***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@Mimic17 congrats! How did they contact you?

Has anyone heard from UPitt or CaseWestern?

CaseWestern usually comes around 01/30 and Pitt late in Feb.

@srk2017 Do case western send it by mail or email?

@rsmith0208 - I don’t know. Check 2016 thread. you all can figure out the dates and method from that thread.

For Drexel, will all people who got a message on their portal indicating “Your application for the accelerated BA/BS/MD program has been forwarded to the Drexel University College of Medicine for review.” get charged with the $150 application fee, or just a portion of the people?

@Texastar / @sciencenerd2017:

I received the email for interview to U of H 3+4 program today. It is scheduled for this Thursday, details will follow. I was wondering why they did not give enough time to mentally prepare for the interview.
I would like to know how many are invited for the 10 slots. I did not apply to very few OT schools as my parents wants me to focus in-state. Waiting for other interviews. I would appreciate if you guys share the details, as I am sharing mine below:

Class Rank 24/560. From a very competitive public school.
Unweighted GPA 3.8/4.00
SAT: Super Score = 2390/2400 or 1600/1600(CR+M)
SAT II: Math 2: 800; Chemistry: 800; Biology: 760
PSAT:1490/1520, NM Semi-finalist, I am confident to go to the final.
AP Classes - 17 total (including senior year) with 4’s and 5’s.
National AP Scholar.
Student Volunteer Leader – 110 hours
Hospital and Physician Shadowing - 120 hours
Camp for handicapped children – 200 hours
School volunteering including NHS (student tutor, committees, etc) ~ 100 hours

@toserve Agree, it is too short notice for an interview in 2 days, even for in state students. I presume, since UH has interview on 2 days, this year they decided to have the in state students for Thursday and OOS students in first week march. Did they give a choice for interview date? Are you Texas resident? You have a good chance since have hit all the barrels expected from a BS/MD student. So hope for the best.

All: In general, when making first notification, please give as much information (to avoid 5+ follow up posts). Thread will grow and hence you feel the pain to go back and search last year thread. Same thing will happen for next year students to search this thread. Hope one of you keeping track of all the interview notification dates and other pertinent details so that you can post by end of April to benefit future students.

Got interview notification by email/phone/from portal update on date & time. Inform if they gave a choice of interview dates or not. Inform if they indicated how many students are called or any other vital info so that there should not be any follow up question (or minimal questions) related to that school.

@GoldenRock- Received email this afternoon from UH, did not give any choice of date and the venue is not notified yet. Yes, I am a Texas resident. Not sure if I need to disclose that mom is a physician (She has a different last name). Probably not.

@toserve Last year, around 35 students invited for each day. Were told, close 25 offer or so to yield 10 students. Students are given green or red tag by each medical school. Red in any school is outright rejection. For green tag students, they rank numerically at the end of the interview. How they merge the 2 schools ranking or how they merge the ranking from 2 different days of interview are all not well known. But I think they are all moot points. Prepare and do well in the interview and hope for the best. GL

@toserve You don’t have to disclose if any one in your family is a physician or why their last name is different etc, as long as you have stated the facts for any questions asked in any forms. So you have no choice so go for the interview. Since there is a change of person, things are little scratchy. They need to give the details about that day. Typically, they start the UTH interview in the morning and around 12-1, the bus goes to UTMB and comes back by 5-6 pm.
Made few posts before and you can check. Watch out for UTH interview. Also for OOS parents, if you are not familiar with that place, plan for extra time to ensure to park in the specified place and ensure to reach the room on time. We felt it was tricky since the busiest part of the town and multiple park signs , next to each other, it is hard to know which one is right one to get validated.

Has anyone heard from Penn State PMM?

contacted urochester and they said REMS applications still being reviewed. Looks like we have to wait till next monday at least.

@harrp17 - That’s my guess to. Last couple of years, they release one month before the interview date. I guess this year they needed more time to review apps, so pushed interviews to March. Thanks for checking.

@Green-tree For Drexel, will all people who got a message on their portal indicating “Your application for the accelerated BA/BS/MD program has been forwarded to the Drexel University College of Medicine for review.” get charged with the $150 application fee, or just a portion of the people?”

Could someone answer this? I’ve seen it a lot but it hasn’t been answered.

@GoldenRock - Thank you for your information for the interview. I appreciate it very much.

If I am not mistaken, it is a 2 step process for Drexel. After Drexel UG forwards to Drexel COM, they filter and invite only them to apply with $150 fees. Though the probability of getting that invite is higher than the probability of Drexel UG forwarding to Drexel COM. Drexel does interview later on multiple days and they are flexible to accommodate individual need if their is conflict. Also they expect you to pay only 1 time $150 fee in case if you are also invited from multiple feeder college. (unlike AMC, which expects you to pay $120 for each of the feeder college selection).

“If your application is forwarded to the College of Medicine Admissions Office, you will be required to submit an additional processing and activation fee of $150. If your completed application is forwarded to the College of Medicine, you will be notified via email — notifications are usually sent in January. Please do not send the processing fee with application materials to Undergraduate Admissions.”

Straight from the Drexel website.

Based on the wordings, it clearly implies if it is forwarded, you will be asked to apply with the fees by COM. That is good. Ignore my previous post on Drexel then.

@doclover123 See post 567 in this page for general interview info.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20211352/#Comment_20211352

For AMC interview, some parent from previous years wrote a detailed interview trip and it was referred in last year thread. You need to search to locate that.