***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@bsmdmom My Adelphi interview was actually a while back in early January. There were only two interview dates offered for the Adelphi program, so the dates for interviews have all passed.

For Penn State/SKMC, I heard they don’t give scholarships to BS/MD students as they are only in their undergraduate program for 3 year. Anyone has further information on this? Is it true?

I can’t give school list recommendation without knowing all your ECs. When you are ready to apply PM me.

Your stats look very impressive. If you got research and publication under your belt, you should be competitive for pretty much any program. If you cannot achieve meaningful research, then do as much as you can in hospital volunteering/shadowing this summer. Our approach to applying this cycle is to choose programs that are the most cost effective for the whole BSMD journey. So, full-tuition/full-ride UG would contribute a long way to this goal. We stay away from full cost UG.
Essays are very important. Write a good essay about why medicine, what makes you want to be a doctor. Then, be prepare to learn a lot about each program and be able to articulate why you apply to the program (both UG and med) and what makes you a suitable candidate for the program. You have a lot of work cut out for you. Applying to BSMD will be a long journey, not a sprint. While your friends are done with their UG apps, you will still be writing some essays for the second leg of some BSMD programs and be waiting for your interview invites. You win some and you lose some. Don’t get discouraged when you receive rejections. Look forward to the next interview invites around the corner. Google “BS/MD programs.” You’ll find a full list at prepscholar site (I can’t give you the full link because the moderator will delete my post.) Each program website will tell you about that program, including what’s required to stay in and matriculate med school.

Good luck!

Well said. One should not choose any BS/MD program just because of fear of NOT getting through regular route (bird at-hand theory)
Here is data distribution for GPA and MCAT for accepted US Medical schools from AAMC
https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_A-23.pdf
If you have a GPA > 3.79 and MCAT > 517(95%), your chances of getting into a medical school (Not T20 medical school) is quite high 87.8%.

Some of these BS/MD programs have very low USN rankings. USN is one of the popular ranking publisher.
Boston University ranked 30 by USN
Thomas Jefferson (PSU/SKMC) ranked 56 by USN
George Washington University ranked 60 by USN
Hoftra University ranked 72 by USN
St Louis University ranked 72 by USN
Rutgers- NJMS ( via several feeder schools e.g NJIT, TCNJ etc) ranked 75 by USN
Rutgers - RWJ ranked 75 by USN
University of Oklahoma ranked 78 by USN
Drexel University ranked 84 by USN
AMC not ranked by USN

My D did get in to a few of these guaranteed BS/MD programs a few years ago.

They do not have to provide such an incentive. There are many candidates who will take it without any financial incentive.

Thank you so much everyone for the great feedback and I will definitely work on it.

Good luck to everyone!!

Are you referring to the UG GPA here? GPA > 3.79?

Yes, they are talking about UG GPA and MCAT.

Folks

Everyone applying this current cycle: Hang in there.
There are still 3+ months to go - RICE/BAYLOR interviews are in April.

Waiting, rejections, invites - are all part of this roller-coaster ride called BSMD applications.

One thing it does teach us is patience - something we will need in huge supply as our kids embark on a journey of 11+ years to get trained as physicians.

So, hang in there and parents - you need to be a strong support system for your kids.

Perhaps I’ll need to call BCM for this question, but do you know if Rice-Baylor will rule out everyone who got interview with BCM via Baylor2?
Thanks

I already warned my kid to to be surprised to get crappy dorm for freshman year because we’ll have to wait for all the BSMD results to come in and weigh them before committing. The wait has been long and seems to get longer by the minute
 I hope it will be worth it at the end, whichever and whenever it will be.

Some of the UG let you commit to the dorm while not committed to the college. Like a place holder. Your kid will have a “less crappy” dorm as long as you commit to the UG by 5/01. You may look into it :wink:

Has anyone got Interview calls from Rochester or Rice/Baylor

I think Rochester sends interview invites in early Feb. Rice/Baylor sent on 4/01/19 last year.

Has anyone got interview calls from HPME or Pittgap

Rice-Baylor invites won’t come out until after Rice RD decisions late March, right? Last year’s forum said something about them coming out late March.

@junebug20

I do NOT know.
I tend to believe RICE is independent of Baylor undergrad.
But BCM decides on interviews.
So, Call BCM.

That maybe for waitlisted candidates. Students have to accept offers by end of April for colleges. So Interview in April is unrealistic.

@DroneFly Though it is true by May 1st students need to commit to a college, R/B interview is the last one and it happens in April and April 24th some one posted last year got the admission.

Search Rice/Baylor in last year discussion and there are so many posts related to B/B and R/B.

Also search my post last year or previous year (definitely 2016) where I compiled the dates of each of the BS/MD programs where the admission results came first.