***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@sgup10
If you are worried about CARS ( as a HS senior), start practicing daily now and you would have mastered by the time you need to take MCAT. Please subscribe to the following.
https://jackwestin.com/mcat-question-of-the-day

Do you think that you have a realistic chance of getting into Harvard UG with SAT 1530 ?

@sugp10

You are mistaken in your beliefs that top schools students are much smarter than state schools. With SAT 1530, one will have hard time to get into Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, Yale etc as an ORM.

Here is data for some US medical Schools
School % Interviewed
New York University (Langone) 15.30%
Vanderbilt University 8.94%
Washington University in St. Louis 30.00%
Yale University 15.04%
Johns Hopkins University 14.02%
Harvard University 13.11%
University of Chicago (Pritzker) 12.82%
University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) 14.86%
Northwestern University (Feinberg) 9.19%
Columbia University 12.53%
Stanford University 7.03%
University of Virginia 14.30%
Baylor College of Medicine 10.88%
Duke University 10.70%
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine 7.51%
Case Western Reserve University 18.78%
University of Californiaā€“San Francisco 6.25%
Cornell University (Weill) 13.26%
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai 16.38%

Generally GPA and MCAT scores are used as first criteria to screen candidates before a human looks at your application

Firstly congrats to all the UMKC interview folks! Just to let you all know, I got a supplemental application to SUNY Upstate. I cannot say for sure, but I am fairly certain it was for those who applied to Adelphiā€™s ASP. If anyone applied for Adelphiā€™s program, you all can double-check me on that haha. Just informing yā€™all!

AMC sent out more interviews today. Dates available for my son are 3/6 and 3/9. Someone mentioned that only 3/2 was available earlier. Not sure how someone only got 3/2, and other got 3/6 or 3/9.

Re: ORM categorization

Not all ORMs are the same. It does matter, for example, whether one is of Cambodian, Vietnamese, Pacific Islander or Afghani ethnicity versus Korean, Phillipino, Indian or Chinese.

In case you missed, he/she already did :wink:

@gradedu I think because different feeder school has different date. Yours is Union.

He/She must have met Harvard EC selection criteria. Scores are only one small piece of it. I would say getting into Harvard as ED is impressive.

Competitive SAT for ORM BS MD are
Much higher than requirements stated for the programs and 1530 is on lower side. Experts on this forum can confirm.

SAT scores are not a concern for Ivy premeds , Seen some Ivy kids struggle with science subjects. For them it is a easy shift for from medicine to other career paths.

S will be withdrawing his application from VCU.after being selected for interview. Just an FYI as hopefully it opens a spot for someone else.

@Vitawat345 congratulations! Would you mind mentioning your stats and EC please?

You ORMs get so stuck on stats for BS/MD and elite schools that you miss what these schools/programs care about and the quality of the application that is necessary. Iā€™m working with a wonderful young lady, ORM, with stats and ECs that yā€™all would say isnā€™t competitive for an ORM. So far she has 4 BS/MD interviews. :wink:

Donā€™t get me wrong but at this phase where everyone is competing with everyone else it is not a good idea to share the details in public. Better wait till the end of the cycle.

If you are a student (or parent of one) who is not in the run during current cycle but asking for future guidance, you can private message and ask the individual(s). Make sure you make it clear you are not in competition and they may share their info.

@grtd2010 : thanks for info. Appx 10% applicants are interviewed, so 500-800 lucky candidates would be judged by human :slight_smile:

For top 20 med schools, approximate 2000+ seats . I cannot keep thinking it is such a small number that HPYMS would fill it up ā€¦

For those who wants to dig dipper into about residencies, recently AAMC come up with residency explorer tool https://www.residencyexplorer.org/
Please note that it is a working prototype and its an official site from AAMC.

@orm2020

It is a pattern T20 medical schools do select most students from their undergrad institute ( with some exceptions like UCSF) and most from other T20s undergrad schools.

Can you share highlevel this persons STATs - no specifics needed

I have already been accepted to Harvard REA. While these BA/MD programs do have very high SAT scores, I think it might be less important than we are making it as. Pretty much everyone applying to these programs is Asian, so most will have high scores regardless. Essays are probably the factor that gets interviewsā€¦

Just reading another thread , and want more BSMD parents to read this :smile:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1989563-bsmd-applicants-college-experience-report-p5.html
Thanks @goldenrock #99 .
My comment is all the top tier programs adds up to barely 100+ seats . I would be blessed to receive ā€œoneā€ seat regardless of high or low ones.

@orm2020

Everyones situation is different my elder D/S got in T20 med school with traditional path and I feel that you should not short sell yourself with any BS MD program.

Parent Anxiety ā€¦Again you know your D/S abilities have to make decisions and I agree with @GoldenRock that at this age it is very difficult to know them and determine exactly how they will run with long traditional premed path and same risk is if you lock them in BS MD option with rough ride.