***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@ekballerbsmd2019 Hey! Had some questions regarding the SUNY Upstate BS/MD program if yea dont mind?

@NoviceDad
BU - 4th interview is on Friday feb 7th, so do they sometimes have one more interview day ??

@Docparent

From what I understand, Feb 7th is the last interview date for BU.

In the past, they have had snow make up dates.
Considering the extremely mild winter so far, I doubt there are any additional interview dates.

Most parents merely pay bills for their kids in college. The principal who made such a comment (like helicopter parents who would even write/call to college professors questioning grades) is ignorant of privacy laws in college. If your kid does not want you to know his/her grades, he/she can do so and you can not do a thing about it. Of course, you are not obligated to pay for his/her college expenses either.

@ubsmd2020 if u do not mind can you please share , When was your TCNJ interview?
Also did you receive email from TCNJ that they forwarded your application to NJMS? When was that ?

No.
Invites/Rejections came out on 2/06/19 last year. So it should be SOON. Good Luck!

Hey has anyone heard from Purchase/Upstate yet? They said I was forwarded but have not heard anything about the interview!

Thanks for the information! Did they send all notifications already for 120 students? I haven’t get any notification yet, when will they send rejection?

@ubsmd2020

When did you interview with TCNJ? When is your interview with NJMS?

HPME invites 120 kids for how many seats. thats a lot of kids.

Do they (NW and BU) consider the rejected applications for UG admission automatically or if we need to request them to be considered for UG?

If we have not received an invite for interview from UConn, should we assume that we are not getting one at this point? or do they send these invites on a rolling basis? It has been a challenge to get a clear answer from UConn

Yeah 40th, tied with half a dozen others

Times higher doesn’t distinguish between liberal arts colleges (usually much smaller with focused areas of study) and their bigger university peers. That’s why everything is clubbed together in their rankings. So one can find good liberal arts and technology colleges like Amherst, Pomona, Williams ahead in high places on their list. So there must have been at least 10 or so colleges like that, If only universities are considered, BU must be in 30s.
Also no over crowding of schools/universities in a tie for a single rank, much cleaner.

UConn has interviews this week and next week, so I think they have already sent all the invites.

@vmt1975, thanks for the clarification. That’s what I was thinking as well.

@Agooddoctor @DroneFly @scarlet20

Re: HPME

1. Seats: HPME selects 20 with a <5 waitlist
  2. Rejection: Last year, rejections were sent out Feb 25
  3. NU specifically asks if you want to continue with undergrad admissions irrespective of HPME decision.

DS got NJMS interview through TCNJ!!!

Also one may want to check the med school rankings of Timeshigher too :-). Under their subject ratings of pre-clinical, medicine and life sciences.
Some will be surprised Brown is highly regarded and NYU not as high as by the other website!

@NoviceDad Thanks for clarifying about the NW process !!

As gathered from last year’s thread, BU does not seem to send rejections and does not automatically consider for UG as it has a policy that you can only apply for one program. So, need to specifically request to move the application to the BS program.

As BU does not confirm about the rejections, it is not clear when is the right time to do this.

Also, Is it worth considering BU for the UG pre-med? It seems to offer 25K for NMF so it cuts down the cost. Read several good things about the college, city and surrounding opportunities but getting discouraged by the grade-deflation claims. Can anyone with the first hand information shed any light on this?

BU is not as grade deflated as some of the notorious schools out there. As mentioned by myself earlier in the thread, for the caliber of the students here a 3.8 is doable at BU. (The SMEDs have a different curve since some of the classes are exclusive and graded relative to each other and Cs are given out rather liberally).

While Boston is a great place to study with BU having some outstanding programs like Bio Med Engineering and plenty of EC opportunities, one has to think twice on the financial aspects since med school is going to be expensive all over again. But one can also graduate in 3 years going in with enough AP credits and coupled with NMS or the prestigious presidential scholarships (same amount) it may not be prohibitive.

If one wants to be considered for traditional route there, the time is now to call them up and inform. Also they have a cutoff date sometime in March to indicate/nominate BU as 1 st choice with NMF for qualifying for the 25k/year award.