***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Does anyone have information on how many total students enrolled in the University Houston Honors Biomedical Sciences Program last year? Also, any thoughts on their average GPAs or grading patterns? This might be useful info for other considering UH HBS, so if there are no replies, I will call them tomorrow about their HBS program enrollment and will share that information here.

Has everybody heard back from BU?

DD got request to submit app fee for Drexel. I know 5 parents within a couple of miles of my home whose kids have applied to Drexel and have their status updated to indicate their app is being forwarded to Drexel, so I wonder how large the BSMD applicant pool is. Any idea how many of those forwarded applicants get asked to pay the fee - is it all of them? Of those, does anyone know how many get invited to interview?

@glassflowers - February 3rd is the last interview date for BU, that means all the calls were already made.

Any news on Howard or UTSA

how many kids are getting interviewed at BU fro how many spots?

@srk2017 - I talked to BU today. I asked them if there was a last day for interviews, and they said there is not one established and indicated it depends on the continuing interviews. They said they expect to continue calling folks for interviews at least till first few days of Feb.

Hope that helps those like my DD waiting for update/closure on BU. Sadly, they will not notify students that are not selected for the interviews, so if the student does not hear back by 1st week of Feb., they can assume they are denied. It is possible (not guaranteed), to request being considered for a different major if the student is keen on attending BU regardless of the BSMD decision. They will take them out of consideration for BSMD and consider them for the other major instead. If any student would like to do this, making that request after confirming all interview calls have gone out makes the most sense (to me).

On UH HSB, the program has been moved from Honors College to College of Natural Science and Mathematics. The lady I spoke to indicated that that the move is administrative, as the courses and curriculum have not changed. I could not get a rough estimate on the number of students that are expected to be enrolled in the program for Fall 2017 (is it 25, or 50, or 200)? It would be great if someone local can pop in or otherwise try to get this clarification.

Hope that helps.

Drexel collects fees from approximately 500 applicants and then calls 120-150 for interview.

Thank you @bsmd2017ss . I assume this includes all applicants from the feeder schools as well. Would you know more about the program and selection?

1. Do they have any preferences or timing differences between the feeders or Drexel/Drexel?
  2. One of the older threads indicates that the feeder school candidates got the decision first, and then Drexel/Drexel candidates. Is that typical timing?

Drexel College of Medicine (COM) removed most of the feeder schools this year except Lehigh and Rosemont. Next year, they will not have Lehigh and Rosemont feeding into COM. They will have only Drexel Univ as the feeder school. I dont know much about how and when they make decisions for Drexel vs other feeder schools.

The fees from 500 applicants are from Drexel Univ only; not feeder schools.

I got an interview today into Drexel college of medicine.

@Mimic17 what date is it on?

@Mimic17: via email?

@Mimic17, Congratulations on receiving the interview!! Is this for Drexel/Drexel? When did you send the application fee to Drexel Med? Thanks!

@Mom22DDs - Glad to know that BU still have few applicants to call. @rsmith0208 - I posted BU stats couple of days back :slight_smile: they invite 80 students (4 interview dates) for 20-25 slots. They already have 4 interview dates, 01/20, 01/26, 01/30 and 02/03 (20 per day). May be based on those interviews, they may invite few more.

I don’t understand why BU would not notify the candidates NOT CHOSEN. We still paid an application fee for a decision. Do they refund the application fee? It’s a breech!

UH HBS sent out emails for first round of interview today!

How did you know? Did any one else received reject/invite for either of UH HBS 3/4 or UTSA FAME?

@Texastar They sent me an invite today noon. I’ve not heard from FAME, nor has anyone I know heard back from FAME