***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@brainbuilder02 I know it’s hard to receive the rejections. And then with BU not calling and not sending out rejection emails. I hope I receive some good news soon.

All the best to all of us!

@carlos8 and @peebu2024
Thanks for the info - what are the interview dates
Geographic location ?
@brainbuilder02
BU does not send rejection letters - they let you know in March if they are offering admission to BU UG if at all.

@Zephyr212 I chose Jan 27. Btw apparently we have a significant tuition reduction if we are accepted to the Medical Scholars program at Upstate. It’s 90,000 for traditional out of state students per year whereas for out of state BS/MD students, it’s only 44,000 a year. We would be out of med school with significantly less debt and less stress with this program.

Only problem is undergrad institutions and the possibility that program runs out of funding and we are stuck with a bachelor’s from some not well known SUNY’s and no MCAT score ?.

@carlos8

Are you from Massachusetts?

@PathophysiologyFTW I don’t understand your comment about 44,000 for OOS students who get accepted to Upstate BS MD. What do you mean by that. I am also an OOS invited for BS/MD interview, but no where did I read that in the Upstate Medical school OOS students will pay 44,000 a year and not what a regular OOS will pay. Can you please explain. This sounds very promising. Thanks

@screenshot, @Zephyr212, @PathophysiologyFTW

Most of the state med schools like NJMS, Connecticut and Stonybrook consider their BS/MD students irrespective of their residence at the time of joining the program on par with their incoming in state med students for tuition purposes. The reason for that is by the time the direct entry students would have spent 3-4 years in that state already prior to matriculation. Just to be sure better double check if you are selected and will be planning to enroll.

@rk2017
Are you saying that those types of med schools would consider the BSMD who matriculate their med schools pseudo-in-state and give them in-state tuition rates? Just trying to understand this because the OOS COA is too high for NJMS (~100K)

@junebug20

Yes, either that or they have some simple requirements like maintaining an apartment on the students’ names (can be shared) or getting a pay stub from a local employer and filing state taxes kind of things to consider them as in state. The employer could be the undergrad school itself too.

Congratulations to all those with BU interviews and best wishes.
Others, don’t feel disappointed, blame it on over enrollment past couple of years (as mentioned last week).
It is their loss more than yours, for missing out on all the wonderful students.

What do you mean by enrollment past couple of years?

Not quite sure of the numbers last year, but in 2018, 81 interviewed @ BU, 38 selected of which 31 enrolled. That is way above the normal expected ~50% range enrolling out of the selected. One of the students in the program we know of couldn’t get the regular accommodation with peers and they had to adjust in the honors college dorms somehow.

Hi Guys!

Does anyone know when we will hear from Drexel regarding interviews for their BA/BS + MD program?

@rk2017
We are interested in NJMS in particular. Do you know that NJMS traditionally helps its OOS BSMD cohorts to reduce their OOS costs? It’d be nice if they do this. Win-win for them to retain the talents and for the students to practically reduce their COA by half. Still waiting on the invites from NJIT. NJIT just requested information updates from those whom they interviewed for the ADHC.

Hi, I’ve been a lurker on CC for a while now.
Can someone please give a numerical rank of prestige between various BS/MD programs (from HPME to low ones like TCNJ) and ivy-leagues and other T10s?
I have 4 interview invites lined up, but I’m wondering if its even worth going to them since I already have an acceptance to Harvard EA.

@junebug20

Not sure what specific efforts NJMS does for cost reduction of OOS students, apart from considering them as in state for the med school portion. Perhaps someone here with kids and relatives in the program can chime in?

Among the feeder schools NJIT is said to be most generous, making the undergrad portion free for those enrolling through them. But some folks have issues studying in Newark for 7 years.

Regarding BU interviews:

To compliment what I mentioned about over enrollment at BU last couple of years, they also have other path ways to medicine besides the traditional. One is Modular Medic or something (kind of EAP for their undergrads), another for those from socio economically disadvantaged and another partnership with historically black colleges. So my guess is that due to the over enrollment in BA/MD pathway last couple of years they may have taken fewer candidates from other pathways. So perhaps they are doing a balancing act this time by targeting to enroll fewer BA/MD folks, perhaps 15 or so. We will find out in the months ahead.

@sgup10

Please consider withdrawing your candidacy from the BS/MD programs you definitely won’t be interested in, so that others can have a chance.

FYI: NJMS (TCNJ) is NOT a “low one”, it is a well respected medical institution
(don’t fall into the trap of some often quoted faulty rankings web site)

@carlos8 , which state are you from ? And how do you know this is the last batch of interviews? Can you share your interview date ?

hi, have all gw interviews been released? if I haven’t received an email yet, does that mean I was rejected?