitted to Penn State UG and that the medical college has received our application? Or does it mean we are invited for an interview?

@chocolatina1001 What time exactly did you see the portal update? Just a while ago? or earlier?

@chocolatina1001 Based on last year’s info, you have been invited to the interview. Congrats!

@truemed I usually check all my portals every couple of days. I believe the last time I checked was Sunday. I checked today after reading the thread comment about portals being updated and saw that it was updated. Not sure exactly what time it was updated though.
@dadofd Wow! Thanks!

@chocolatina1001 Thanks and Congrats! When did you submit your application to Pennstate?

@truemed Thank you! Submitted the Wednesday before the deadline so I believe that was the 23rd.

@bpc2017 I don’t think any thing wrong or AMC will consider negatively for not completing Union/AMC supplement. But would suggest, communicate that to them (AMC office that lady is good and she can guide you). When you get RPI/AMC supplement, apply. Since AMC gives time (1 month), call them before your Union/AMC deadline and not right away. Hopefully RPI/AMC comes before that deadline. Since AMC had the complex dependency of RPI and Union, best to let them know that you are not applying so that they don’t wait for ever to send RPI interview in case.

Note, unfortunately, AMC, collects $115 per supplement. So you don’t have to shell out $115. But be happy AMC will send 2 separate emails about acceptance and rejection, each for Union and RPI to justify the $115 toll!

@bpc2017 The only time the LOR get submitted for RPI/AMC is with the common app for RPI. If your son gets granted an interview the most important thing he can do is confidently discuss his research. The Physician/Scientist program is heavily research based so they are looking for candidates who have done “significantly relavent” research and candidates who have a passion for research. Each program his its own niche that they look for candidates for
UConn and VCU are big on hours in hospitals and if you don’t have a significant amount of hours shadowing you have no chance of being accepted, others like Brooklyn/Downstate look for significant hours of community service, others like Brown look for a perfect academic record and others like RPI/AMC looks for significant research experience. The key is finding which is your area of strength and then exploit that as much as you can on your application

@sampil, re UIC interview - they are regular honors college interview consists of information session, tour, 20 min interview and impromptu short essays. General questions on why honors college, why you are good fit and passion. Super easy!

@srk2017, @Empire007, @GoldenRock, thank you for the comments.

Did anyone else receive the status update from PennState?

Should I be worried if I haven’t gotten a Siena or Union supplement yet?

@GoldenRock @bpc2017 - AMC gives only 10 days, not 1 month to submit the supplement. So, you should be quick on your toes to make a decision. I do not think not submitting Union/AMC supplement will affect your RPI/AMC chances negatively. If your research background is strong and RPI really wants you they will indicate to AMC and you will receive a supplement from RPI/AMC. But, we are all aware that it difficult to read through the minds of people assessing applications for these highly competitive programs. So, I would suggest go with your gut instincts or follow @GoldenRock advice.
Usually Maria Skar
 (lady incharge of BS/ MD program at AMC) is really busy handling too many candidates/phone calls. So, be cognizant of the fact that you may have to make the best decision for yourself.

@narkor, Thank you for your comments. AMC supplement has only 1 week time.

@chocolatina1001 Congrats on your interview to Penn! That is awesome. Quick question, did you receive an email regarding your interview, or did you just happen to check when they were released? Just wondering because I wanted to know if I should be checking my portals to colleges regularly rather than just waiting for an email. Thanks and once again congrats.