***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

For STony brook it is not 2 essays. One is a brief statement why you should be admitted to honors college. Va few sentence. The second is an essay about why medicine. You upload them both on the portal. The honors college that you choose has to refer you for consideration to the medical school.

When does NJMS interview notifications come through?
@orm2020 - I am sure your son has a stellar profile

Thought NJMS started interview end of Jan, NJIT also emailed to wait “patiently” till end of Jan… So good luck and hope we all going onto the next STAGE.

Academics is less of a worry . TCNJ has the highest feed rate, NJIT only 50% got to the NJMS interview.

Do you find out TCNJ acceptance # last year ?Only 11 listed…

just to confirm the two prompts I will answering and uploading are :

1)why you believe you will be a good fit for your preferred honors program?

1. what aspects of medicine intrigue you and describe you these aspects influence your life?

Yes correct

@TwoFabKids

I looked up further on the sat 2 percentile charts I have from a year or so ago (and so may be slightly outdated).

The general recommended target scores for ORMs to be competitive is >= Mean + Standard Deviation for a given subject (given at the bottom portion of the chart per subject).
So that comes to 792 for Math2 and 748 for History (urge you to double check yourself).

Since your son is not ORM and the scores are not too far off from these levels, I think it may be fine to submit the scores (if not already self reported on the applications). It may or may not help but don’t think will hurt.

Another factor to consider with respect to Math2 is that more than 20% of that test takers score 800. So the percentile corresponding to 800 is only 79. So 60 something may not look way too off. Moreover the admissions folks being aware of this may not put a lot of weight behind the percentile for this subject…

Recommend to have your son have a quick word with the school counselor or any peer guides he may have from his school.

@nightriser1

StonyBrook does have 2 essays.
Address both questions and submit them together.

Deadline- Jan 15.

if an application is forwarded to NJMS by NJIT and TCNJ; but sees that Rutgers rejected the candidate, would it impact NJMS’s decision to invite the candidate for an interview? In the past valedictorian from my school didnt get any of the NJ schools and is in BU. similarly there are kids that got to NJMS through NJIT or TCNJ but not rutgers because rutgers rejected them. these are all kids with stellar track records.

@TwoFabKids

If the scores are required, send them.

If they are optional, avoid sending them.

If they do not say anything about such scores, avoid sending them.

@Zephyr212 @screenshot,
Thank you. The link finally works!

@brainbuilder02

NJMS only sees forwarded applications and not all candidates apply to all three feeder schools.

So suggest to stop worrying about things that are not in your control.

How they select to call a particular candidate for interview remains a mystery.

@brainbuilder02 : NJMS seems to give chance to valedictorians of different schools each year if you look at the TCNJ list. Or else, lists is confined to the most prestigious districts. We put all efforts in , leave the rest to luck now.

Do you guys think TCNJ and BU are still sending interview invites? i am eagerly waiting to hear back from these schools

Also, has anyone heard back from Caldwell University?

@bsmdparent1234 Caldwell Ug interview sent yesterday by email. There was only 1 interview date of January 28. Good luck!

@screen321
I received an interview from Caldwell as well for Jan 30! Congratulations and Good Luck! How many students do Drew and Caldwell usually take?

@bsmdparent1234 not sure about Caldwell but Drew reportedly gets 5-10 spots.

Hi all, for the Stony Brook Program, where does it say we need to complete the honors program essay?
I thought we only have to answer the following question: “What aspects about medicine intrigue you? Describe how these aspects influence your life.”

Check out 2018 results thread to get an idea, remember someone mentioning the numbers with the final enrolled figure being around 16.

As it relates to the above post:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21831260/#Comment_21831260

Think the student was from Stuyvesant HS and his profile in the 2018 results thread (guess with a different name), if you want to check that out as well.

@brainbuilder02

I just came from Rutgers where my D also participated today in HLLC interview. I had the opportunity to talk to the person in-charge of BS/MD interview selection at Rutgers. He told us that they look at the medical shadowing/volunteering very closely. He also told us that for the first interview, they selected 60. After the first interview, they will forward roughly 40 to NJMS. NJMS will offer 15 to 20 seats and probably 5 to 8 actually join. As another member pointed out you have all perfect scores and may be they thought you will not join Rutgers and get into NU or Brown. It looks like there is no established pattern. I do not know why they can not have another 10 listed in wait list, so that they can move in, if the admitted students do not join. 'With your perfect scores, where are all did you get interviews so far?