***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

23andMe can confirm. I am bullish.

This may encourage folks to push kids for phd in genetics rather than MD

From activity it sounds more like a nephew/niece :tongue:

Don’t know and don’t care enough to know. But when I first heard in the presentation of admissions officers during college tours of one of the above 5, that the success rate of their pre med students is 96%, it raised my eye brows since I knew it is not possible.

It is up to the students and their parents to do due diligence (if serious about medicine) before getting carried away by prestige alone and so hopefully not having to regret later.

What happens during a phone call interview. How should I prep?

I have to admit, when I was searching for a handle name, your name appealed better :slight_smile:

But you do care enough to highlight only failures from HYPSM in favor of BS/MD. Wouldn’t it be fair to applicants and parents to know success stories as well, as unbiased contributor?
No one is debating that 96% is a skewed number. That is a marketing tool as good as BS/MD program who lowers bar for bright kids and than earn bragging rights about program success. If those programs are that confident on their selection quality and care that much about best kids, they should fill entire MD batch with BS/MD admissions, why only ~5-20% of their MD freshman size?
What is the bird worth if its wings are cut?

@ppofbng

step 1 pass fail will be implemented when ?

I don’t know if they decided that way or not. But its one of the options based on what I read online. There seems to be lot of support for that option. It seems to increase diversity. The decision might come anytime as it looks like past due based on what they announced in the summer of 2019. I will defer the specifics to more seasoned experts on this site. Looks like @srk2017 did research on this.

Folks

BU interview calls/emails are still going out - one of my students got one today.

Do you have any insight about phone call interview?

@mi2019 I don’t think that decision is made.

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/should-usmle-be-pass/fail

Thanks !! We are still being hopeful.

Do you think calling them or emailing will help?

Does anyone know the breakdown of applicants in Stevens and NJMS’ program?
- how many apps they get, how many are selected for interviews,etc?

Sure, why don’t you do some research on this in your free time and publish your detailed findings here? Will be happy to know myself :slight_smile:

By the way you seem to be hyper defensive about HYPSM, your child(ren) in any of them? Or in Ivies? If so congrats!

Does anyone has opinion about residency director rankings which I think almost equates to med school ranking ?

I didn’t research this but noticed that it mentioned on SDN. I don’t agree with that proposal since most medical schools are already going P/F grading, so step 1 scores are also P/F what are they going to use, essays, LORs, ECs? Also how will they compare FMGs and Caribbean graduates? As some folks here say may be all MDs are same and they should just use lottery or throw darts to pick residents. Also, standardized test taking is one of my son’s strengths so why loose that? :wink:

@rk2017 You are the one coming up irrelevant N size every time for ivy failures, not me, so onus is on you, not me. I am not on defense or offense for any route, path, career goals. Seems you have short memory at this point. You seem to forget all of suddenly communications for last 2+ years, forget the postings on experience threads about our kids etc
You hit a new low today my friend by taking a jab ar my son, knowing he is not in any of them ! Other day you jabbed at @srk2017 son at Vandy as easy school !
So to keep that record straight with you alone, my elder son is CS Junior in top 10 CS school (UofI), younger one is a NU UG (not HPME) sophomore and doing great academically (no effect of grade deflation so far) as well as ECs (go and read experience thread if you are interested learning more about him). I will tell you another secret that you don’t know about my kids, my elder son is the reason why younger one wants to be a MD, not money but passion for medicine !

@mi2019 - I have opinions on everything :smile: Before I answer you need to tell me which category you fall in my category list :wink:

on serious note, I haven’t actually looked at them, but USNWR haters like that better. I will use my own secret ranking system when making the list for my son.

ok boomers

u funny.